Video Question

pmpddytim

Still Fresh
So how many minutes of good quality video and sound can one really fit onto a single 128mb card? And what s the best video software for the gp32_console ?

-Tim :)

well, I fit fear and loathing onto a SMC once I think that's about a 2 1/2 hour movie... it was 117MB (at 110 kbps or so)
I'd suggest using virtualdub and either divx v4.12 or xvid (the one on entware's site) it's about 1MB a minute in most cases but you can have it bigger if you want higher quality video ;) (there's lots of guides here in the gpcinema forum so check them out and figure out what works best for you!)

*yes, thank you rcx21000.. it was a typo ;P lol, also like your post count ;) Posts: 563,746,325... even though it's not the actual count it's still funny

Hooka posted on Aug 24 2004 at 06:00 AM said:
well, I fit fear and loathing onto a SMC once I think that's about a 2 1/2 hour movie... it was 217MB (at 110 kbps or so)
I'd suggest using virtualdub and either divx v4.12 or xvid (the one on entware's site) it's about 1MB a minute in most cases but you can have it bigger if you want higher quality video ;) (there's lots of guides here in the gpcinema forum so check them out and figure out what works best for you!)
Is that a typo? Or do you mean you split it on 2 SMCs?

Only movie I put on my SMC was Lion King 1 1/2. You can usually fit one full movie or a few cartoons/short movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can get bout 3-4 anime episodes on it. its really not worth the time if you dont have more than one smc... i wish i had 100 smcs :unsure:

I'm fitting up to 8 animation episodes in a smc, just play with your settings.
you can sacrifice a little quality to save a lot of money in smc cards :D, i'm using 320x176.

Aiken

Weeelll... depends on the settings...

If you're going for a full screen (320x240) movie, then it'll be something like an hour and a half at good quality. Which is, to my mind, not enough - so I encode at ~320x196, which makes things a lot smaller. Using mono sound also helps, though I try to keep it at 22KHz, else it sounds *shite*. If you encode well, with sound like that and video at that resolution, you should easily get a couple of hours or a bit more on.

If you're willing to go even more wide-screen (i.e. 2.85:1 as opposed to the other one in DVD terms), then you'll easily fit more on. I've a copy of Harry Potter 2 that' 90 mb in total because the source was very very widescreen and I didn't crop it and such.

However, if even that isn't enough for you, then there is another option - namely, go smaller than 320 :) - the video will get repositioned in the centre of the screen, and the smaller the resolution, the smaller the filesize - and requisite bitrate, of course. I recently encoded Ice Age, with truly abysmal sound (but audible) and 160x120 resolution at a bitrate of 60kbs - the result was that in high action sequences, the last couple of lines weren't redrawn, but other than that, it looked pretty much fine. The filesize - for the entire movie - was just under 40mb. Ok, it was no longer good quality. But if you're after quantity, then smaller resolutions are *the* way to go.

Please note that decreasing the framerate doesn't actually have a huge effect - maybe 5-10mb at 320x240 for Finding Nemo being reduced from 20fps to 10 - presumably because of the way they're DivX works. It may have a greater effect at super-low bitrates (e.g. my 60 for Ice Age, which should probably have been 70 in order to get it to be able to redraw the entire screen; the space gained from lowering the framerate further *might* have meant that 60 was enough. But it wouldn't have looked anything like as nice...)

I only encode with the highest possible settings because, IMO, it doesn't look too good at those poor settings. So, at that quality, it would seem "normal" to first timers. And you generally get ~30megs for 22 minutes. So, at good quality, you would get ~80 minutes worth.

Back