Video : Post-Unboxing First Turn-On

MrMarkWatson

Still Fresh
I didn't get the unboxing on video - 2yrs after ordering the bugger, it was going to be opened instantly! But I did put together a unboxing aftermath video, a look at it charging and how you need to plug in the adapter horizontally, and then the first opening of the lid! Didn't go through some of the processes mentioned elsewhere, such as calibration of the screen, and it was a quick and painless set up. Now all I need to do is to get to grips with getting some software on there. Limited time tonight and tomorrow unfortunately :-(

Video on YouTube (currently uploaded and processing) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8R5zHMxOIY and I'm off now for an hour and a bit....

I really like your vid :) I had a flashback thinking about several of ED's videos and thought about how far this project has come, now :)

I quite liked it. The inability to open PDF's was a goof. Evince was supposed to be in the firmware, but somehow got omitted. At least that's how I understood it. The inability to play .mp3's is a legal requirement, so no surprise there either.

skeezix said:
ED's packaging up evince, should be a pnd for it soon.
How exactly is that going to work, anyway? Did you figure out a way of associating files with PNDs when I wasn't looking? A file picker for emulators should be alright, but PDFs (and any other document file, really) are the kind where users expect to be able to double click the file and open the appropriate program.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
How exactly is that going to work, anyway? Did you figure out a way of associating files with PNDs when I wasn't looking? A file picker for emulators should be alright, but PDFs (and any other document file, really) are the kind where users expect to be able to double click the file and open the appropriate program.

In theory... (I don't have a Pandora, but someone who does can try)
If you click a file that has no assigned application it should pop up the selector dialog, as evidenced in Mark's video. If an application has a .Desktop file in the main menu, it should be available in that selector. If I'm wrong about the .Desktop file appearing in the selector, then the dialog should also provide a spot to browse for the custom command to use. Once selected that app will become the default application to open that filetype.

Wiz -- you'd have to make a sh-script, and associate it to the .pdf extension; the sh-script woudl then just be: pnd_run $0

I debated adding that in (as per the PXML spec), but at the time I had a bunch of unresolved concerns so decided to 'let it ride', and deal with it as the community encountered -- ie: I wanted to garner actual usage experience from people using the system before I went and complicated it all up. However that said, its a pretty easy addition to libpnd that I've thought about a couple of times, so I could add it in over a weekend :) (ie: when pndnotifyd sees a note in PXML, then check the freedesktop set of xml files for the association, and if different, change it to the one in question; or create a .desktop file association, I think that works as well. I forget particulars now offhand, but not hard to do.)

(Same sort of thing for 'shared lib' type pnds; ie: for those, they need 1) an autorun directory, such as /pandora/autorun, and 2) afgter mounting, and exiting, they need a PXML flag that says 'do not unmount'; these points imply 1) security riskfor _autorun_, and 2) how do you unmount these long-mounting guys? Also worry over.. any time you do an eject/insert, with a long mounted lib, we guarantee a /media/mmcblk number change. An option is to copy the lib from the autorun to /tmp, so that the pnd can unmount immediately, and LD lok at /tmp/libs to get them; but then we have RAM overrun (or if using another directory, a NAN D overrun) problem... so you see, it became easy for me to think 'lets see how it goes.) Also not hard to add :)

So a couple key ideas are currently out.

But feel free to comment .. I could add them in easy, just wasn't sure what direction to go yet :)

jeff

mindlord said:
WizardStan said:

In theory... (I don't have a Pandora, but someone who does can try)
If you click a file that has no assigned application it should pop up the selector dialog, as evidenced in Mark's video. If an application has a .Desktop file in the main menu, it should be available in that selector. If I'm wrong about the .Desktop file appearing in the selector, then the dialog should also provide a spot to browse for the custom command to use. Once selected that app will become the default application to open that filetype.
Sounds like a pretty hacky workaround. This is another case where a repo for the main OS would have come in handy.

femngi said:
This is another case where a repo for the main OS would have come in handy.
I think you mean "will come in handy", don't you?

Wait, there is no repository? How will I keep the software up to date?

Back