video dimensions

BIZARRE

Still Fresh
i have been reading many guides about encoding video and was just wondering whether or not gp cinema was limited to 320 x 240 and 320 x 176.

if not as long as i stick to not going above 320 or 240 i have no limit. for example a movie with a ratio of 2.35:1 would for a gp32 be 320 x 136 assuming there were no black borders. Or a film with a ratio of 1.85:1 would be 320 x 173

You can choose different sizes, you don't need to stick with the 320x240 or the 320x176. I always count the size so the movie is exactly the size as the original but just a reduce. This makes the movie get better quality on your GP32, but the black borders will appear up and down as the movie allways is centered.
So if you want your movie to be 320x136, so do it. Try and encode and see how it looks. I got great result when I use this method, better then with the 320x240 and 320x176 sizes.

Good luck! :)

great, thanks i have just encoded "Leon" without any black borders (will have when played in gp cinema). Now i just have to wait untill the end of the month when i get paid so i can actually test the encoding on a gp32.

Depending on Codec there is however some restrictions, Most codecs that use some kind of Mpeg4 hack, must have a resolution that is dividedable by 8 or sometimes 16. DivX is a Mpeg4 hack and requires 8. But The software you use to encode videos will most certain tell you this if you choose an invalid resolution. :)

Back