Viability Of A Text-based Java Rpg Using Sdl?

k3nn

*Note: sorry for the long post. For the tl;dr crowd, you can leave now!*
**Note also: I'm not sure if this is the right forum as it's not really a question about programming --- if it's the wrong place, I apologise**

Hello chaps, I'm k3nn. I've had my '2x for a long time now, and have been lurking on the boards, taking advantage of all the awesome programs you guys have been making :D --- thanks, guys!

However, I have a great desire to make a game of my own, based on the Fabled Lands series of adventure gamebooks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabled_Lands). For those of you who can't be bothered reading the link, the Fabled Lands series was a set of open-ended gamebooks, in which you had a huge world to explore with dozens of quests, oodles of items, etc. etc.. In all there were 6 books made, with about 700 locations each. PDFs of the books are now available for free download at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fabled_lands.

My dream is to turn the books into a text-based RPG. I think it would function extremely well on the gp2x --- everything is essentially menu-based, making control rather simple. It would provide a massive RPG, which would be more or less impossible to finish - the scope of the Fabled Lands world is such that it would take a very, very long time to complete.

My problem is implementation. My programming skills are limited to basic Java. I *think* the '2x can run Java programs; the runtime described at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=33184 makes me think so anyway... While I know enough to code the game with console input/output, I know I would need to program a graphical interface in SDL to make the game properly playable on the gp2x. I most certainly lack the skill to do this. :(

On the graphical side of things I don't need too much --- essentially just a main menu, inventory screen, and a main screen which displays a description and presents the user with a menu to choose their course of action.

If you've read this far, maybe you can answer my questions :D

a.) Is this program actually viable? That is, would a text-based RPG on the gp2x be possible to program and implement using Java? I don't know any other languages and would likely take a long time to learn them --- I know Java only because I've been studying it at Uni.

b.) Assuming the answer to (a) is yes, how hard would it be to create an SDL frontend for my program? I've tried looking at the SDL docs, but I find it all hard to understand --- especially for text output.

c.) Is anyone willing to help me out in creating such a frontend? ;) I'm willing to code everything else, it's just that making graphical things scares me.

For those who took the time to read this, thanks! Creating an easy-to-use way to play these books has been an ambition of mine for years now, and I'm hoping the GP2X will make it possible. If not, I understand, and will stick to making console versions to play when I'm on my PC rather than on the move.

~k3nn

Last edited by a moderator:
k3nn posted on Dec 4 2006 at 03:47 PM said:
a.) Is this program actually viable? That is, would a text-based RPG on the gp2x be possible to program and implement using Java? I don't know any other languages and would likely take a long time to learn them --- I know Java only because I've been studying it at Uni.

b.) Assuming the answer to (a) is yes, how hard would it be to create an SDL frontend for my program? I've tried looking at the SDL docs, but I find it all hard to understand --- especially for text output.

c.) Is anyone willing to help me out in creating such a frontend? ;) I'm willing to code everything else, it's just that making graphical things scares me.
You are lucky, I can help you:
a) Yes it definitly is viable. I use the Java Framework myself and it works perfectly. There is an SDL Wrapper already included and the framework is easy to master if you know basic JAVA.

B) Not that hard. You'd need someone to create the gfx, though. TextOutput is not that hard once you master it, just some issues regarding textwrapping and such.

c) I'm in no way a gfx guy so sry, but there is some great gfx people on the board who might be able to help you out.

Thanks for your quick reply! I'll get coding soon then, and hope that I can whine enough to get someone to make the visual portions for me :)

I never thought it would be TOO difficult as it's essentially outputting text to the gp2x screen, I just had no idea how hard it would be to create menus, stats displays etc. Especially with the word wrapping problem as you noted :/.

Again, thanks for the help :)

~k3nn

k3nn posted on Dec 4 2006 at 04:39 PM said:
Thanks for your quick reply! I'll get coding soon then, and hope that I can whine enough to get someone to make the visual portions for me :)

I never thought it would be TOO difficult as it's essentially outputting text to the gp2x screen, I just had no idea how hard it would be to create menus, stats displays etc. Especially with the word wrapping problem as you noted :/.

Again, thanks for the help :)

~k3nn
Perhaps not TOO hard but I'd say you found yourself a big task as your first project...you might also want to look into: http://au.geocities.com/jemann75/

Yeah, I'm requesting the source for that app as it would likely make a gp2x version a lot easier. The main problem is that I have no knowledge of xml...I'm gonna have a lot of reading to do :D

I used to read a lot of gamebooks when I was a kid...
I like the idea and I can help you if you want with both graphics and interface code.

I downloaded that java game and I can say that even without the sourcecode, the books in that xml format are really helpful and should make writing the game trivial.

Thanks for the quick and positive replies. It's nice to know that actual gp2x devs think it's a decent idea :D

Will get round to coding it asap. The main problem is that I have no idea to use xml when coding in Java; my enthusiasm somewhat outweighs my ability. I'm going to try my best to learn as much as I can though, especially since I'll soon have my Christmas break in which to study useful programming :)

Ryo: Help with the graphical side of things would be most awesome. I will love you greatly once I learn how to program.

That xml text book format is almost perfect, but for the gp2x it would need some changes.

One change needed is that html tags must be removed from the text, 'cause they would be extremely hard to implement in SDL and it's not worth the work...

There may be cases where the tags could simply be ignored but in other cases the text must be readapted to be displayed well.

It should still be pretty easy...

Bah, I've successfully broken my laptop and as such likely won't be doing this project for a while. Cheers for the support, though (-:

Yeah, I realise Java is a pretty poor language for coding useful '2x stuff in; I was gonna have to use it mainly cos I don't know anything else, and hoped I could copy most of it from the FLApp source :).

Back