Pandora VHDL for Openpandora Hardware?

df3n5

Still Fresh
Hi guys,

Is there any way to get the full VHDL code for the openpandora hardware? This might allow people to simulate the hardware with an FPGA.

Just wondering out of interest if this kind of thing is possible. I imagine actually running the pandora on an FPGA would be hella slow.

probably should IGNORE MEH, I KNOW NOTHIN

You're right, if you were to run the Pandora on an FPGA you wouldn't be able to reach the full clock - unless you had an awesome fpga.

And I don't think you could fit all the pandora on a commercially available fpga board - I have little knowledge of the subject, of course, but it's hard to imagine it, if you include the OMAP, and everything else. And naturally wifi (most probably) won't work on the same silicon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think even OPT has any means to create any useful model for the pandora because the amount of logic outside the prorietary TI (&others) chips is very minimal.

(I'll skip the logical impossibilities of fitting this all stuff into an FPGA.)

No, the System-on-Chip is proprietary and only Texas Instruments would have circuit diagrams of it.

Open Pandora is about open SOFTWARE, NOT HARDWARE, so they don't intend to publish detailed circuitry stuff either.

Open Pandora is about open SOFTWARE, NOT HARDWARE, so they don't intend to publish detailed circuitry stuff either.
I'll just pop in here to say that the idea is not totally closed hardware either; The idea is to allow open software development and open extensions of the hardware, but at the same time to prevent people from cloning the project. This means that all usable solder pads and connectors on the PCB are documented, etc.

No, the System-on-Chip is proprietary and only Texas Instruments would have circuit diagrams of it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought but I thought I would ask anyway. I thought that the VHDL for the Beagleboard might have been open source so that the pandora's could be too.

Interesting thought though, having a truely open portable system that anyone could manufacture if they wanted? Like a "gnu" for hardware? I know it's been done before but not very well.

Back