Vga To Usb

berichandcreamy

Still Fresh
CTX-00211.jpg
I want to use one of these with a camera. Would this require special drivers?

It's generally a good idea to link to the specific device you're interested in, not just a picture of it
With that out of the way, this seems to suggest that it will work, at least under kernel 2.6.30, without any additional drivers. It's probably also in 2.6.29, which is the one we should be getting, but I can't find anything that guarantees that.

edit: whoops, that's the wrong one. Nevermind. I'll look again, but unless you actually say which device you're interested in, it's all guesswork.

WizardStan said:
It's generally a good idea to link to the specific device you're interested in, not just a picture of it
With that out of the way, this seems to suggest that it will work, at least under kernel 2.6.30, without any additional drivers. It's probably also in 2.6.29, which is the one we should be getting, but I can't find anything that guarantees that.

edit: whoops, that's the wrong one. Nevermind. I'll look again, but unless you actually say which device you're interested in, it's all guesswork.

Oh sorry about that, I suppose the question is first "can I receive VGA signals via USB? and if so which devices work?"

edit: or more specifically, vga to usb video capture is it supported?

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be. Like I said, the one that I did link is for sure in the 2.6.30 kernel, which means it should work right out of the box. There may be issues with the ARM port vs the x86 however, and we won't know that for sure until someone actually tries it.
I think it's safe to say that some USB capture devices will work, we just need to be patient until we can actually try a few out to figure out which ones will work out of the box and which need extra drivers.

Hey thanks. :D

Like I've said in other threads, I don't know what to do with myself until my Pandora is delivered so I just day dream up different things I'd be interested in trying out haha.

richandcreamy said:
CTX-00211.jpg
I want to use one of these with a camera. Would this require special drivers?
This is composite, not VGA. what are you talking about? You mean VGA-resolution video? if so, that's a very bad way to describe it.

im also very interested, but im still very confused of the TV- OUT cable shown on the pics.

IMG_1033.jpg

it shows some kind of DB connector like DB-9 or VGA Connectors, actually 2.

can someone clarify this?

DroneB Dev said:
can someone clarify this?
That's not the final TV-Out cable. we don't have pictures of that. That's just MWeston's test board. Pandora will NOT have VGA or DVI out!

*Face palm*

Yeah composite then haha... what is wrong with me? Good thing I threw up a photo.

@DroneB Dev If a camera has a tv out connection you can connect it to a computer via usb.

richandcreamy said:
*Face palm*

Yeah composite then haha... what is wrong with me? Good thing I threw up a photo.

@droneb Dev If a camera has a tv out connection you can connect it to a computer via usb.
XD the question wasnt about the TV-In Pic, it was about the TV-Out one.

im very interested on Video importing Hability, But im even more interested on TV-Tuners and DVRs

DroneB Dev said:
richandcreamy said:
*Face palm*

@droneb Dev If a camera has a tv out connection you can connect it to a computer via usb.

im very interested on Video importing Hability, But im even more interested on TV-Tuners and DVRs
You asked about a tv-out cable & i answered you. rich asked about composite-in and he has been answered. there is another post about USB tv tuners. Do you need any more info?

rabidpoobear said:
DroneB Dev said:
richandcreamy said:
*Face palm*

You asked about a tv-out cable & i answered you. rich asked about composite-in and he has been answered. there is another post about USB tv tuners. Do you need any more info?

XD, if we are talking bout tv-OUT cable why u talk about Cameras (since they require TV-IN).

im used to these gadgets, (TV Tuners and Video Importing thru USB) i worked a couple of summers in a Distribution Joint of Microchips and Teksonic as the tech support guy.

nvm. this is so trivial so lets just forget bout it.

lets all wait happily for the lil good Panda to Ship To our homes and make it a Pandorastic Xmas.

DroneB Dev said:
XD, if we are talking bout tv-OUT cable why u talk about Cameras (since they require TV-IN).
Because the original question was about TV in. You're the one that brought up TV out.

Storage might be a problem, unless that usb capture device encodes in real time, you'll probably only be able to use DVSD or MJPEG if you want any kind of quality. And these are massive, MASSIVE codecs. 13GB for an hour of video.

Back