Vga / Hdmi / Dvi

Pleng

Will it be possiblt to build a VGA output adapter for the Pandora? Will it involve opening the case, or can it be done by creating a custom wire from an ext port? Any ideas? Anybody?

Pleng said:
Will it be possiblt to build a VGA output adapter for the Pandora? Will it involve opening the case, or can it be done by creating a custom wire from an ext port? Any ideas? Anybody?
They are different signals. You'll need a converter like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
crazedover said:
Pleng said:

And if you do a search you may find the thread where I asked about the VGA option for Pandora.

This thread explains why there is only composite and S-Video out on the Pandora. HD video out is definately a desired add-on, as discussed in the docking station thread. I hope we will see some solution eventually, but there is no official word yet.

EDIT: fixed links

crazedover said:
Pleng said:

Going to VGA via the S-Video somewhat defeats the purpose. My Monitor already has an S-Video input, I was hoping for some kind of dedicated VGA input to get a cleaer picture (and maybe a higher resolution? Don't know if the pandora can do that?)

(chip)
This thread explains why there is only composite and S-Video out on the Pandora.

Does it? Where? I've been following that thread for a while, and can't find any mention of why there is only Svideo and Composite. I'm not doubting it's there, my brains searching/indexing is about as effective a Vistas!

(pickle)
And if you do a search you may find the thread where I asked about the VGA option for Pandora.

I did do a search. Couldn't find your thread. Sorry if I've in any way offended you!

Pleng said:
crazedover said:
Pleng said:

Going to VGA via the S-Video somewhat defeats the purpose. My Monitor already has an S-Video input, I was hoping for some kind of dedicated VGA input to get a cleaer picture (and maybe a higher resolution? Don't know if the pandora can do that?)

(chip)
This thread explains why there is only composite and S-Video out on the Pandora.

Does it? Where? I've been following that thread for a while, and can't find any mention of why there is only Svideo and Composite. I'm not doubting it's there, my brains searching/indexing is about as effective a Vistas!

(pickle)

I did do a search. Couldn't find your thread. Sorry if I've in any way offended you!

It'll be a bit trickier to introduce a new display interface. I doubt it'd be worth the trouble to actually add a new video chip because you'd have to find/write the new drivers for that. A realistic solution would be to go the route of the PSP2TV to hijack the video signal, then use something similar to this to convert the LVDS signal to vga.

The upshot of this solution is that there should be no driver issues. Another solution is to use a USB video card, but I doubt you'd be able to find the necessary drivers.

crazedover said:
It'll be a bit trickier to introduce a new display interface. I doubt it'd be worth the trouble to actually add a new video chip because you'd have to find/write the new drivers for that. A realistic solution would be to go the route of the PSP2TV to hijack the video signal, then use something similar to this to convert the LVDS signal to vga.

The upshot of this solution is that there should be no driver issues. Another solution is to use a USB video card, but I doubt you'd be able to find the necessary drivers.

Ok so essentially, is it a case of the SoC on which the Pandora is built not being able to support VGA out?

Pleng said:

(chip)

Sorry, I had the links backwards. They're fixed now. This post specifically lays out the problems with HD out.

Pleng said:
Ok so essentially, is it a case of the SoC on which the Pandora is built not being able to support VGA out?
It supports SVideo and composite nativelly. VGA/DMI/DVI requires additional electronics, and the price is probably not worth it for the amount of people that would use it.

If your good with electronics and software development, then maybe http://beagleboard.org/ would be better for you. It's not portable as such, but it does have DVI output and lots of room for hacking.

Pleng said:
You can convert the LVDS signal to VGA and still get the 800x480, but you'll either need to disconnect the pandora screen entirely or make a special cable which can split the signal between the pandora screen and the LVDS to VGA converter.

Chip said:
Sorry, I had the links backwards. They're fixed now. This post specifically lays out the problems with HD out.

Ahhh thanks.

That's a shame. I'm not really interested in HD. Even if the resolution was the same as/slightly higher than the Pandora's screen, I'd just like to have the highest quality display available on my TV. Seein as it has a VGA and DVI port I guessed it would be a lot clearer than S-Video or composite for funning 'computery' apps. Obviouslt the TV out would be fine for games etc.

Still, while a disapointment it's certainly not a deal-breaker. I'm still planning on putting the final nail in my credit-card's coffin as soon as pre-ordering for the first 3000 is announced! :)

Squidge said:
If your good with electronics and software development, then maybe http://beagleboard.org/ would be better for you. It's not portable as such, but it does have DVI output and lots of room for hacking.

As I'm not good with electrionics OR software development I think I'd better stay away from Beagle. Looks cool in a hacky kind of way but Pandora is what I'm after :D

Squidge said:

But how can you buy a beagle board?

efegea said:
Like the Pandora, it's not available yet. They're aiming to start taking orders "before summer", so it's anybody;s guess whether Pandora or Beagle Board will be the 1st OMAP3530 device to market.

efegea said:
Squidge said:

Quite easily once it's released :)

It's not like he could buy a Pandora yet either :)

Back