Vending Machine Experiences

I think that all plugs have the same wattage... Just differnet amps & volts :)

And if you microwave water, it blows up... It's especially dangerous since sometimes it can blow up a few min after you microwaved it (hehehe... *sips tea* *tea blows up*) :D

rcx21000 posted on Mar 4 2004 at 09:15 PM said:
I think that all plugs have the same wattage... Just differnet amps & volts :)

And if you microwave water, it blows up... It's especially dangerous since sometimes it can blow up a few min after you microwaved it (hehehe... *sips tea* *tea blows up*) :D
i thought amps were the same as watts (different measurements of power available)

also the water will only blow up (actually just boil spontaniously) if there is no air trapped inside it. basically you need to boil it in the microwave to get rid of all the bubbles in it and the leave it to cool, then heat it up in the microwave and then take it out. so long as it stays over 100 deg celsius if you put something with lots of gas trapped in it (such as instant coffee) into the water it will spontaneously boil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ripping off vending machines....
Don`t know if it works everywhere, but... well, simply "reinforce" a bill with tape (Tesafilm in Germany, don't know what's out there in other countries ;)) and pull it back out after it was scanned. Instant rip-off.

I was also told that you can rip a bill at a specific point to get it expelled from the machine just after it was registered, but I have no idea where that point should be nor do I really believe it. Sounds like an urban legend to me.

And, um, rcx21000, it DOES? I doubt it. I microwaved water before and drank it. My mother does it all the time. Nothing ever exploded. How could it?

Watts = Volts * Amps (I think)

And I heard that water exploded in someone at my dad's work b4 when he put it in the microwave... I dunno?

water can explode after being in the microwave... cuz it gains so much heat and it doesn't turn into steam.. (something like that)
but it doesnt explode in the microwave... u hav to touch it with something..

So let me get this straight. If I boil water in a microwave it can explode? I think I might consider that when I'm making the next round of teas in the office ;) Also if your mum's pie is wrapped in foil DON'T put that in (ok go on then :))

I also have a theory about the kettle situation. Since much of my time was spent in southern california where its hot, the need for hot drinks is a lot less than the UK. So kettles are rarer in these parts.

vending machine? reminds me of shenmue :p

"maybe-I-should-get-another."

"not-today."

XD shenmue rocks.

I'd also like to add to the fact as well as having an irrational hatred of office vending machines, I also hate the stifled, kind of uneasy office conversations that occur around or in the vicinity of an office vending machine.

Regarding the exploding water:

If you put a glass cup ( it must be glass ) full of water in a microwave and heat it up you may not know its boiling. This is because the bubbles that occur during boiling are caused by imperfections on the surface, but glass usually doesn't have any imperfections, so, no bubbles. The water could be at several hundred degrees and you wouldn't know it :) . Then, any disturbance to the water's surface will cause the glass to shatter in an explosion like effect. Don't ask me why that happens, I dunno.

lizard808uk posted on Mar 5 2004 at 01:47 PM said:
and I thought water evaporated at 100 degrees. Is this not true then? or do Microwaves do it differently...
water will only evaporate (or boil) where it is touching air. dont ask me why,

another fun thing to do with a microwave is to put a lit match in it. putting a glass bowl on top can be even more fun.

divadsci posted on Mar 5 2004 at 04:59 PM said:
another fun thing to do with a microwave is to put a lit match in it. putting a glass bowl on top can be even more fun.
What happens?

blows up ,I had a frozen cadburys bar,I waned it to be warm and melted so i put it in the microwave,I wont tell you what happens just put a chocolatre bar with the wrapper in ythe microwave.

Deleted User posted on Mar 5 2004 at 05:33 PM said:
divadsci posted on Mar 5 2004 at 04:59 PM said:
What happens?
makes a plasma ball. it looks betetr if you do it with the bowl

Thats what happened with my mums apple pie (an important part of the american diet I believe). The whole thing had aluminium foil on it and looked like a thunderstorm going off in the microwave.

blipped4 posted on Mar 5 2004 at 09:38 AM said:
blows up ,I had a frozen cadburys bar,I waned it to be warm and melted so i put it in the microwave,I wont tell you what happens just put a chocolatre bar with the wrapper in ythe microwave.
lol i did that once cause i had a 3 musketeers from the freezer... :lol:

Back