Various images

Aeternum

Still Fresh
Website
aeternumstudios.com
Now I'm a little noobish, so don't mind me, I got my degree in network engineering, specializing in cybersec, and I still know nothing about the hardware I work with, dang education, anyways, I'm aware that there were some issues with the Pandora not being compatible with certain GNU images for whatever a variety of reasons, the Pyra having an individual MicroSD just for the os will allow me to flash whatever image I want, and the hardware should show up? are the chipsets standardized so that they are compatible with the majority of systems?

Noob indeed.
Of course this has to be an ARM image and ARM is the opposite of standart.
But if you replace the kernel, most images, for the right arch of course, should probably run without problem.

Also, Was there a particular reason for including a sata port, another usb 3.0 port would have been way more useful. I have adapters for that stuff.

Also, Was there a particular reason for including a sata port, another usb 3.0 port would have been way more useful.
The chip being used in the Pyra only has one the one USB3.0 port, the OTG port: it is not possible to have two USB3.0 ports without sacrificing the OTG. The other two USB ports on it are USB2.0. The one is a "blue USB3.0" (despite not being USB3.0) for expansion purposes, but since it has the extra pins anyway might as well use it for something; hence passive SATA port.

So ill be able to use say, the ubuntu server for arm image?
Will probably need to build (or copy) the kernel, but otherwise I don't see why not.

The chip being used in the Pyra only has one the one USB3.0 port, the OTG port: it is not possible to have two USB3.0 ports without sacrificing the OTG. The other two USB ports on it are USB2.0. The one is a "blue USB3.0" (despite not being USB3.0) for expansion purposes, but since it has the extra pins anyway might as well use it for something; hence passive SATA port.

Will probably need to build (or copy) the kernel, but otherwise I don't see why not.
Hot, thanks. And that makes sense.

FWIW, the Pandora got debian and slackware and risc os images. The reason it didn't get ubuntu or mint images is because those systems by default generally require you to run a heavy DE which wasn't suited for the Pandora. Either that or because they just didn't provide arm builds at the time people were looking for alt-oses. Later in its lifecycle, support for the PND system became more important, as that's where most of the tuned software was, and that has to be added to any OS you port, which is another job. And even then, some PNDs won't run because of incompatible changes in libraries they depend on.

The Pyra's DBP system shouldn't suffer from that problem, as I'll certainly be trying to dist-upgrade by image when the time comes. That does risk certain older DBPs stopping working, which is the trade off, but how big of an issue that is remains to be seen. I suspect we might need to apt-get some older compatibility layers as things break to keep our old stuff working.

Sticking with the default image is going to give you the best compatibility. I don't see why you couldn't use other images though, as long as you make sure the right kernel and libraries are in it.

As far as I remember, the Pyra's SoC has native support for SATA, which should be a bit faster than pushing everything through a USB converter.
Plus, as WizardStan says, the design is limited by what you can get from the processor manufacturers. There simply isn't another USB3 port to break out.

Back