Using Swap Makes Dingoo Have 64M Ram.

volcanic

Still Fresh
How to create 64M swap file
1. Copy zImage file below to the root of your minisd card.
2. Run
fsutil file createnew .swap 67108864
in windows dos window and then you'll see a .swap file
3.Copy .swap and other 3 .sh files to your minisd card
4.Run mkswap.sh,swapon.sh under dingux.(If you want to disable it run swapoff.sh)
5.Now your dingoo has 64MB RAM and better performance available.
Enjoy!
download link:
http://ishare.iask.sina.com.cn/f/8230619.html

ahahah said:
who has tested this and can review?
A lot of people have,including me.
Some games can't run before now can get a decent performance.
E.g. Hook in Mame and esprade in FBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
quartercast said:
How far could this technique be extrapolated? 128MB?
It's got a 32-bit address space, so technically 4GiB.

flatmush said:
quartercast said:
How far could this technique be extrapolated? 128MB?
It's got a 32-bit address space, so technically 4GiB.

The law of diminishing returns dictates 4GB would probably be a waste of space on your SD card.

You all don't think the claim that this makes the Dingoo have 64MB of RAM is just a LITTLE misleading? It won't improve performance on anything. It'll possibly make some things that didn't work work, but with a good likelihood of working like crap.

Indeed, it´s virtual RAM. But it works quite good, DoDonPachi and EspRaDe eg work fullspeed in FBA except some little hickups when swap kicks in, what happens only at the beginning of a level. Then there´s NightslashersX for OpenBOR, plays awesomely fine. Games using the swap tend to take a lot of time to load though, eg DoDonPachi ~ 2 minutes...
Very useful feature i think, also you can make the swapfile as big as you want, the script floating around makes a 64MB file.

volanic said:
5.Now your dingoo has 64MB RAM and better performance available.

I think he means this is a little misleading. :p

Using swap with SD cards can also decrease their lifetime significantly. I don't think it's a very good tradeoff.

I think it would be a better idea to just replace the built-in RAM or add to it (this is something I'd have buckets of fun doing). Using an SD card for RAM here isn't really a good idea if you value your SD card, and it is slow. Kinda like using an ezflash3in1 cart on the DS as RAM and to load GBA backups. Now lets try a floppy disk!

Back