Using Game Controllers For 2p Support?

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Since the GP2X already have TV-Out support, how plausible is it to be able to hook up SNES, GENESIS, etc. controllers to the GP2X to act as player 2 (And thus creating a true portable SNES, GENESIS, etc. while at the same time a XX-in-1 home console)? I remember MashMods offered SNES controllers that would work with the GP32 through the EXT port, but I believe that you couldn't have two different controllers as the GP32's controls were essentially mapped to the external gamepad. So what are the odds that modified SNES/GENESIS controllers could be made for use by a second player while the first player uses the primary GP2X controls?

With the BOB's that are coming out around the 20th of May it should be very possible given that these criteria are met

1. you have firmware 2.0 on your gp2x
2. the Joystick/gamepad is supported by the usb drivers provided by the gp2x firmware (of course if the drivers are opensource you should beable to compile a version for it yourself)
3.the Game/program/emulator supports "external devices"

imho most programmers will jump at the chance to have their program run with external input devices. Not only because its cool but because it makes multiplayer games much easier, and fun :)

BOB = Breakout box

in theory using BOB and a tv screen 1 could make an upright cabinet games machine out of the gp2x (woodcraft required)

if you get 1 with a usb port (most do i think) then goto liksang.com forexample and you can find usb adapters for mopst consoles (mostly ps/xbox)

And then people start buying tiny modified GP2X to power their arcade gaming halls with retro power *lool* !!!
Without a doubt, gamepad connectivity for multiplayer madness would be awesome!!

Isn't it better if you just put 2 controllers on it?

DTH posted on May 18 2006 at 06:48 AM said:
Isn't it better if you just put 2 controllers on it?

Where are you going to put the second controller on the gp2x? the back? :lol: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aimless_E posted on May 15 2006 at 07:17 AM said:
With the BOB's that are coming out around the 20th of May it should be very possible given that these criteria are met

1. you have firmware 2.0 on your gp2x
2. the Joystick/gamepad is supported by the usb drivers provided by the gp2x firmware (of course if the drivers are opensource you should beable to compile a version for it yourself)
3.the Game/program/emulator supports "external devices"

imho most programmers will jump at the chance to have their program run with external input devices. Not only because its cool but because it makes multiplayer games much easier, and fun :)
I'm most concerned with the third criterion and whether most emulator developers will actually include support for usb controllers and how long it will take for them to implement such a feature (Or if they would actually care at all?). The Blu+ support feature was added pretty quickly for a lot of apps for the GP32, but it still took quite a while for it to be implemented into emulators that weren't updated frequently (Like OS9XGP). Considering that, and considering that Blu+ support is more important and necessary than use of external controllers, I wonder how interested some of the emulator devs will be in this (Particularly the SNES devs; I think Squidge would implement it rather quickly, but I'm not sure if it was SquidgeSNES or another snes emulator that was currently the fastest; I think there was another emu by Reesy, and I think that he would have trouble finding time to implement such an unnecessary feature when he could be optimizing other stuff).

Simple solution, someone builds a good library, everyone just has to include it or install it at a firmware/OS level?

yaustar posted on May 20 2006 at 10:25 PM said:
Simple solution, someone builds a good library, everyone just has to include it or install it at a firmware/OS level?
I've got mouse support in my latest version of SDL, I'm almost there with putting joysticks back too, unfortunately my Linux setup has started locking up before it even boots but I'll have it ready ASAP.
It shouldn't be too much trouble to take the code and move it from SDL into it's own small library for non-SDL users.

Back