GP32 Using Allegro With The Official Sdk?

xzerix

Still Fresh
HI folks. Well, I've taken the plunge and the GP2X is ordered and on it's way. :p

I've downloaded the official SDK from GPH, which works ok, but now I want to try using Allegro with it, as I'm much more familiar with Allegro.

I've got Allegro 4.2.0 for MinGW, gfoot's allegrov0.3.zip, and the GPH arhive http://dev.gp2x.com/sdk/gp2xsdk_windows.zip, so now the obvious question is how do I put them all together? :blink:

And for those who've got it all working, how quick is allegro running on the GP2X?

Cheers,
-Pete.

XzeriX posted on Jul 8 2006 at 06:11 PM said:
HI folks. Well, I've taken the plunge and the GP2X is ordered and on it's way. :p

I've downloaded the official SDK from GPH, which works ok, but now I want to try using Allegro with it, as I'm much more familiar with Allegro.

I've got Allegro 4.2.0 for MinGW, gfoot's allegrov0.3.zip, and the GPH arhive http://dev.gp2x.com/sdk/gp2xsdk_windows.zip, so now the obvious question is how do I put them all together? :blink:

And for those who've got it all working, how quick is allegro running on the GP2X?

Cheers,
-Pete.
Can't help you, but I'm also keen to use Allegro and would like to know if there's any performance trade-off as opposed to using SDL?
If Allegro does/can work - and I think I'veen mention on the forums of HW acceleration being supported; does that mean many allegro games can be ported fairly easily?
Only other thing I've read is mention that Allegro will only support some of the gp2x's buttons - easily fixed though surely?

I'll probably be using linux/gcc for development as that's what I usually work with..
So here's hoping my workload slackens and I can get going on the gp2x!
Let's hope there's some (more knowledgeable) person on this forum that can help with your questions! :)

Kev

EDIT - this link of any use? http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/585915

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am interested in Allegro on the GP2X. Can't be arsed using SDL as I've written a nice Allegro framework already for doing various things (automating the loading of graphics, nicer control wrapper, etc).

Mmmm.. May put off messing around with Allegro for a while as saw this comment from gfoot -

"Actually, I just upgraded to firmware 2.0 and now I get the black screen too. I'm really busy
these days (haven't touched the gp2x since January) but I might try to fix it sometime."...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...&hl=Allegro

Doesn't sound too hopeful, as this was to do with using the blitter...
I know the parallax demo statically linked with Allegro doesn't work on my son's gp2x...

Anyone actually know the current state of play re Allegro & FW 2.0 ?
Best to leave it until the libs been fixed? Would guess I'm not able to figure it out myself(!).

Kev

kevcal posted on Jul 10 2006 at 06:19 AM said:
Mmmm.. May put off messing around with Allegro for a while as saw this comment from gfoot -

"Actually, I just upgraded to firmware 2.0 and now I get the black screen too. I'm really busy
these days (haven't touched the gp2x since January) but I might try to fix it sometime."...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...&hl=Allegro

Doesn't sound too hopeful, as this was to do with using the blitter...
I know the parallax demo statically linked with Allegro doesn't work on my son's gp2x...

Anyone actually know the current state of play re Allegro & FW 2.0 ?
Best to leave it until the libs been fixed? Would guess I'm not able to figure it out myself(!).

Kev

I know the state. It works. Everything I've compiled runs with an actual image. I don't use the official SDK, but with the Allegro libs there should be a config file. Look for the Allegro GP2X libs, that's how I found out I had to use the config file.

For those lazy and because I'm nice, here's the options I use for Dev-C++, Project Options > Parameters:

Compiler: -O2 -Wall -Werror -g `gp2x-allegro-config --cflags debug`
C++ Compiler: (nothing)
Linker: ../devkitGP2X/lib/liballeg.a -static

yaustar posted on Jul 11 2006 at 08:49 PM said:
This is a GP32 dev help board :p

To paraphrase homer simpson: "It's my first post". ;)

And - of course - "D'oh!" B)

Sorry to start this thread on the wrong forum...

Thanks to everyone for their replies and help: Hopefully my GP2X will arrive soon, and I'll be able to get a dev environment sussed out. Coding in C is the easy bit; setting up the dev enviroment, that's hard... B)

XzeriX posted on Jul 11 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
Coding in C is the easy bit; setting up the dev enviroment, that's hard... B)

Amen!

Couldn't someone just make a pre-setup version of Dev-C++. I already have Dev_C++ setup to use Allegor. But now im confused since I will have two Allegros set up now. Please. :p

K0K0NUT_h3lmut posted on Jul 25 2006 at 04:08 PM said:
Couldn't someone just make a pre-setup version of Dev-C++. I already have Dev_C++ setup to use Allegor. But now im confused since I will have two Allegros set up now. Please. :p

Yep, I second that. Gamepark? How about making Allegro part of the official DevKit?

From a perfectly selfish point of view I know Allegro and not SDL, but I'm sure there are a lot of other people in the same boat. Could it hurt to support both in the DevKit?

Failing that I guess I'll develop my stuff in Allegro for the PC and see iuf I get any volunteers to "port" it for me... ;)

XzeriX posted on Aug 2 2006 at 03:30 AM said:

Yep, I second that. Gamepark? How about making Allegro part of the official DevKit?

From a perfectly selfish point of view I know Allegro and not SDL, but I'm sure there are a lot of other people in the same boat. Could it hurt to support both in the DevKit?

Failing that I guess I'll develop my stuff in Allegro for the PC and see iuf I get any volunteers to "port" it for me... ;)
Yeah, I suppose I'll have to follow your method too. But if someone would be helpful enough to make it easy for the real n00bs of us that can somehow barely code, that would be great

XzeriX posted on Aug 2 2006 at 03:30 AM said:

I suggest learning SDL for input. If there's one thing I STILL haven't found it's how Allegro uses the GP2X's controls, either a joystick, or keyboard, or what. Everything I've tried hasn't worked :p

Back