Use the pandora as wifi hotspot?

Orz

Still Fresh
Is it possible to set up the pandora as wifi hotspot? I know that the pandora's antenna is very weak, but all I am trying to do is to rip some games from my DS. This requires a WEP wifi connection, so I can't use my normal wifi connection. I tried creating a WEP hotspot on my laptop, but windows only knows how to make a WPA2 hotspot.

Pretty sure it's easier to find some program for windows which makes it support WEP (again, I guess. They probably removed it on purpose, for security reasons).

I think the Pandora's WiFi chip supports AP mode in theory, but I'm not sure there's any driver to make it work like that.

Not sure if the Pandora's WiFi is capable of it. I would probably set up an SD card to boot from (either Pandian or Slackware). You'll need to install hostapd and probably isc-dhcp-server (that's why I would boot from SD).

This may already be all you need though ... you then have to create a proper hostapd.conf and edit /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf. This is how I set up a BeagleBone running Debian, you'll probably find tons of information (and probably also slighty different ways to set it up) if you google for guides setting up a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone. Also check the Debian and Ubuntu Wiki, they both have useful information on how to do it.

EDIT: thinking about it a bit more - since you probably just need something to connect your DS to and then do nothing - you probably don't have to edit /etc/networ/interfaces, just get hostapd and isc-dhcp-server, create a basic hostapd.conf, edit /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf and then manually start hostapd.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you need is hostapd software and (as explained) a dhcp server both should be available in pandian slackware or arch.

My advice is to look for a how-to for hostapd in debian and apply it in pandian. Its quite easy even I have done it in desktop computers.

Edit: nevermind. Just noticed that this was suggested in the previous post

Last edited by a moderator:
Back