USB wifi - how to?

crow_riot

well linux noob asking for help ;-)

i've got an usb wifi adapter (the one that works for the caanoo) and it's said that it's Ralink RT2870/3070 ...

how do i get wifi over that dongle? are the drivers in the firmware?

What happens when you plug it in? I had somewhat less fun with Ralink than I did with Realtek, but the drivers should be there.

Just ensure the Pandora's native WiFi is turned thoroughly off, it confuses things otherwise.

General steps for debugging:

Code:
sudo lsusb
and look for your WiFi dongle to see if it's detected at all. Try ldusb -v for model information and whatnot.

Code:
dmesg
and look for references to WiFi

ok thanks! will try it out when i come home ....

so you say it should just work 'out of the box' when i turn of pandora wifi?

Yup. Plug it in and network manager should just fire up and prompt you for a keychain password, just like it does when you toggle the Pandora's built-in WiFi on.

If it doesn't, use the debugging steps above.

If all else fails there are plenty of cheap WiFi dongles out there which definitely do work.

The Pandora supports most Realtek chip Wireless N dongles. I don't think the Ralink drivers are built in.

In the thread DaMummy posted above the less expensive ($5.94) Micro WiFi Dongle I mentioned in the PS is a Ralink 5370 chip and it does not work with the Pandora out-of the box. There was someone (Gadgetiod I think) working on building the Ralink drivers for Pandora.

http://boards.openpa...post__p__125807

Last edited by a moderator:
ok just tried and it's indeed a ralink gets detected. but no joy, as the driver is missing. guess i'll go the hf7 route then. thx for you help!

How does the 4G wifi usb connections work? im curious because i would like to buy one and see if it connects my pandora (if i get one very soon :) ) is it wifi hotspot relevant like in my neighborhood area or like a regular 3G/4G connection like in those Android tablet phones? Thanks!

ok just tried and it's indeed a ralink gets detected. but no joy, as the driver is missing. guess i'll go the hf7 route then. thx for you help!

Let me know how it goes, the drivers I compiled up require HF7 (it's really, really hard to get an earlier snapshot of the kernel source), you may have more luck with them than I did... but I'm pretty sure they're included in the OS now.

i've now bought a micro netgear dongle that contains the realtek chipset, was less hassle to get it working and works like a charm. i "just" needed to replace the driver module that is available from the openhandheld's download section.

Back