Usb Transfer Rate Speed

lnx64

I really hate having to take the card out of the Caanoo, cause it requires removing the cover, which I feel may break if I do it too many times, so I just use the USB 2.0 connection from the Caannoo to the PC, but noticed that my max transfer speed is only 1MBps. That seems awefully slow for it to be USB 2.0, and I'm using a Class 6, 8GB SD card from Sandisk, that can go SO much faster.

I coulda sworn that the Wiz was faster as a reader too.

Are you sure that you have your Caanoo connected to a USB 2.0 port? USB hubs, for example, may not have 2.0 ports, or may have 2.0 ports when connected to a power source other than the computer (computer only delivers 5 volts to the USB ports).

It's directly into a Mac Pro's USB port, I'm sure it's a USB 2.0 port. ;)

PS: I know a bit about USB. I'm actually in the IT field.

There is a small discussion here about write speed on Caanoo. You might need to mount the SD card differently. Read through it, and decide if this is what you want.

And please let us know how it goes. I have only tried it myself while downloading to the Caanoo, and it is much faster, although there are occasional hiccups. I haven't tried copying through USB yet.

/Uni

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a limitation of the hardware and software stack, does not matter how fast the card is or how fast the connection between the cannoo and the computer is. The way Linux handles the SD card limits somehow limits the transfer rate, I don't know how but I read that somewhere for the Wiz a while back. There appears to be no easy way around it at this time.

I also have this, its a real pain when you want to put an iso or other large files on

I think you might be on to something. I tried using O_DIRECT to write files (which uses DMA afaik), so it should free up the CPU, but it had no effect on write speed (that i could notice).

See the difference is huge.. I write to the Caanoo via USB at 1MB/s. But if I stick the SD card directly into my laptop, I get nearly 14MB/s. That's a massive jump.

Thing is, if this was the Wiz, I wouldn't care, but it's the Caanoo with it's covered SD slot, which makes it a pain.

Back