USB to VGA

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I always though svideo max res is 720x480. I don't think you'll be getting 800 out of it.
Than what is the resolution that it spits out? I mean as long as it has 640 x 480 lines of resolution than it might be fine.

S-video is continuous analog signal. It can technically spit out as many dots per line as it wants. An "infinite" number, if you wanted. The number of rows is fixed (be it 486 or 576, give or take overscan), but your the limiting factors are how "sharp" the image being produced is, and how many dots per line your TV actually has.

But yeah, pretty sure it's smooshing the 800x480 to a 720x480 canvas before being dumped to the TV.

S-video is continuous analog signal. It can technically spit out as many dots per line as it wants. An "infinite" number, if you wanted. The number of rows is fixed (be it 486 or 576, give or take overscan), but your the limiting factors are how "sharp" the image being produced is, and how many dots per line your TV actually has.

But yeah, pretty sure it's smooshing the 800x480 to a 720x480 canvas before being dumped to the TV.
Is this why devs are not wanting the last 80 lines in emulators to reach the top and bottom of the Pandora's screen? If they get squished it would not matter if games were rendered @ 720x480 on the Pandora so they do not reach the top and bottom all the way. This would mean the S-Video output would be just fine on all regular TVs since the squished signal would not matter for say SNES games as the squished part would be black screen anyway, or am I way off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this why devs are not wanting the last 80 lines in emulators to reach the top and bottom of the Pandora's screen?
No, the emulators are generally not filling the last bit of the screen on top and bottom because the window they fill makes for pixel perfect rendering. To stretch that last 36 pixels would require a filter to either interpolate (causes "blurriness") or that other technique that I've forgotten the name of that doubles up certain lines which causes an obvious rippling effect as you move.

480 (total height of screen)-448 (doubled height of most SNES games) = 36. Or maybe you meant on the sides? There's 288 pixels unclaimed (144 on either side) in 2x2 mode in the SNES emulator, but only 32 pixels when stretched to 3x2.

480 (total height of screen)-448 (doubled height of most SNES games) = 36. Or maybe you meant on the sides? There's 288 pixels unclaimed (144 on either side) in 2x2 mode in the SNES emulator, but only 32 pixels when stretched to 3x2.
Than what happens during TV Out? Is it fulls screen or are there unused space?

Should look the same as on the Pandora. That's what the TV out videos we've seen so far have shown, no?
I just watched the TV Out video Evil Dragon made and Super Mario 64 runs exactly the same and looks like it has black space on the top and bottom dats not good :(

I confirm that my usb-vga dongle works. It's a bit slow - for example when you move windows around on the screen. Pandora battery life decreases from 10h to 4h. And I didn't have time to setup xinerama properly - but I'm sure I'll do it when I'll need this for anything more than just testing - think: going to conference.

Back