Usb Peripherals

ductsoup

Still Fresh
Is it possible to plug a usb peripheral into the gp2x and recieve/send data from/to it?

Great, I would as how but that'd be a long answer I suppose :), but ty for the reply I'll haveto do some research.

Great, I would as how but that'd be a long answer I suppose :), but ty for the reply I'll haveto do some research.

Get a USB adapter for your GP2X. Most require assembly, but still.

In order to use USB devices, you need a program to interface with it. For USB Harddrives, this program is mount. However, you need a kernel build with all of the filesystems you need and drivers you need installed. Besides that, you can use WiFi with your GP2x plugged in, unless you can find a low power one.

Theres still a lot of research needed. As far as using USB hard-drives, just learn how to use mount. STerm can be a terminal for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I was going to interface with my cars ECU, there's a cable available for it. I was just going to listen to it's out data and display it on my GP2X. There is a program available for PC but it's not an open source project -_-

EDIT: I just realised the USB port in the GP2X is a mini one (obviously) is it possible to buy a cable to convert regular peripheral usb cables to mini ones, or will I haveto make one?

You can't connect usb peripherals to the gp2x's mini usb port. That's a slave only socket (ie, for connecting to a pc).

To connect usb peripherals to the GP2X, you have to use the bottom connector.

As for your car's ECU, then you normally don't need USB. If it's an old car it'll probably be on KW2000 or similar protocol (unless it's a Peugeot of about 5 years or less, than it'll probably be VAN-bus). Newer cars are mostly CAN-bus. You can connect directly to the diagnostic socket which is usually in the middle console, under the steering wheel or to the right of the steering wheel.

What sort of data are you looking for from the car?

Ah Thanks Squidge :)

Mostly I was just wanting to read sensor data, speed, RPM etc etc, it's a 1996 (UK P reg) Nissan. A cable exists for the pc and so does a program but together it's about £70. I thaught writing my own would be a good project and cheaper lol.

Since I haveto use the Extention port in the bottom where can I get a plug for it?

As for the protocall, the site that sells the cables and program says this "You can also communicate with your ECU using a standard hex mode terminal emulator and the RS232 or USB interface cable. The settings for the serial port are: 9600baud, 8bit, No parity, 1 stop bit, software handshaking. Have a search on the net for what to say to your ECU, there are plenty of notes available on how to do this." (http://www.blazt.biz/information/FAQs.php)

The sounds like a strange protocol for automotive electronics, are you sure the interface cable isn't doing the smart stuff for you? I'd expect it be a more standard baudrate such as 10400 with a 5 baud initialisation. If your happy buying the cable however then it's no problem - have a look at art's website for the gp2x side of things, he used to do pretty much anything that plugged into the ext port -> http://www.artaylor.co.uk/

I was going to get the breakout board since the cable for the car supports the RS232 the guy sells. I'm preddy sure the cable does nothing exept transmit the data :/. The biggest problem will be finding out what to send to it and decoding the answers. Thanks again Squidge :).

Back