Usb Issues

Eisner said:
I read on various Linux forums that others, who had simular issues with their USB ports shared the same "hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device" error. They found that there was problems with the ehci_hcd module.

Some suggested ways to dissable the module but I belive that hci_hcd is a part of the Kernel and is not separate module.

Not knowing much about what I am talking about, I could be totally off base :blink: ....

David...

The error msgs <3>[ 6543.685272] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2 and
from dmesg [ 1431.291503] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
seem to be the only lines relevent, I don't know what the leading #s mean

Try unplugging, pause, replug. Then dmesg |tail

This may hang your non-working usb port. Ha
If you expect to continue to have Pandora you might invest in a miniA -> AF(emale) cable,
and use the OTG port too. About $8 US. A miniB end (by far more common) turns the Pandora into
a fancy card reader, this is probably not what you want

I don't know if the 2 ports share a common controller
or if there are 2, 1 for each port

dave

Last edited by a moderator:
"Unable to enumerate USB device" is the error the Pandora spits out usually when you plug in a USB1.1 device. Did you have something plugged into the USB host when you turned it on?
When it gets this error, there's no recovery: it crashes the USB host and the only way to recover is with a reset.

It seems my pandora also has some problem with USB, but only with the small OTG Usb1.1 port:

# SD storage mode: I run the script and set my 32GB FAT SDcard (slot 1) into mass storage mode. Than I connect a mini-USB cable that I normally use to charge the Pandora (works fine!) with my WinXP desktop computer. WinXP complains, that there are no drivers and the connected device is not working. I don't have access to the SD card through the WinXP browser, of course.

lsusb before connecting to the desktop computer:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lsusb afterconnecting to the desktop computer:
Code:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

dmesg |tail after connection to the desktop computer:
Code:
tusters_kasten:~$ dmesg |tail
[  217.800842] musb_hdrc musb_hdrc: MUSB HDRC host driver
[  217.806243] musb_hdrc musb_hdrc: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
[  217.814025] usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[  217.819824] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
[  217.823638] hub 2-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[  218.198577] usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[  218.205474] usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[  218.212829] usb usb2: Product: MUSB HDRC host driver
[  218.217803] usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.27.46-omap1 musb-hcd
[  218.224060] usb usb2: SerialNumber: musb_hdrc

# Using USB1.1 devices on the small OTG port:
I have an adapter with a male mini-USB type A on one side and a femal USB type A on the other side. I tried connecting a 1.1 USB mouse and two different USB1.1 keyboards to it (they produce the 'cannot enumerate device' error when plugged into the big USB port without any usb hub), all without success. The devices are not powered and can't be used.

dmesg output:
Code:
usters_kasten:~$ dmesg |tail
[ 2010.188934] wl1251: rare event: 00100000
[ 2010.286621] wl1251: rare event: 00100000
[ 2010.382293] wl1251: rare event: 00100000
[ 2245.376037] usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using musb_hdrc and address 2
[ 2245.542053] usb 2-1: device v046a p0011 is not supported
[ 2245.547943] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 2245.622070] input: HID 046a:0011 as /devices/platform/musb_hdrc/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/input/input8
[ 2245.705535] input: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [HID 046a:0011] on usb-musb_hdrc-1
[ 2245.713439] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=046a, idProduct=0011
[ 2245.720275] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0

EDIT: I don|t know why, but this time, the external keyboard actually worked. Typing with it right now.. yay

lsusb output:
Code:
tusters_kasten:~$ sudo lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046a:0011 Cherry GmbH G83 (RS 6000) Keyboard

EDITEDIT: After reboot, keyboard didn't work anymore. LSUSB also gives me back just one USB device:

Code:

After running the SD-Stage script again, both USB devices show up with LSUSB and the OTG works again!

My conclusion: The SD-Storage script somehow triggers the USB drivers that are needed to use USB1.1 devices on the small OTG port. The Mass strage mode does not work though, it is just needed to activate the mini-usb port.

• Can anybody tell me what's wrong with the mini-AB-USB port/ the software?
  • How can this be fixed?
  • Do you have the same problems with the small USB port?

Thx for reading all this!

Note: connecting, disconnecting, reconnecting as suggested by Notaz et al here does not do anything. It's running the mass storage script that does the trick...

It's most likely because of g_cdc (USB ethernet) module being loaded on startup. Disable usb network service in startup manager.

notaz said:
It's most likely because of g_cdc (USB ethernet) module being loaded on startup. Disable usb network service in startup manager.

Thx for your help Notaz!
But in 'Service Manager' the option 'Start USB Network on bootup' is unchecked already. Now what?

notaz said:
Type 'lsmod' in the terminal, maybe something else loads some g_* module.

no, there isn't any g_* module loaded.

If I run the SD-mass-storage script, g_file__storge appears. When I close the mass-storage window, a g_cdc module appears in lsmod output, instead of g_file_storage.

Is g_cdc somehow necessary for a working mini-AB port?

EDIT:
yes, it seems so: enabling the usb-network on startup in the startup manager makes the mini-USB port work with my keyboard right from the start (with g_cdc beeing loaded on startup)!
SD-mass-storage still doesn't work: winXP keeps on reporting that there is an unknown device connected (in SD storage mode as well in 'normal' mode) Any hints?

WizardStan said:
"Unable to enumerate USB device" is the error the Pandora spits out usually when you plug in a USB1.1 device. Did you have something plugged into the USB host when you turned it on?
When it gets this error, there's no recovery: it crashes the USB host and the only way to recover is with a reset.

Yes, I did have something plugged in on boot up but that aside, I thought that my USB sticks were not USB1.1..
So by reset do you mean reboot or reseting the whole pandora and reloading the OS ?

David

Eisner said:
WizardStan said:

Yes, I did have something plugged in on boot up but that aside, I thought that my USB sticks were not USB1.1..
So by reset do you mean reboot or reseting the whole pandora and reloading the OS ?

David

just reboot ;)

zapman said:
just reboot ;)
Exactly. :)
Resetting the whole OS would be referred to as reflashing.
It's possible your devices are USB2.0 and still get the error. The error is actually for low and full speed devices: our port is not only USB2.0, but also High Speed only. Now, I've never heard of a USB2.0 device that wasn't high speed, but in theory it's possible. It's more likely that the device just says "USB2.0" assuming that it'll be compatible, which it will be on PCs.
What is this device anyway?

WizardStan said:
zapman said:
just reboot ;)
Exactly. :)
Resetting the whole OS would be referred to as reflashing.
It's possible your devices are USB2.0 and still get the error. The error is actually for low and full speed devices: our port is not only USB2.0, but also High Speed only. Now, I've never heard of a USB2.0 device that wasn't high speed, but in theory it's possible. It's more likely that the device just says "USB2.0" assuming that it'll be compatible, which it will be on PCs.
What is this device anyway?

I am trying to use just a Lexar Firefly
Worked on my old Pandora which had Hotfix 2 on it.
I got my new Pandora back from nub repairs and my firefly drives would not work...
Nothing I have tried so far has worked in the usb port.

David...

Actually, I have Kingstone DataTraveler 410 which (I think) worked in my Pandora already. Now (yesterday) I can't manage to wokr it. I put film on my flash stick at work and at home I try plug nad unplug it several times without success. I do reboot and even shutdown and remove battery for a while and still nothing. Then I reboot _with_ usb stick plugged and then it work as it should. So I have suspicion that something about connecting USB devices must be changed.

Eisner said:
I am trying to use just a Lexar Firefly
Worked on my old Pandora which had Hotfix 2 on it.
Ok, yes, that should definitely be compatible. I don't understand why it is causing problems, other than possibly more hardware faults. From the dmesg, it is able to do something with it, and then it dies. There may be an explanation, but it is outside my expertise. Might want to ask OPT what to do next: another replacement might be the only option.
And I think maybe they should add "plug in a USB device and make sure it registers" to their list of QA processes.

I guess that I try to do some dmesg and lsusb output after reboot, insert flash and reboot with USB flash, but it works OK for now. I'll try to test later, if I spot this problem again.

After some further help and investigation, I found that my Pandora's USB port is not functioning. So it definitely was a hardware problem and thus, I have returned my Pandora once again.. Good bye old friend.. Hope to see you soon.

David...

Back