Usb Issues

Pinballwzd

Hello,

Well.. I received my replacement Pandora and the Nubs issue has been resolved.. All seemed great and just in time for my camping vacation.

After getting there, some new problems came to the surface.

I noticed that the battery sure drains quickly.. I had the WiFi turned off and with in a hour of playing some emulators, it dropped down to 85 from 100. Not sure if this is to be expected ? I turned off my pandora via the Xfce "Log Out" and the next morning it had lost 10% more and was down to 70%. Very strange.. I have 3 batteries and they all seem to drain quite a bit over light even after shutting off correctly.
I do know there are power management issues so I will wait and see if more firmware updates help this.

My WiFi just sucked.. There was WiFi where I was camping and even with full bars, it would not logon.. My IPOD Touch however had no issues connecting to there WiFi.
But I know there are WiFi issues so I will wait and see if more firmware updates help this.

Then there was the issues with my USB.. It just plain is not working. I have some 8G Lexaar Micro USB sticks that I used before sending my Pandora off and they worked perfectly.. The drive poped up on my Desktop and I could access all files without issues. On my new Pandora, I am getting nothing on any stick that I plug in.

I have just updated to the newest beta FW 4 thinking that this might fix my USB issue but alas, the same thing is going on.

I will pass on the first 2 issues for now but does anyone have any suggestions concerning my USB problems ?
I know that power is working from the USB connection but it does not seem to be reading anything that I plug in.

Thanks so much,

David...

Have you tried running dmesg and sudo lsusb? The output of those commands might make it easier for others to help you find out why your USB won't work.

You could run them like this after plugging in the USB stick (in a terminal) and post the contents of the dmesg.out and lsusb.out files generated in your home directory here:
Code:
dmesg > ~/dmesg.out
sudo lsusb > ~/lsusb.out
edit: also, for wifi, running "sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off" seems to help a bit for me.

Jdbye said:
Have you tried running dmesg and sudo lsusb? The output of those commands might make it easier for others to help you find out why your USB won't work.

You could run them like this after plugging in the USB stick (in a terminal) and post the contents of the dmesg.out and lsusb.out files generated in your home directory here:
Code:
dmesg > ~/dmesg.out
sudo lsusb > ~/lsusb.out
edit: also, for wifi, running "sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off" seems to help a bit for me.

Thank you.. I am totally new to the terminal so that does help.. Here is the information that was in the 2 files.

DMESG
LSUSB

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Not that I'm exactly a linux pro, but it doesn't seem like the stick is coming up in software at all. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge could confirm this?

Edit: You could also try something like
Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
In the terminal, plugging the device in, then copying/pasting the output over here.

Regarding your battery drain problem, there is a battery mini-FAQ in the Tweaks Thread on how to test the battery :)

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
^ Not that I'm exactly a linux pro, but it doesn't seem like the stick is coming up in software at all. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge could confirm this?

Code:
In the terminal, plugging the device in, then copying/pasting the output over here.

I tried this and I get.. "No such file or directory"

b1ueskycomp1ex said:

Code:

Eisner said:
I know. No /var/log/messages in the pandora (I guess the system logger isnt configured to write that, or its not running at all, dunno...) .
You can however do "sudo cat /proc/kmsg", thats going to the very source of the messages...

urjaman said:
Eisner said:
I know. No /var/log/messages in the pandora (I guess the system logger isnt configured to write that, or its not running at all, dunno...) .
You can however do "sudo cat /proc/kmsg", thats going to the very source of the messages...

I got a system message that was odd.. Either a joke or something I do not get.. Regardless...

3 statements...

#1)
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility...

Then asked for a password...

I missed the first part but could not reproduce the statment twice when trying to type the sudo cat/proc/kmsg.
I only get command not found...

David...

urjaman said:
Eisner said:

Ah, that's right. It's probably not set to write /var/log/messages to avoid wearing out the NAND. Unfortunately I was taking a shot in the dark here as I don't own a pandora. Hopefully someone else can help out with this.

Eisner, That's a standard message the terminal gives you when you're about to do something with super user (su) rights. It basically means, you're now in a position to screw things up, so be careful. It won't give you the same message again during that terminal session.

Regarding the 'command not found' message, are you putting a space after cat? Because you didn't above. :)

Gruso said:
Eisner, That's a standard message the terminal gives you when you're about to do something with super user (su) rights. It basically means, you're now in a position to screw things up, so be careful. It won't give you the same message again during that terminal session.

Regarding the 'command not found' message, are you putting a space after cat? Because you didn't above. :)

Ok, here is the output file containing the information that it printed out...

Text Output

Thanks,

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be seeing your USB device at all. Something could be physically wrong with your pandora.

Try other USB devices, even a USB1.1 mouse. If you plug in a USB1.1 device, dmesg will say something like "cannot enumerate device" and then the USB host unfortunately crashes; you'll need to do a full shut down/reset in order to bring it back up. To rule out any other problems, try doing a complete shut down and restart first, and then start plugging in USB stuff.
If you don't get that "cannot enumerate device" error, then I'm out of tests and would also say you have a physical USB problem. Unless someone else has something that might shed some light on the problem?

WizardStan said:
Try other USB devices, even a USB1.1 mouse. If you plug in a USB1.1 device, dmesg will say something like "cannot enumerate device" and then the USB host unfortunately crashes; you'll need to do a full shut down/reset in order to bring it back up. To rule out any other problems, try doing a complete shut down and restart first, and then start plugging in USB stuff.
If you don't get that "cannot enumerate device" error, then I'm out of tests and would also say you have a physical USB problem. Unless someone else has something that might shed some light on the problem?

I plugged in an old mouse I had.. Must be USB 1.1. Also, Nothing happened.. I have copied the dmesg for you or someone to look at.
I sure hope that my USB is not broken.. I would really hate to have to return my Pandora for the 2nd time.

When I rebooted with the mouse plugged in, after the loading bar screen, the whole display when a light color and then there were cross hairs in the middle of the display. A mouse picture then appeared in the center of the screen for a brief moment but the mouse still did not work.

David...

DMESG

David...

Alerino said:
try plugging it to a linux desktop pc and outputg dmesg, sudo lsusb and mount again please
sometimes USB can be tricky, yesterday i had an ntfs formatted hard drive recognized as FAT, had to reformat, now it works ok

Sorry but I do not have access to a linux desktop PC. If there is any more info that I can provide via my Pandora, I would be happy to supply.

David...

Eisner said:
Alerino said:
try plugging it to a linux desktop pc and outputg dmesg, sudo lsusb and mount again please
sometimes USB can be tricky, yesterday i had an ntfs formatted hard drive recognized as FAT, had to reformat, now it works ok

Sorry but I do not have access to a linux desktop PC. If there is any more info that I can provide via my Pandora, I would be happy to supply.

David...

Have you ever heard of a 'live cd'?
I recommend livecdlist.com .. slax or puppy or Salix or ...
Many of these can set up a persistant save on a usb stick (or boot from usb if you wish)

dave

No I have not but thank you for the information...

I will patiently wait to see if anyone from the Pandora Technical Support Department ( is there such a thing? ) can have a look at the DMESG I posted.
At this point, I do not know if it is software or hardware related.

David...

I read on various Linux forums that others, who had simular issues with their USB ports shared the same "hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device" error. They found that there was problems with the ehci_hcd module.

Some suggested ways to dissable the module but I belive that hci_hcd is a part of the Kernel and is not separate module.

Not knowing much about what I am talking about, I could be totally off base :blink: ....

David...

Back