Usb Draining Battery Despite Charger?

Chaser

I hooked a bunch of stuff up via hub the other night, whilst the unit was on the mains on a full battery to see what was recognised. Left it like that overnight by accident and in the morning she was rebooting and then no more. The battery was totally flat. After disconnecting the usb hub, some 10 minutes later the charge light came on and its been fine since.

This is probably normal but is the charger supposed to allow her to be hooked up like a computer to various peripherals in a desktop fashion? As the USB appears to be draining it faster than the mains are supplying juice, which seems to rule that out.

Dunno about the pandora, but i know i can drain my phone while charging on mains if i have a 3g to wifi connection (wmwifirouter) and bluetooth turned on for something, while some applications are running. (no this is not a daily scenario, but i like messing with my electronics, as most here i guess ; )

Cheers for your input guys. Cant seem to replicate the full power down, only a kinda stalemate of very SLOW charging or with the unit in stand by a slightly slower charge rate.

Meh! I guess my cats sneaked a go or two over night and didn't plug her back in properly ;)

I think there may be an oversight/bug where after it fully charges it just stops charging by usb. This has happened to me before as well.

I think this would be normal, if the USB devices are using more power then can be supplied by the charger the battery would start to be drained (So long as it is within USB 2.0 spec.) If you had something using a lot of current like a hard drive I could definitely see this happening.

I would certainly invest in a self-powered usb hub if you were going to run in this configuration all the time. You're putting an awful strain on everything.

It was only a test of a few things Mindlord and I left it accidentally for a film and woke to find it dying. I think a HDD was attached at the time so perhaps understandable. As I said though I cant replicate it, despite HDD's attached, so I guess my pets knocked the cable. I will use a powered hub for such in future, though the one I have is a nice portable self powered one I'm going to marry to a small 30gb HDD for on the go, if it proves compatible. Cheers for your thoughts and consider it closed.

Back