Usb Chargers.

ashadocat

I'm making a solar usb charger and I was wondering what's a safe voltage/amperage to have it output.

USB is 5V + or - 0.25V. A USB host may provide upto 500mA per port but I'm not sure how that applies to a charger.

I wouldn't restrict your charger to 500mA though. Go for an amp if your solar panels are big enough (or whatever you can get from them if not).

Holokauston said:
Hiroe said:
I'm making a solar usb charger and I was wondering what's a safe voltage/amperage to have it output.
A really smart idea might look in to that myself, the ultimate portable :)

Like all the best ideas (other than the Pandora, of course!) , it's been done before. This one is a tad expensive because it charges most mobiles too. You can get them for around £25 if you only want the usb charging capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
All you need to do is hook the solar panels from some garden lanterns together and attach a usb connector.
I'm going to use the as epaulets on my trench coat.

I'm not sure you understand, epaulets don't always look like giant rag ball things. what i'm saying is i'm going to put a slot on the back so they can be put on my shoulders.

I intend to attach such a thingy to a sturdy and somewhat stiff backpack that I'll buy asap.

Hiroe said:
I'm not sure you understand, epaulets don't always look like giant rag ball things. what i'm saying is i'm going to put a slot on the back so they can be put on my shoulders.
Just like Army ones?

I don't know much about this, but won't the variance in charge from the solar panels adversely affect the life and capacity of the battery? Assuming, of course, that it's not going to be in an optimal charging situation through the duration of the charge.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I believe that you can trickle charge any modern batteries without any adverse affects. can anyone confirm this?

sindbad said:
I intend to attach such a thingy to a sturdy and somewhat stiff backpack that I'll buy asap.
You can get solar backpacks from a few places i think. heres one!

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
sindbad said:
You can get solar backpacks from a few places i think. heres one!

Thanks, I'll look that up.

Back