Usb Cable Mod

Anonymous D

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I recently saw a psp hack which involved connecting a memory stick duo to a memory card reader with part of an IDE cable. My idea is that, if you could change the end of a usb cable so that it went mini usb (on the 2x side) to female usb you could make a usb port cable for the 2x. Would this be possible? And if so what kinda script would I need to use to mount it?

You can't use the mini usb as a host. You have to make a cable that connects to the correct pins on the EXT port and provides 5V somehow (you can only get 3.3V from the EXT port).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a MK2, but in any case, I was looking to make just a cable rather than having to open up the 2x. Cause I'd rather not get the breakout board as I only want the usb ports. I found a cable for sale on Art Taylor (lost the link though) but it was about 30 quid same as the breakout board.

Anonymous D posted on Aug 1 2006 at 09:49 AM said:
I have a MK2, but in any case, I was looking to make just a cable rather than having to open up the 2x. Cause I'd rather not get the breakout board as I only want the usb ports. I found a cable for sale on Art Taylor (lost the link though) but it was about 30 quid same as the breakout board.
The official BoB REQUIRES an official PSU Besides whatever will be powering the GP2X, tack that on to the tab buddy.

What was all that business about hacking the side mini-USB into a host then? You couldn't do that from the outside.

So far no-one has made instructions for the USB cable, I would do it but I would have to borrow a digital camera and write the whole thing up. I personally made an EXT to USB cable, but it isn't recommended for anyone who can't do it on the info already in the wiki (see my sig for links).

Edit: See my e810 serial mod (in the wiki) to get an idea of the complexity of the EXT port wiring, it isn't much more difficult to do the USB cable, it is only 3 wires (ground, USB+ and USB-), and then the simple termination circuit in the wiki. And then a power source of 5 volts.

Besides that you need to find the Samsung e810 Serial (NOT USB) to cellphone data cable, and that is proving too difficult for many to do, not that it isn't easy to find (takes me 10 seconds on ebay) but people don't know HOW to do it.

I hope someone will start selling the EXT to USB cables soon, for a price under $20 (or 10£), they are so simple in design really.

sorry to steal the topic but... if i had an externaly powered hardrive couldnt i plug it into the usb port already on the GP2X?

lol2232 posted on Aug 2 2006 at 06:49 AM said:
sorry to steal the topic but... if i had an externaly powered hardrive couldnt i plug it into the usb port already on the GP2X?
If you're talking about the mini USB on the side, then no.
That's a client port, not a host port.

if your hard drive is +5v powered and allows that +5v to escape into USB cable, then you can do it
I never had something like this, but it's very likely that this power supply only supply the +12v for the hard drive, and takes +5v from USB signal

to be sure, just turn your usb device on and check with a voltimeter/multimeter if there's +5v between 2 foremost (is that term right?) pins *be careful not to short any pin*

you may try it first on your computer's usb, to make sure you've got the right pins
without opening the gp2x I think the only mobile way of having a USB host is to use a +9v battery-powered usb hub

Lint posted on Aug 2 2006 at 07:02 AM said:
if your hard drive is +5v powered and allows that +5v to escape into USB cable, then you can do it
I never had something like this, but it's very likely that this power supply only supply the +12v for the hard drive, and takes +5v from USB signal

to be sure, just turn your usb device on and check with a voltimeter/multimeter if there's +5v between 2 foremost (is that term right?) pins *be careful not to short any pin*

you may try it first on your computer's usb, to make sure you've got the right pins
without opening the gp2x I think the only mobile way of having a USB host is to use a +9v battery-powered usb hub
Umm, 2.5" hard drives (the only size I know of that battery-powered external drives come in) use 5 volts to spin the disk, not 12 volts.

Just so you know, the 3.5" HDDs use 12 volts to spin the drive, but also use 5 volts for the IDE circuitry.

It is a possible source of the +5 volts, but it is simpler to do that without opening the external HDD.

I use my 60gig JOBO Datatank, USB self-powered hard disk, with my GP2X's all the time .. both with my kinder-eier cable, and the official BoB.. if I plug the BoB into the 'new generation B' GP2X, i don't need a power cable for the BoB .. but if I use my kinder-eier cable on the older GP2X, it has to go straight to a hub ..

Back