Upce - Pcengine Emulator For Dingux

trooper

Trooper`s watching you !!!
Website
Visit site
upcelogo2.jpg

Uguru over at developia.info has released a preview
of his very promising looking PcEngine emulator for Dingux.

Here is a copy of the readme text.

------
uPCE
-------

-------------------------
Intro
uPCE is an PcEngine/TurboGrafx-16 emulator. The TurboGrafx-16 has an 8-bit CPU and
a dual 16-bit GPU; furthermore, it is capable of displaying 482 colors at once out of
512. Ported and bassed on Hu-go and Bero xPce.

Info
* Still a wip version.
* Doc is also beeing writted.
* Source still dirty and uncommented, after clean, will be on svn.

Features
* Games supported con pce, zip, and iso format.
* Save & Load States with screenshot.
* Gamepad map configurable.
* Cheat support.
* Sound support.

Controls
-Arrows: basic movement, up, down, left, right.
-B/A: Action buttons.
-Y/X: Start and Select.
-Select: open menu.

Version History
0.1 NineDay Preview
- Initial public version.

Installation
* Unpack compressed file, and copy to SD card.
* Copy games to "roms" folder.
* Put syscard.pce also in "roms" folder. We used syscard3.pce.
* Add an entry to dmenu.

Add dmenu.cfg sample:

MenuItem uPCE
{
Icon = "res/upce.png"
Name = " uPCE"
Executable = "./uPCE.dingoo"
WorkDir = "/usr/local/emus/uPCE"
}

Updated bin to 0.2, solving a bug, whe loading iso games, emulator didnot find syscard.pce.

Source: developia.info

Download: uPCE 9Day Preview

Trooper

Ah, I remember this guy, I sent him Temper's source once (since he asked for it). It sounds like this is working better than DOOEngine and it has a pretty menu. He says source will be up on Google code soon so I guess I'll wait a while before I start complaining again ;p

I guess I can now stop working on the GP2XEngine port :D

A600 said:

Why? Can there ever be "enough" PC Engine Emulators on a platform? I don't think so:D

Last edited by a moderator:
quadomatic said:
A600 said:

Please do port it!! I can't get uPCE or Dingux-Hugo to work with cd based games, but GP2XEngine did work with cd games!

If CD support isn't working then let Zx-81 fix his, start by telling him what's wrong. A platform does NOT need a bunch of superfluous PCE emulators that are mostly all Hu-Go ports anyway >_< Having several emulators where none excel at everything just confuses people and at worst requires them to carry multiple. Much better to focus on making one far and away the best.

Exophase said:
quadomatic said:
A600 said:

Please do port it!! I can't get uPCE or Dingux-Hugo to work with cd based games, but GP2XEngine did work with cd games!

If CD support isn't working then let Zx-81 fix his, start by telling him what's wrong. A platform does NOT need a bunch of superfluous PCE emulators that are mostly all Hu-Go ports anyway >_< Having several emulators where none excel at everything just confuses people and at worst requires them to carry multiple. Much better to focus on making one far and away the best.

CD support is not a big deal since it's supported in original Hu-Go version. I've added CD support in my PSP port, but i have to say that audio track support it not well done in original Hu-Go. What i've done for PSP is to decode mp3 track in a thread using PSP hardware while playing the data part of the CD as any other roms. Sometimes the CD audio track continue to play even if it should stop etc ... only because it is not supported in original Hu-go emulator. All the CD stuff has to be rewritten in Hugo to support audio track properly. I've never found enough time and motivation to rewrite all that parts of the emu, and i have not enough knownledge about PCE itself to do it right.

About CD support in Hugo, you have to convert CD roms ISO using a specific software that would be able to extract TOC file that describes each track position and filename associated to each track in Hu-go private format. It's not convenient at all. So if someone wants to port another emu with better CD rom support let's do it, but do not waste your time with another Hu-go port ;).

zx-81 said:
Exophase said:
quadomatic said:
A600 said:

CD support is not a big deal since it's supported in original Hu-Go version. I've added CD support in my PSP port, but i have to say that audio track support it not well done in original Hu-Go. What i've done for PSP is to decode mp3 track in a thread using PSP hardware while playing the data part of the CD as any other roms. Sometimes the CD audio track continue to play even if it should stop etc ... only because it is not supported in original Hu-go emulator. All the CD stuff has to be rewritten in Hugo to support audio track properly. I've never found enough time and motivation to rewrite all that parts of the emu, and i have not enough knownledge about PCE itself to do it right.

About CD support in Hugo, you have to convert CD roms ISO using a specific software that would be able to extract TOC file that describes each track position and filename associated to each track in Hu-go private format. It's not convenient at all. So if someone wants to port another emu with better CD rom support let's do it, but do not waste your time with another Hu-go port ;) .

bchunk in linux spits out .wav and .iso tracks from isos and bin/cue files just fine. There's a windows program that does essentially the same thing as well (cddissect I think) The TOC files are all over the place online. I converted Dracula X in this way because I thought it was what I was supposed to do...it was pretty simple.

I remember having to do this for GP2XEngine as well

Back