Up-To-Date Firmware Tarball

skeezix said:
Btw the one on my blog was used in first shipping devices so is acceptible for use

I flag it out of date to encourage us to come up with better way to do it than my blog :)

jeffphone

To do what, make a bootable SD with the current image?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I tried Sinoth's tarball once so far. It got up to the first run wizard, and then halts, accepts no input from any source, except to "Pandora + Power" to reboot.

I'm trying it again to ensure that it wasn't a fluke.

Edit - Confirmed: Controls fail at First Run Wizard.

mindlord said:

Sorry to hear that :( Works fine here... what command did you use to extract to the SD card? Maybe some of the permissions are wrong or something... I used "tar -xjpf".

sinoth said:
mindlord said:

Sorry to hear that :( Works fine here... what command did you use to extract to the SD card? Maybe some of the permissions are wrong or something... I used "tar -xjpf".

I was using sudo file-roller, which worked fine for a tarball I did earlier. I don't get it. Now my tarball is doing the same thing.

mindlord said:
sinoth said:
mindlord said:

I was using sudo file-roller, which worked fine for a tarball I did earlier. I don't get it. Now my tarball is doing the same thing.

Worked fine for me. I just used tar xvjf tarfile.tar.bz2 -C /sdcard

Now, any way for it to always boot to SD card by default? :p

Noisome said:
Worked fine for me. I just used tar xvjf tarfile.tar.bz2 -C /sdcard

Ok, I'll try it again using this commandline. Does this preserve root ownership of the system files?

Noisome said:
Yep! Rename 'boot.txt' to 'autoboot.txt'

mindlord said:
Ok, I'll try it again using this commandline. Does this preserve root ownership of the system files?
Yes, and its just one of those muscle memory things I've learned over the years... usually I use -xvjpf, which is:
x - extract
v - verbose (show files as they are extracted)
j - used if the file is a tar.bz2 (use 'z' if it is a tar.gz)
p - preserve file permissions
f - specify the file to extract

Gotta love Linux command line utils :p

Hint: Even if you changed the dev in the boot.txt, if you have a reflash ready sd card in slot 0 and put this one in slot 1, then reboot and select sd 1,1, you will reflash your pandora...

It seems like you must put the sd card into the left slot.

Spirit said:
Hint: Even if you changed the dev in the boot.txt, if you have a reflash ready sd card in slot 0 and put this one in slot 1, then reboot and select sd 1,1, you will reflash your pandora...
The bootloader only sees first card, and the format is SD<card number>,<partition number>, so it's always SD1,X .

Anyone else having problems switching from XFCE to Mmenu using Sinoth's tarball?
When I try to switch, nothing appears to happen, but afterward XFCE's session handler appears to get into a wacky state that won't allow me to gracefully log out, shutdown, or restart.

mindlord said:
Anyone else having problems switching from XFCE to Mmenu using Sinoth's tarball?
When I try to switch, nothing appears to happen, but afterward XFCE's session handler appears to get into a wacky state that won't allow me to gracefully log out, shutdown, or restart.

Same happens here. I have to go into console and issue shutdown in a labor intensive way. Ever get this figured out?

Another thing I notice is it does not save session setting either.

I've gotten used to using /usr/pandora/scripts/op_starupmanager.sh to set mmenu to the default wm, logging out and back in, and then doing the opposite when I need XFCE back. It works, but it's not the best. Oddly, the menu entry for op_startupmanager.sh does not work, but it works from the terminal. Ah, the joys of unofficial firmware. :p

mindlord said:
I've gotten used to using /usr/pandora/scripts/op_starupmanager.sh to set mmenu to the default wm, logging out and back in, and then doing the opposite when I need XFCE back. It works, but it's not the best. Oddly, the menu entry for op_startupmanager.sh does not work, but it works from the terminal. Ah, the joys of unofficial firmware. :p

Sorry I haven't tested minimenu at all. I only use the SD card to compile stuff. Maybe when the new official firmware comes out they'll release a firmware tarball for me to mirror.

Noisome said:
Sorry I haven't tested minimenu at all. I only use the SD card to compile stuff. Maybe when the new official firmware comes out they'll release a firmware tarball for me to mirror.

I really hope so. I like the freedom that putting the firmware on a nice sized SD card gives me. I can install anything I want without having to work in the confines of 512MB of NAND, and I can compile things on my Pandora easily. It really is in their best interest to provide the tarball as an option to developers.

I hope there's a way like SSU or pnd version to update that way, I've invested a bit of time customizing.

EDIT: where are the settings saved for the last xsession? I need to delete it because of the goofiness with the session manager on SD I want to get rid of the terminal that keeps starting on login.

xopher said:
I hope there's a way like SSU or pnd version to update that way, I've invested a bit of time customizing.

EDIT: where are the settings saved for the last xsession? I need to delete it because of the goofiness with the session manager on SD I want to get rid of the terminal that keeps starting on login.

Why not just close the terminal and then go to Start/Logoff and checkmark the Save Session and then logoff and log in?

xopher said:

It's in the menu, under Settings -> Sessions and startup.

Back