Unstable Gp2x

NightShadow

Still Fresh
Website
www.ptgamers.com
Hi there,

I have my GP2x for a couple of months now, but I have only started using it regularly since last week.

I have been instaling and configuring most emus, and the excelent Gmenu2x from Ryo.

The problem is that most emulators are very unstable, and even when games are running they quit back to the menu (I have even exeperienced one game of Metal Slug 2 using gngeo2x 0.7 where i was not touching the controls, and it just aborted to the menu).

I could understand if this was a problem with just one emulator, but it seems to affect most of them (NeoGeo, SNES, Amiga, DrMD).

I am wondering if it can have anything to do with Gmenu2x and some kind of bug in it... I am going to try using the regular menu to see if the GP2x keeps unstable.

Anyway, if you guys have already experienced this, plese lend me a hand, since my GP32 seems a whole lot more stable than the 2x :(

Thanks

if the gp2x is unstable its to 99,99999% a issue of batterys not beeing able to suply enugh power.
Buy proper nimh rechargeables!

Vimacs posted on Oct 3 2006 at 04:51 PM said:
if the gp2x is unstable its to 99,99999% a issue of batterys not beeing able to suply enugh power.
Buy proper nimh rechargeables!
then my gp2x was one of the 0.00001 percent...

Last edited by a moderator:
NightShadow posted on Oct 3 2006 at 10:41 AM said:
Hi there,

I have my GP2x for a couple of months now, but I have only started using it regularly since last week.

I have been instaling and configuring most emus, and the excelent Gmenu2x from Ryo.

The problem is that most emulators are very unstable, and even when games are running they quit back to the menu (I have even exeperienced one game of Metal Slug 2 using gngeo2x 0.7 where i was not touching the controls, and it just aborted to the menu).

I could understand if this was a problem with just one emulator, but it seems to affect most of them (NeoGeo, SNES, Amiga, DrMD).

I am wondering if it can have anything to do with Gmenu2x and some kind of bug in it... I am going to try using the regular menu to see if the GP2x keeps unstable.

Anyway, if you guys have already experienced this, plese lend me a hand, since my GP32 seems a whole lot more stable than the 2x :(

Thanks

A more proper question would be ... what is the mh rating of your batteries, if it is below 1000 then the power output is not enough for the GP2X. The hardware needs at least 1.2 Amps to run. Hope this helps more that a generic your batteries "suck".

Gary Miller posted on Oct 3 2006 at 05:49 PM said:
NightShadow posted on Oct 3 2006 at 10:41 AM said:
Hi there,

Thanks

A more proper question would be ... what is the mh rating of your batteries, if it is below 1000 then the power output is not enough for the GP2X. The hardware needs at least 1.2 Amps to run. Hope this helps more that a generic your batteries "suck".
omg no no,
the rating on the batteries is mah thats something different than mA, the amount of mah is just the capacity of the batteries, not the amount of mA they can supply.

Gary Miller posted on Oct 3 2006 at 03:49 PM said:
You have no clue what you´re talking about, eh? Capacity is measured in mAh (milli Ampere*hour). Current is measured in A (Ampere) or mA (milli Ampere)

It is being said that you need at a AC coverter capable of supplying 1000 mA (or 1 A) to power your GP2X. I hardly think you can explain what this has to do with the batterys.

Back on topic: If i understand this right, your GP2X is not rebooting, but quits to the menu all the time?
This might me a Gmenu2x issue, try to run your emus without it. Or maybe your SD card has read errors? That´s rather inprobable, but if you have another SD card at hand, you might try changing them.

Fishbong posted on Oct 3 2006 at 12:58 PM said:
Gary Miller posted on Oct 3 2006 at 03:49 PM said:
You have no clue what you´re talking about, eh? Capacity is measured in mAh (milli Ampere*hour). Current is measured in A (Ampere) or mA (milli Ampere)

It is being said that you need at a AC coverter capable of supplying 1000 mA (or 1 A) to power your GP2X. I hardly think you can explain what this has to do with the batterys.

Back on topic: If i understand this right, your GP2X is not rebooting, but quits to the menu all the time?
This might me a Gmenu2x issue, try to run your emus without it. Or maybe your SD card has read errors? That´s rather inprobable, but if you have another SD card at hand, you might try changing them.

No I dropped the a from the mAh by fat fingering it not on purpose soo there ... :p since I did get the rest right cut me a break ....

Nope, you didn´t get anything right. You babbled about the power output of some batteries not being high enough, which is simply ridiculous if you have any idea of how a battery works.

I think the menu can be causing your issues only if you use the "Don't leave" option, that will launche the link without quitting the menu.
This is only meant to be used in very special situations, not for common links.

Other than that I always use gmenu2x and I don't think my gp2x is unstable at all.

If your applications quit to gmenu2x when they crash, it could be due to the wrapper or the dontleave option. The first should not cause any problem.

Fishbong posted on Oct 3 2006 at 01:56 PM said:
Nope, you didn´t get anything right. You babbled about the power output of some batteries not being high enough, which is simply ridiculous if you have any idea of how a battery works.

mAh is power (current at the cell voltage over time) over time I did not say voltage which is different. although not strickly power(wattage) = (P=IE) it is a measure of capacity. That is why I said 1000 (without mAh, my bad) but since I gave my units in the prior sentence (even though it was missing the A) I did not think it needed to be restated. The 1000 mAh is the minumum rating that should drive the gp2x since it needs 1.2 Amps to work. Of course this is the minimum and would only work for a short period (potentially 1 hour at full load) 1 Amp for 1 hour or 1000 mAh.

:p

Gary Miller posted on Oct 3 2006 at 08:16 PM said:

mAh is power (current at the cell voltage over time) over time I did not say voltage which is different. although not strickly power(wattage) = (P=IE) it is a measure of capacity. That is why I said 1000 (without mAh, my bad) but since I gave my units in the prior sentence (even though it was missing the A) I did not think it needed to be restated. The 1000 mAh is the minumum rating that should drive the gp2x since it needs 1.2 Amps to work. Of course this is the minimum and would only work for a short period (potentially 1 hour at full load) 1 Amp for 1 hour or 1000 mAh.

Do. Your. Homework.

Gary Miller posted on Oct 3 2006 at 02:16 PM said:

Then how come my 2500mah batteries last much longer than 2.08 hours? You really aren't sure of what you're talking about, and especially not the specifics of the GP2X itself.

Gary Miller posted on Oct 3 2006 at 06:16 PM said:

:lol: The GP2X needs 1.2 Amps? That´s strange, because my oscillograph said it needs about 600 mA, and that was when i overclocked it to 290 MHz.

Also every AA battery can supply 3 A or more, it just gets very hot doing so.

But from your post i can thell you can´t even tell the difference between current and capacity.

I should have said the maximum draw was 1.2 so at full rated draw my statement is correct but I did not know what the system draws normally. At 600 mA then the time frame would double the estimates I gave of time and the draw is not consistent so any numbers are estimates anyway. At this point I concede that I screwed up too many times to be considered a source so consider me silenced on this point.

Gary Miller posted on Oct 3 2006 at 08:55 PM said:
I should have said the maximum draw was 1.2 so at full rated draw my statement is correct but I did not know what the system draws normally. At 600 mA then the time frame would double the estimates I gave of time and the draw is not consistent so any numbers are estimates anyway. At this point I concede that I screwed up too many times to be considered a source so consider me silenced on this point.
Wrong again. The maximum draw is a little less than 1A, as that is what psu is needed, and I'm not gonna read the rest of the crap.

Gary Miller posted on Oct 3 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
I should have said the maximum draw was 1.2 so at full rated draw my statement is correct
What has this to do with the batteries?

I've only experienced the quit to menu issue whilst running overclocked at about 270. I'd say try it with a wired PSU, if it occurs then considder blaming the hardware. If it runs fine on the PSU, try new batteries, new chargers, new shoes, clothing, wristbands, etc. you'll get there in the end.

These people take their coulombs very seriously!

Back