Unrar Not Available

milkshake

Advanced Member
iv downloaded some rar files using chromium on my pandora but i cant open then even with squeeze does anyone know of a way i can unrar files using my pandora I already tried

sudo opkg install unrar

but this fails hope someone can give some advice

cheers

EDIT:update this has been solved now yay - maybe OPT could add this to firmware ?? cos i hear unrar is free bur rar isnot.

joseluisjazz said:
Hey! I compiled unrar several days ago. You can download it from my ports page (direct DL).

It decompresses a single binary under ./usr/bin/ that you can copy whererever you want (tipically /usr/bin). e.g. to install it directly in the root type this:

$ sudo tar xzvf unrar-3.9.10-pandora.tar.gz -C /

EDIT: I just noticed version 3.9.10 was in www.rarlab.com, compiled it with optimizations & updated the links. It's smaller and should be faster. Enjoy.
cheers this worked a charm once installed squeeze then opened the rar file

Last edited by a moderator:
Have others reverse engineered it? I'm just asking because you can unrar things on Ubuntu before you get all the restricted stuff.

There seems to be an arm linux command line utility on the rarlabs site.

So we cannot download files that are rared on the web and use them? Most files seem to be done in rar :(

Not yet. Every problem has a solution.

[edit]

As mentioned by emcee, Rarlab downloads page: http://www.rarlab.com/rar_add.htm

Unrar for ARM linux (direct download link): http://www.rarlab.com/rar/unrar-3.9.9-arm.gz

Nothing in the angstrom repo that I can find. (FYI you can search it here)

Hey! I compiled unrar several days ago. You can download it from my ports page (direct DL).

It decompresses a single binary under ./usr/bin/ that you can copy whererever you want (tipically /usr/bin). e.g. to install it directly in the root type this:

EDIT: I just noticed version 3.9.10 was in www.rarlab.com, compiled it with optimizations & updated the links. It's smaller and should be faster. Enjoy.

For future reference, and in case there's something unrar can't extract (I don't know how many formats it supports), this is a useful website: http://wobzip.org/
There should be some more websites like that too, but that's the one I use if I happen to be on someone else's computer or something.

joseluisjazz said:

absolofdoom said:
this is a useful website: http://wobzip.org/
cheers, this is very useful to have at hand!

milkshake said:
LOL I didn't know squeeze was an archiver for xfce. I was thinking about Debian Squeeze (the actual testing stage) so I was totally confused. Now I'm gonna install squeeze too ;)

joseluisjazz said:
LOL I didn't know squeeze was an archiver for xfce. I was thinking about Debian Squeeze (the actual testing stage) so I was totally confused. Now I'm gonna install squeeze too ;)

It's installed on Pandora by default. You can find it in the accessories menu.

My 7z (on the PC, haven't tried the Pandora) can unpack zip and rar too. Dunno if that is not normal, it is the normal archlinux binary.

Just dropping a note here that unrar code is freely available, but with a license that prevents it from being used to make a rar compressor, so yeah that is propably the unrar code that most free software uses (incl unrar and 7z AFAIK). Also there's an old version of unrar available as GPL (but it cant decompress RAR3 files).
Personally, I dont like RAR at all....

second exodous said:
Have others reverse engineered it? I'm just asking because you can unrar things on Ubuntu before you get all the restricted stuff.
not without sudo apt-get install unrar me thinks or without using the ubuntu software center to install it i had this exact problem with ubuntu 10.04 lucid

Just to say I've compiled p7zip too, which can decompress a lot of formats. You can see both [topic='55761']in this thread[/topic].

Back