Unit arrived with battery in and already first-booted

Thraka

What does this mean? The battery was already in the unit and when I first booted it, it took about 10 seconds to get into the new user prompt. The wiki says it should take 10 minutes to boot. Does this mean my unit was tested? If so, I'm disapointed because the right shoulder button is stuck down. It doesn't click but when I press on it, it triggers.

I believe that that information is out of date - the earliest shipped units had that waiting time, but I seem to recall that after that, the long first boot was done after assembly. If my memory serves me correctly, that was because turning it off during that long waiting time will corrupt the firmware or something along those lines.

I opened it up and (I was going to take a picture but I cannot find my mem card.. go figure) the shoulder button looks ground down. Almost as if there was a problem in the mold and it was then fixed. There are no soft pads per this post's pictures on either of my shoulder buttons:

I love my Pandy. Thank you everyone involved in it. I'm going to have a blast come next week on vacation relaxing.

Perhaps I can find some tough foam and put it in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting timing. I dug up those very pics last night to have a look at the foam bits. I opened my Pandora for the first time to see if I could do something similar to mine (which is an earlier build, without foam).

I've got various types of sticky back foam and padding here, but no matter what I tried, the fit was too tight. Then I looked at Moxie's pics again, and it does look like the ones with foam added have been filed or ground to allow for more room. It sounds like yours have been prepared for foam, but didn't get it.

I'd try putting something in there.

I recall seeing someone mention that they had some craft foam that was of the correct density. That stuff's easy to get hold of - it comes in almost A4-sized sheets, either adhesive-backed or non - so it might be worth a look.

I used some double-sided tape, but left the thin platic sheet on the one side of it. It works fine, but it's not as clicky-soundy as my other shoulder button with the included foam pad.

...I just had to look inside to check the then perfectly fine shoulder buttons... Idiot. :(

This is because CC are now putting the L microswitch too high.

Also, we first boot all units and all units ship with the battery in. We have always done that since maybe the first 50.

This is because CC are now putting the L microswitch too high.

Ah! Is this why I was missing the foam on my left shoulder altogether?

It's a bit tricky to get that small piece of plastic lined up with the microswitch correctly without that larger piece of foam in place.

I had opened my Pandora up because the shoulder button didn't click and solved it by adding some Gaffa tape (Can fix airplanes with that stuff so why no Pandora? ;)

Got it working like a dream! And I fixed up the other shoulder button too! I got them switched in my mind when I posted this thread. The one ground down was the one working fine and the other wasn't. So I ground down the inside of the bad one like the good one and it started working better. But I also found that there is a edge that sticks out which determines how far out the button can go from the switch. This rubs up to the case and was actually forcing the button down a bit. I ground that down too and now it's absolutely perfect without any foam.

Got it working like a dream! And I fixed up the other shoulder button too! I got them switched in my mind when I posted this thread. The one ground down was the one working fine and the other wasn't. So I ground down the inside of the bad one like the good one and it started working better. But I also found that there is a edge that sticks out which determines how far out the button can go from the switch. This rubs up to the case and was actually forcing the button down a bit. I ground that down too and now it's absolutely perfect without any foam.
I´m glad you made it. Mine came powered on too but I have no issues so far.

Hi

Yea, had a play with my shoulder buttons today, my left one had no foam and barely clicked at all while the right one was just very slightly

not positive but did have foam, but both did work.

I also scraped a small amount from the back of the button where the foam sticks. Then removed the right ones foam and added a small

piece of double sided tape ( the white spongy type ) on each button leaving the backing in place on the side that presses the switch, both buttons have a more positive click now :)

Did not think to remove some of the button that stops up against the case, but I can see that by shaving this down slightly it would give the button

better travel, that will be for next time.

Hi

Yea, had a play with my shoulder buttons today, my left one had no foam and barely clicked at all while the right one was just very slightly

I also scraped a small amount from the back of the button where the foam sticks. Then removed the right ones foam and added a small

piece of double sided tape ( the white spongy type ) on each button leaving the backing in place on the side that presses the switch, both buttons have a more positive click now :)

Did not think to remove some of the button that stops up against the case, but I can see that by shaving this down slightly it would give the button

Well I noticed that when everything was put together, both the buttons were sort of hugged down a bit. The angle was visibly slanted and it didn't have the range to actually click down and come back up. After I shaved off some area where it contacts the switch it still didn't have the range of motion which led to me to wonder what was stopping it from moving. When I had the case off and was looking at the button by itself with the shoulder buttons on the hidnges it moves in a wide range. so I figured it must be hitting something with the case to prevent it from moving.

Why do they even have the foam anyway? It doesn't seem like I need it.

Hi

Well I noticed that when everything was put together, both the buttons were sort of hugged down a bit. The angle was visibly slanted and it didn't have the range to actually click down and come back up. After I shaved off some area where it contacts the switch it still didn't have the range of motion which led to me to wonder what was stopping it from moving. When I had the case off and was looking at the button by itself with the shoulder buttons on the hidnges it moves in a wide range. so I figured it must be hitting something with the case to prevent it from moving.

Hi

I have the impression that they should not have foam, and the foam is used on the ones that do not quite reach the button.

I could be wrong.

You are right about the piece on the button that comes up against the case that controls the travels in the outward

direction, I feel that could have been slightly smaller to allow a small amount more travel as you say.

Your mileage may vary, but I think they feel better with the foam. :p (I had three previous units from before the foam came into use, and I really do like the foam.)

Your mileage may vary, but I think they feel better with the foam. :p (I had three previous units from before the foam came into use, and I really do like the foam.)

Hi

I wonder if Craig or ED would mail out some of those foam pads for those that want them ?

Think I will drop thread here on that.

Back