Unable to Mount SD Card after apt upgrade

johnicboom

Fresh as a buzzard
Hello,

I'm hoping to get some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

I installed the latest updates yesterday (apt update && apt upgrade). It updated these two packages:
udisks2:armhf (2.8.1-4, 2.8.1-4+deb10u1)
libudisks2-0:armhf (2.8.1-4, 2.8.1-4+deb10u1)

Now my SD card does not mount on boot, and when I insert my card after booting, I get this message: Screenshot at 2023-04-08 04-56-01.png

Is it a reasonable thing to think I can downgrade those two packages and see if that fixes it? I only see that version if I search apt-cache, but I may be not doing it correctly (I used apt-cache show udisks2
to see which versions I had. It's possible what was installed was the default package for the Pyra OS, so I never downloaded an older version, I suppose. I guess I could pull that from https://packages.pyra-handheld.com/images/buster/ I'll check.

Any suggestions are appreciated (even just letting me know if I'm on the right track or not). I will update if I learn anything new.

Edit: I should mention that the SD Card mounts fine on my laptop. I was able to create and edit a text file and eject the card with no issue.

Last edited:
Just updated to test your issue.
Can confirm, not just you.
FAT32 partitions auto mount. my ext3 partitions are not auto mounting.
Can manually mount the partitions so there is nothing wrong reading the format or the SD cards, just something quirky with detection of .... something.
Let me dig around some more to see if I can find answers. Was disappointment that /var/log/messages didn't complain about the partitions.
-edit-
Interesting. It mounted an f2fs file system that was after an ext2 partition. At least it isn't the order of the partitions that is the problem.
-edit-
`udisksctl monitor` shows that both of my partitions are scanned. They are symlinked in /dev/disk/by-label/. dmesg not showing any errors or complaints either... ARGH

Last edited:
apt-cache showpkg <package-name> lists all available versions.
for downgrading you could try: apt install udisks2=old_version_number_here libudisks2-0=old_version_number_here
apt-mark hold <package-name> "holds" the package at the current version, preventing automatic upgrades.

cheers

Thanks so much to you both!

I can confirm that downgrading the packages (to 2.8.1-4) does resolve the issue for now. I wanted to show the Pyra off to my cousin at our Easter get together tomorrow, so I'm really glad to have a way to make things "just work" again, even if it's temporary.

Just to be extra clear for people as new as me to stuff like this, version 2.8.1-4 was upgraded to 2.8.1-4+deb10u1
I was confused and thought they were the same at first.

@pimaster so it's seeming to be just ext formats that are not wanting to automount? So interesting! I should have mentioned that I didn't see anything in journalctl after ejecting and re-inserting the SD card.

Ok, a command that gives the full detail of the error.
sudo udisksctl mount -b /dev/disk/by-label/{LABEL}
Error mounting /dev/mmcblk3p5: GDBus.Error:eek:rg.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.OptionNotPermitted: Mount option `errors=remount-ro' is not allowed

This is giving me some interesting google hits that will hopefully get an answer.
Rolling back the packages is a quick solution. Glad someone else could give the details.
-edit-
Stefan Walter found that udisks2, a service to access and manipulate storage devices, could cause denial of service via system crash if a corrupted or specially crafted ext2/3/4 device or image was mounted, which could happen automatically on certain environments.

For Debian 10 buster, this problem has been fixed in version 2.8.1-4+deb10u1.
Well, that explains why it is an ext problem. Now... how to fix.

Last edited:
I'm out of ideas. It seems something as simple as it wants to pass the parameter to the mounting service but it doesn't allow that parameter.
I don't know how to change what it wants to send and what it allows.
Raspberry Pi has had the same update. It mounts ext fs fine.

Thanks guys for the advice to downgrading...hope someone find a solution for this.

I downgraded both packages but i saw that is enough to downgrade only udisks2 to 2.8.1-4 to be able to mount the card...but maybe is better to match both packages at the same version.

Back