Unable To Install Gcc And Friends Since Hf5

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
I've reproduced this problem three times on two different SD cards now. I'm fairly certain this is a show stopper for me, can someone else confirm.

If you use the HF5 image and extract it to an SD card. It goes off without a hitch.
I even am able to safely install Firefox and libsqlite3-0 without mucking anything up.
However, if you install GCC and friends you're done-for.

I was (more or less) following Torpor's advice from the "Bollocks" thread.
Code:
opkg install gcc gcc-symlinks gcc-doc make make-dev binutils-dev cpp cpp-symlinks g++ g++-symlinks libstdc++-dev
Installing these packages will cause executables to no longer launch, sometimes reporting an IO error in X, most of the time crashing silently. If you reboot, your game is over - XFCE will fail to load at all.

I dev exclusively directly on my Pandora, so unless someone has some advice. I will not be upgrading beyond HF4.

I have only upgraded to HF5 on my non-Development Pandora (User test platform) and, since I am quite settled on my Development Pandora, have avoided this problem .. for now.

But, I will help you work out what is going on. By "causing executables to no longer launch", what happens exactly? Are you able to at least get to the console and see what happens when you, for example, launch vi or some such simple app? Do you have any more details?

We'll sort this out, I'm sure of it - there is no way I'm going to resort to cross-compiling, having gotten extremely comfortable with my onboard development environment. I can only imagine there is some sort of library discrepancy or something. One more question: did you do 'opkg update' before you did the 'opkg install ..' stuff?

Maybe I'll try to follow in your tracks on my User pandora tonight and see if I can find out whats going on, but in the meantime any more details you can provide might help immensely.

I won't be able to try again until I get home from work. No way to attach my Pandora to the network. I'm going to try installing packages one at a time to isolate the break. Unfortunately I'm not able to run a second terminal window to launch command line applications once the break occurs, and the window that I was using to install applications ceases to accept input once the package is installed so I can't really get any output from applications. Any new application I launch typically fails silently, with a few exceptions. Pressing Alt-F2 does bring up the run application dialog, but nothing will launch of course. Launching a new terminal spawns a dialog stating there was an IO error. Rebooting gets you stuck at a Slim login loop.

Strange, I sort of got gcc etc to work on my pandora, but I did it in a chroot (that's a copy of the filen on my nand). From what I can see, the only package I'm almost certian I didn't install is binutils-dev.

Are you sure that the problem is not related to the packages you are installing being too new and not updating *all* files that are linked against? The angstrom repo is *significantly* off from the pandora binaries by now. When once worked is now likely to fail (using opkg to just install single packages). With a partly updated system (updated to "latest angstrom") you will end with many packages linked against the wrong versions and similar problems.

The divide between OE and our older OE is probably getting in the way (and also a lot of OE repo ipks are confused right now .. I Think they're doing a bunch of updating, and a lot of their packages are on older OE vs newer OE still?) -- I think as we move towards the .next (newer kernel etc) those sorts of problems with go away again...

I've not done a gcc install since starting work on hf5 .. I've been using stuckie-extends to contain my native gcc's, so they survive reflashes since I was reflashing daily during hf5 development :p

jeff

Grr .. this is another reason why I wish you guys had a more public build server for building these releases .. I bet you've got the right opk's somewhere in your $BUILD tree .. grrr ..

"us guys"; we're all in it together :)

A good question is.. why isn't there a symlink from public_html/build to $BUILD or something, for that purpose :) Hmm :)

jeff

skeezix said:
A good question is.. why isn't there a symlink from public_html/build to $BUILD or something, for that purpose :) Hmm :)
well you'ld better enable apache indexing there or else....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm convinced something is terribly wrong with HF5rc2 and Final. I reinstalled to the SD card. Installed firefox and libsqlite3-0 and immediately I began to notice some hinky behavior. The only other package that gets installed with those two is libjpeg8... no big deal. I decided to install an icon theme. It wasn't a ipk either I just downloaded one from xfce-look and extracted it to ~/.icons/ and ran the cache rebuilder and BOOM! xfterm4 won't launch anymore - I/O error. [UPDATE] I removed the icon theme and KAPOW! xfterm4 runs again with no explaination as to why.

It seems something in HF5 is freaking the fuck out.

I'm downloading the RC1 package again and I'm reflashing my card one more time before I call it quits on HF5 for good. I didn't have any problems with the HF5 Beta until I tried to install the packages needed to compile XULRunner.

[Edit]
You guys know me, and I'm not usually one to complain, but this Hotfix business is for the birds. PLEASE for the love of all that is just and right in the world make getting a proper repo going a higher priority. The way things are right now are the way things were 15 years ago in the Linux world and it's no fun. I know this all seems like a good idea right now... simple to distribute... blah... blah... It's not easier in the long run, and it's breaking stuff now. If you set up a repo, fixes can go out daily, patches can be submitted and applied quickly, we won't have to wait days, weeks, or months for core application fixes. New features can be added to MiniMenu in a steady stream. We will be allowed to do a opkg update and opkg upgrade and be done with it.

I second the call for a public repo. Please, please, please Skeezix, can you pretty please, make a big tarball of your OE build environment, put it somewhere, and help us work out how to make a public build server and open repo for those that know how to, and *WANT* to use it? It would make a lot of sense.

EDIT: I'm dumb, I forgot who it is thats making the OE builds for the releases. Please inform me. Whoever it is, however we can do it, we really need to sort this out so that the standard tools of OE are available to us. Pandora is an OE device, but its not there yet ..

ED is doing the 'current builds'; djwillis is the main vision behind things. atc may help us out, we'll see :)

So, as always, same problem -- I've recently been using this analogy; we got a couple oranges, can only squeeze so much juice out of them :)

We (and I mean ED) did a bit of futzing around, even had a basic working repo a few months back, but its 'just another task on the pile' that no one can keep up with. But for awhile coudl do opkg update and opkg install from there.

Anyone want to help out? Come to #openpandora and bug atc, or step up yourself :) How to help?

- Maybe join firmware-dev as one pace to discuss it. (See http://pandorawiki.org/Firmware_governance )
- Figure out what questions you need answered and make a post, with the whole batch
-> iterative discussion.

In general we've found with our small community that very fvew are ever willing to step up, but many are willing to bug ;) (Remember that deal with 20 or 30 people wanting a nice and easy torrent of handy to use pnd files? All those people wanting, but not a single one coudl be bothered to make it, and we all know that takes a good two hours to set up and operate it. Hence, we can't get many to help with code, or administration.)

jeff

Case in point; torpor -- you offered to help a half dozen times, but never actually followed through ;) So you can't bug ;)

If some Moderator wants to split this conversation off into a new topic. I suggest we begin an open dialog about this right now. I may not be an expert on the back end of things, but I do have a modest amount of time to throw at a project, especially if it furthers my own ends. I have not volunteered because frankly I don't know how much help I can be, but if extra hands are all that is needed. I can supply some.

Go to firmware-dev as noted above; forums are a _terrible_ place to discuss this sort of thing (not to mention loss of history). We're all around the globe, and its hard to keep on top of new traffic in the forum :)

Hit firmware-dev mailing list, and we go from there :)

jeff

Our repo is working, but won't help right now, as it only has the packages in there that are in the image, no gcc or firefox.

I'd love to be able to add an extra repo where the remaining stuff will be built from our server, but no one was able to tell me yet how.

I'm having the same issue mindlord. My pandora's rebooted twice and died twice on separate occasions whilst installing dev libs via opkg. Each time it died (black screen, lights on but nobody home) I was forced to hard reboot, upon which each time my SD card was corrupted. I could not login to my account (I'm running off the SD card), it would get to the login screen and fail to execute login.

Shits me, just shits me :p

Edit: I'm running HF5. Where to get HF4 or HF5 RC1?

Edit 2: I think this is HF4 rootfs
http://openpandora.org/firmware/images/old/Angstrom-pandora-xfce-image-glibc-ipk-2010.4-test-20100830-omap3-pandora.rootfs.tar.bz2

quartercast said:
I'm having the same issue mindlord. My pandora's rebooted twice and died twice on separate occasions whilst installing dev libs via opkg. Each time it died (black screen, lights on but nobody home) I was forced to hard reboot, upon which each time my SD card was corrupted. I could not login to my account (I'm running off the SD card), it would get to the login screen and fail to execute login.

Shits me, just shits me :p

Edit: I'm running HF5. Where to get HF4 or HF5 RC1?

Edit 2: I think this is HF4 rootfs
http://openpandora.org/firmware/images/old/Angstrom-pandora-xfce-image-glibc-ipk-2010.4-test-20100830-omap3-pandora.rootfs.tar.bz2

Reinstalling an old HF won't help here.
Our packages for the base Angström system haven't changed, they are the same for HF1 till HF5.

It's more likely the newer packages from the Angström repo have become incompatible with our old tree, so it would be the same with all OS versions we currently have.
A proper repo is planned for .next, which is what DJWillis is currently working on.

Last edited:
Yep you're right, installing HF4 didn't help :)

So what can we do in the interim?

Back