Tv Out

Daggerlee

Still Fresh
I ordered the TV out for my GP2X. Does this thing actually work???? Can i plug and play with any TV with RCA outlets???

s-video, not composite. Hope your TV has the port or buy an adaptor. There's... a lot of weird scaling issues with TV out. It's hideous for most everything except the video player.

Shadowsithe posted on Mar 14 2007 at 02:36 PM said:
s-video, not composite. Hope your TV has the port or buy an adaptor. There's... a lot of weird scaling issues with TV out. It's hideous for most everything except the video player.

Yeah all my TV's have S-video. I want to use it for my Emulators, does it suck?

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't suck, it's just not quite as good as it could be. On NTSC the scaling is barely noticeable. PAL is worse but it still looks half decent.

Daggerlee posted on Mar 14 2007 at 08:38 PM said:
Shadowsithe posted on Mar 14 2007 at 02:36 PM said:

Yeah all my TV's have S-video. I want to use it for my Emulators, does it suck?

Anything with a lot of scrolling on screen looks like balls. Text gets chopped up a lot too. I don't understand the mechanics behind this, if someone more knowledgeable could be so kind...?

Shadowsithe posted on Mar 14 2007 at 10:13 PM said:
Anything with a lot of scrolling on screen looks like balls. Text gets chopped up a lot too. I don't understand the mechanics behind this, if someone more knowledgeable could be so kind...?
Almost all apps output at 320x240 and don't adjust for tvout, but tvout doesn't support the 320x240 game mode for some reason. This means everything is scaled up slightly (on PAL it becomes the equivalent of 360x288) and ends up looking slightly crap.

yep, the wii adjusts the "resolution" of the tv to the one the original consoles set, so its "perfect"
which afaik could technically also be done with he tv chip that the gp2x uses, its just that no one knows exactly how and gph is as unhelpfully as always :)

Actually us coders know how, but we're lazy, we don't really care, and code doesn't grow on trees. Now if we were Nintendo, the difference would be a boss shouting specific orders in Japanese. Then it would get done.

Blah posted on Mar 15 2007 at 09:22 PM said:
Actually us coders know how, but we're lazy, we don't really care, and code doesn't grow on trees. Now if we were Nintendo, the difference would be a boss shouting specific orders in Japanese. Then it would get done.

OK, enough with the hijakking, IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE THE NINTENO EMU (gpfce v0.2) work woth the tv out???? I am using the Gmenu2x program.

Any help please!!!!

Daggerlee posted on Mar 16 2007 at 07:37 AM said:
OK, enough with the hijakking, IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE THE NINTENO EMU (gpfce v0.2) work woth the tv out???? I am using the Gmenu2x program.

Any help please!!!!

This is what works for me. :)

First make sure to set the TV-Out to PAL. NTSC mode doesn't work for me with gpfce.

Load the game you want to play, the screen display will be split in two with the bottom half flickering.

Now just exit the game using the stick button and L&R.

Reload the same game (or even a different game) and this time the screen will display correctly and all subsequent games loaded in the emulator will, that is until I've powered down or run a different emulator. :)

Blah posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:22 AM said:
Are you implying that you managed to set the 320*240 mode?

Vimacs posted on Mar 16 2007 at 11:18 AM said:

i think he was being sarcastic :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure that it is possible to do nintendo on gp2x :lol:
Somebody just has to write better tv-out fix that scales the whole thing. It could be tricky but I think that it is possible.

Dawg posted on Mar 16 2007 at 02:42 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Mar 16 2007 at 11:18 AM said:

i think he was being sarcastic :rolleyes:

I was not being sarcastic. The way a *real* programmer would do it is overscan adjustment, which can be accomplished through a combination of letterboxing and stretching techniques.

I am not however a real programmer so it would take me two weeks to write an prealpha of said code.

So do you mean to just output a higher resolution with a black border around the 320x240 but which gets cut of by the tv since it is outside of the screen?

Sounds like a good idea to me, hopefully these things get implemented when the BoB arrives and a broader audience gets access to the tvout ;)

Back