Tv-out Problems: Only Black & White, Or Just Color With Distortion

Marco1983

Still Fresh
Website
www.mind-bending.nl
Today i finaly got my S-Video to Scart cable with the mail.

alleka-3235-main-2xTulp----Scart--Professioneel2xTulp----Scart--Pro.jpg

A few hours after i got it, i tried it out, and came to the conclusion that the TV-Out method was not the thing that i expected from the GP2X. When i connected it to my Joytech AV Center 2, it gave me a colored image on the TV with lots of distortion going on in the background. Like there was some other image going by from the top left to the lower right in the background. There was lots of distortion going on in the background, but i could defenetely see the image that there was supposed to be.

Later i connected the GP2X directly to the scart input on my TV (all two of them!) because i thought that would solve the distortion problem that i had earlier that day. However, it only gave me a black and white picture. But, i defenetely did not had the distortion going on in the background.

As far as i'm concerned the problem does not exist in the cable itself. It exists somewhere in my GP2X, or my TV is just not compatible with this kind of cable. Tomorrow i am going to try this on two other TV's that we have at home, to see if the problem realy is all about my own TV.

In the meanwhile i would like to have your opinion about this problem. Did any of you had this kind of problem before? If yes, how did you solve it? I would greatly apreciate any help concerning this problem, because i would like to watch some movies on my big screen in the near future.

Marco1983 posted on Aug 4 2006 at 01:23 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Aug 4 2006 at 11:21 PM said:
sounds like your tv dosnt support svideo

But my TV actualy has an S-Video input in the front of the TV. Together with a red an white stereo cable.
He is right, use the "real" S-Video, SCART specifications do not include S-Video.

Some newer TV's support a mode where one of the RGB lines can accept the chroma signal (color), so if you only see black and white over the SCART I would suspect that first of all.

If you have real S-Video, why did you buy that SCART cable?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a similar problem. but worse because it seems inconsistent:

I'm connecting through a scart-plug with an s-vid connector on the back of it, and sometimes it works fine, so I KNOW my tv supports s-video via scart.

however, SOMETIMES, I just get a black and white picture or a picture with the colour turned ALMOST right down. weird.

I'm using PAL - I double checked this is set correctly. the colour setting on my tv is normal. everything is set the same - first time I tried it worked, now it doesn't. GAH!

does the order of pluggin in/switching on console & tv/selecting-tv mode etc matter, ie. is there any 'auto-sensing' going on?

last night i wanted to watch a vid and I plugged and unplugged and switched things on and off, but whatever I did the picture kept coming out in black and white.

also, that's interesting that scart ports have 2 modes. maybe thats what is going on, but there is no way for me to manually pick a 'mode' for it, so maybe it has automatically flipped to the wrong one?

i'm all out of ideas...

any suggestions?

Back