Tv-out Hd (looks Like Crap)

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
I was testing my GP2X on my CRT TV I decided to hook it up to the HD TV...looks like crap on HD, I see these wierd lines on my movies, the backgrouns, games and applications all look blocky...anyway I can fix this?

Were you using direct s-video or an s-video to RCA adapter? if it was the 2nd, that could be degrading the signal. Part of it might just be the nature of displaying low resolution on a TV like that... I think only movies can use the whole 640x480 (or 720x480, not sure) at the moment, other things might be scaled in one or both directions, and this could make it look a lot blockier.

If you're talking about horizontal lines where there's fast motion in movies, this is probably a result of how the movie was ripped - deinterlacing is supposed to remove most of this.

im using and s-video to a yellow video composite adapter (who uses RCA anymore?) I should of bought an S-video chord since the HD has S-video input, but the one I use the most is the CRT one in my room

Cervante posted on Oct 1 2006 at 10:10 PM said:
im using and s-video to a yellow video composite adapter (who uses RCA anymore?) I should of bought an S-video chord since the HD has S-video input, but the one I use the most is the CRT one in my room

Sorry, I meant composite when I said RCA... RCA is usually what the physical connector is called. But I would try getting an s-video cable and see if it improves anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
BradN posted on Oct 1 2006 at 09:18 PM said:
Sorry, I meant composite when I said RCA... RCA is usually what the physical connector is called. But I would try getting an s-video cable and see if it improves anything at all.
It'll probably improve color accuracy and light saturation due to the distinct chroma and luma lines, but likely not much else. It sounds like there's a more serious problem. If only GPH had the foresight to put the component video outputs on the TV cable. :p

You'd be surprised how much of a difference S-Video out makes over composite. That's why I was getting so antsy about people saying that they should have made the TV-out cable straight composite - I felt it was quite good of GPH to have the foresight to actually make it so, as S-video to composite costs all of a few bucks and the difference is huge for those who have it.

So in short though - composite is ALWAYS going to look shit on HDTV. And remember that the menus are generally in a really shite resolution anyway, so they will look blocky regardless.

Allan.

Epicenter posted on Oct 2 2006 at 08:49 AM said:
It'll probably improve color accuracy and light saturation due to the distinct chroma and luma lines, but likely not much else. It sounds like there's a more serious problem. If only GPH had the foresight to put the component video outputs on the TV cable. :p

No. That would be shit. But i'm sure your XGP will have it.

Epicenter posted on Oct 2 2006 at 09:49 AM said:

Except for the fact that the chip only has digital RGB and Y/C out... so... where should they get it from?

Last edited:
Crt tvs are quite blurry and can cover up a lot. I have several dvds that are fine when viewed on a tv but look horrible on a computer with tft due to all the compression artifacts. Perhaps the problems are just not visible on the crt.

If you've got a monitor that can do sync on green, RGB (VGA) would just mean 3 extra wires, otherwise 5 I believe. I understand the EXT connector is a little crammed, but I'm sure they could find a way.

I've got the TV-Out running through a separate S-video cable (expensive one) and seperate RCA's looks terrible on my LCD HD TV too :(

I havent tried it on the 28" CRT upstairs yet though.

Its all that 360 HD gaming making it much worse i guess.

drokkeh posted on Oct 2 2006 at 08:53 PM said:
I've got the TV-Out running through a separate S-video cable (expensive one) and seperate RCA's looks terrible on my LCD HD TV too :(

I havent tried it on the 28" CRT upstairs yet though.

Its all that 360 HD gaming making it much worse i guess.

It is the infamous scaling and filtering, especially on a fixed pixel device like an LCD or Plasma. The filtering algorythms aren't too good on HDTVs and just make things look blurry. I guess they put more money into the HD part and the scalars are an afterthought just so that low def works. CRTs can alter scan rate and therefore pixel size a bit so it is always 1:1, it should look better on a CRT.

360 HD gaming will look good because it outputs at the native resolution.

i'll second that! Btw, its not just the GP2X that looks like this on the HD tv. My gamecube for example, using standard scart cable looks really bad. Looked relatively good on the CRT.

Anyone looking to Buy the TV-out, put it on your CRT rather than the LCD/plasma. it would probably look better on a portable CRT at a guess.

Back