Turbo Charged Gp32

markrules40

Still Fresh
I really want a GP32 i would love to play snes games on it but understand that the emus are not very well developed so far. But GBAx offers 166mhz cpu guranted for an extra cost would this improve the playabilty of snes roms? :rolleyes:

Has ne1 bought one from GBAx? Does this mean this is the max or can it go higher?

I think you will be suprised just how developed openSNES is.

I wish sites would update their emu listings to include openSNES, so many old ones list and review snes9xgp as being the 'best'.

And yes you will very much like snes emulation at 166mhz, i've played though many games on it, the addams family being my latest one to complete.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Craig, the last GP32 I bought from you was a FLU version and it runs at 166Mhz all day without problems. I know you can't guarantee that the FLUs are able to run like this, but it seems that the majority do run fine.

Obviously you have a lot more experience with them than I do, so can you give us a rough estimate of the kind of percentage of GP32s that work at 166Mhz out of the box.

I rolled the dice on a FLU GP32 from Lik-sang and got lucky with a 166mhz system, but GBAX's are all guarnteed I as I understand it.

But even on OpenSNES there are still a lot of games you might want to play that arent going to run as good as you want them to. The 166mhz does make a difference but its not going to make everything magically work perfectly.

I think about 65% are able to goto 166mhz.

Maybe 75% can do 166mhz for about 5mins then crash. Its such a simple mod i don't know why gamepark didn't just make the system 166mhz as standard. Maybe they didn't like the idea of running the CPU too close to its recommened limits.

Oh and maybe I get to have a diffrent version of opensnes :)

-Craig

www.gbax.com

os9xgp-0.2.zip
2003-12-24 21:15
yoyofr

Is that what you're using? Unless you got a secret gift I'm under the impression this was the latest version.

Its such a simple mod i don't know why gamepark didn't just make the system 166mhz as standard.

My GP32 won't do 166mhz. is it possible to do this mod to any gp32? What does it involve? I would love more speed from snes emulation. Especially as I find snes9x has better contrast and are having to use 156mhz overclocked version to play my snes games at the moment.

craigix posted on Feb 17 2004 at 03:08 AM said:
Oh and maybe I get to have a diffrent version of opensnes :)

-Craig
Hmm... if so, mind giving us a heads up as to what to expect when he next releases it so far?

I went for the FLU normal, and got a 166 one. Of course, the FLU broke about a month after getting the thing, but thankfully the nice people at GBAX and Gamepark fixed it for me :).

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Feb 17 2004 at 03:08 AM said:
Maybe 75% can do 166mhz for about 5mins then crash. Its such a simple mod i don't know why gamepark didn't just make the system 166mhz as standard. Maybe they didn't like the idea of running the CPU too close to its recommened limits.
Hi !

Is it possible that running the cpu at 166 costs much battery-life and gamepark wants to guarantee a long battery-life ?

When a cpu is designed to run at 166 then there is no danger to use this speed - or am i wrong ?

Greetings

Tobias

Last edited by a moderator:
There haven't been any reports AFAIK of damaged CPUs running at 166. Any system incapable of it just crashes or reboots. The higher MHZ does burn batteries a bit faster, but you're only losing 2 or 3 hours...maybe a little more but that depends on what you're running at that speed.

Back