Votes: 1 16.7%
  • COME ON, THEN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
Bullet has really pathetic documentation for what seems to be the most active and powerful open-source physics engine.

And the forums are nearly dead, I asked for help this morning and I think there's been 2 more posts all day, one was from me saying "I fixed my problem but ran into a different one so here's the update"

And I've been in the freenode IRC channel since probably yesterday. There was a helpful person at one point, but I guess he left.

FFFFFFFFFFFFF-

At least with ODE it was simple enough that I could read the documentation and understand something, even if there was nobody to answer questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Don't you hate it when nobody replies to you on the internet? Just wait a week or so. Usually takes some time.

I had a similar experience with SFML. I had a problem, posted it on the forums and the response I got after like a week and a half was "Oh well you can't do that" and "Well, why not implement a signal system like Qt". It was a joke.

Bullet has really pathetic documentation for what seems to be the most active and powerful open-source physics engine.

And the forums are nearly dead, I asked for help this morning and I think there's been 2 more posts all day, one was from me saying "I fixed my problem but ran into a different one so here's the update"

And I've been in the freenode IRC channel since probably yesterday. There was a helpful person at one point, but I guess he left.

FFFFFFFFFFFFF-

At least with ODE it was simple enough that I could read the documentation and understand something, even if there was nobody to answer questions.

Move on. A flashy physics engine with no documentation is like learning how to fly a plane with out an instructor.

Move on. A flashy physics engine with no documentation is like learning how to fly a plane with out an instructor.
But I want to program a domino-based game.

And handling the physics for dominoes without a physics engine is like trying to fly a plane that has no wings.

My only other options are ODE, which I migrated from because it was slow and had a couple of bad glitches, and Tokamak, which doesn't seem to have any documentation. (Maybe I have to download it from somewhere?)

But since my thread on the bullet forums is still being ignored, and since the forum members are all either floundering noobs like me or the guy who programmed the engine (who is probably busy), I'll try to see what Tokamak has for documentation.

http://www.tokamakphysics.com/documentation/

That was easy. But why was it hiding under "more info"? Documentation is the second most important part of a big code library like this, it should have its own tab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really the best thing to do with Bullet is look at the sources, and try some of the sample programs. Its not that difficult once you've done this, but you definitely have to divert some of your education time into going through sources and grokking things that way ..

Back