Trouble Getting Outcast (Atari St) Emulator To Work

malgayne

Still Fresh
Website
www.wowhead.com
I accidentally posted this in the GP2X forums earlier, reposting in the proper location.

So I've downloaded the Wiz version of OutcaST, dropped it on my SD card, put the roms in the proper (hardcoded, for some reason) location, and fired it up. It runs perfectly, it detects all my disk images just fine. I insert a disk image into the drive, and then hit the X button to "run emu". I get a black screen. The select button brings up the keyboard, but clicking that doesn't seem to do anything either. I can click the "Menu" button to bring the menu back, but even resetting the emulator doesn't seem to get the actual program running. I've tried it with multiple disks, all of which seem to work fine in emulators on my Mac. Ideas and suggestions are most welcome, I loved my old Atari ST. :)

I have the same problem, which sucks :( because I really want to play Time Bandit. But I can't. I tried a lot of different things.

Probably the dev made it work on the older firmware and the new one made it stop working. Does anyone know if source is available or who to contact?

edit: the base source is available: as "castaway" but not the source to "Outcast" -- which is weird, because Castaway is GPL. But maybe I'm missing something.

edit again: I pm'ed "skeezix" who I think is the dev of outcast and the ports of castaway to gp32 and etc. Hopefully he'll either fix the issue or release the source (hopefully both.)

I talked to skeezix over PM, nice guy!! He thinks our problem is our TOS image. I am using a TOS 1.2 UK image i think, which works fine in all emulators I've ever used (including the DS ST emu, NoSTalgia on the mac, etc) but skeezix thinks his emu is more picky about the ROM. I'll get on the hunt for a US TOS 1.02 image (his recommendation) and try that out.

Still would love to get my hands on the source in case skeezix gets too busy.

Malgayne, just FYI, I got it to work. I got a tos102us.img file, and made sure it was (a) uppercase TOS.ROM (not just tos.rom) but also (B) removed the xattr's my mac os x install put on the card. If you're on OS X, those xattrs really mess stuff up. Anyway, it works now!

fells said:
Malgayne, just FYI, I got it to work. I got a tos102us.img file, and made sure it was (a) uppercase TOS.ROM (not just tos.rom) but also ( B) removed the xattr's my mac os x install put on the card. If you're on OS X, those xattrs really mess stuff up. Anyway, it works now!

This is wonderful! I'll try and figure it out myself—but I'm not sure how to go about removing the xattr files (I assume those are the ._TOS.ROM type files that show up in the Launcher). I can't delete them from the OS X finder, but I can't delete them from the Wiz itself either. Do I have to go through and do it via a PC? Worse, do I...

...okay, halfway through the process I changed the file over so it was TOS.ROM instead of tos.rom, and apparently that's all it takes. Working properly now. :)

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got hold of a usTOS1.02.img, put it in the right place and re-named it TOS.ROM but I'm still getting a black screen. I'm also using a mac but if it doesn't have problems with xatr's \i don't know what it could be.

You have to make a ROM directory in the root of your SD card if I remember right - so it would be:

SD:/ROM/TOS.ROM

Also copy any games to that folder, hope that helps, if not I'll upload the emulator as I have it on my Wiz for you, let me know either way.

I've got SD>ROMS>atari-st>TOS.ROM with all the games in that folder too. It doesn't show any "can't find TOS.ROM" errors, it just goes black.

I had quite a bit of trouble finding the one I'm using. I've searched for tos102uk but all I can find is chat on forums like this with people having the same kind of conversation but for different machines.

found a 192kb tos102uk.img and renamed it to TOS.ROM in ROMS>atari-st but still just a black screen. Maybe my roms are goosed.

*EDIT* I've tried it with a bunch of different roms from another source now and it still doesn't work. I'm going to start from scratch. Anyone got links to all the bits I need?

axiomprime I sent you a personal message with a link to the ST emulator exactly as I have it on my Wiz, please download and try it out.

Looks like the problem was with my version of the emulator itself. Mine didn't have as many files in it as yours. Thank you so much. You've made my day.

Back