Tron Clone

Baggers

Still Fresh
Hi All, and Happy New Year for tomorrow :)

I've just joined the GP2X scene, as I got one for Xmas from my wife :D

Anyway, with the use of Rlyeh's Minimal Lib for setting up screen etc., I've written my first game.

Lottys_Lines I was going to wait til the new year to release it, but decided to release it before.

PS, before you all ask why I called it Lottys_Lines, it was for my 4 year old Daughter Lotty.

Hope you enjoy it.

Baggers.

I'll keep you posted when I release another game. :)

Let me know what you guys think, and any request mods to it. if it's reasonable I might do it :)

Image Attached.
Lottys_Lines.jpg

Another edit :)
PS, Keys are

B - to start game
START - pause / resume game
VOL_DN + START to exit out of program.

Happy new year to you and to your family too.

Unfortunately I can't test this on my GP2X right now, but it would be great if you were able to get us few screenshots of how is the game like? and maybe you can also ask EvilDragon to submit it to the archive, I hear many people are facing trouble with that lately, the submit page asks for a field that doesnt exist or 'something similar.

Hope am not asking for too much, waiting for your next games :)

Edit: that was quick, thanks a lot for the screenshot, will test it soon as I can :)

sehs33 posted on Dec 31 2006 at 03:10 PM said:
Happy new year to you and to your family.

Unfortunately I can't test this on my GP2X right now, but it would be great if you were able to get us few screenshots of how is the game like? and maybe you can also ask EvilDragon to submit it in the archive, I hear many people are facing trouble with that lately, page asking for a field that doesnt exist or 'something similar.

Thanks, :)

Yeah, I've just added a photo hope that helps.

Note to Evil Dragon, any chance you can submit it to the archive?

Also, I was going to port my port of Bruce Lee to GP2X, but since it's GP2X already has speccy emu, is it worth me doing that, or do something more interesting?

Baggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tron & Bruce Lee :eek:, 2 of my fave games ever.
Thank You Baggers & a big welcome :D

I think a standalone port of Bruce Lee would be most welcome in the community & could give people the ability to make new levels etc. for it too maybe?

Just downloading your Lottys_Lines release & I'll let you know how I get on.

Happy new year to you too :)

EDIT: After a quick test I'm pleased to say that the game works great so far.
I like the way that it can advance in levels instead of just doing the same thing again & again.

If your looking for idea's.. how about a boost button that you can only use now & again (builds up over a certain amount of time). This seems to have worked well in some of the other Tron type games & will make it a little easier when facing multiple opponents.

You forgot to mention that pressing select within the menu changes difficulty from hard to easy btw :)

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Dec 31 2006 at 03:36 PM said:
Tron & Bruce Lee :eek:, 2 of my fave games ever.
Thank You Baggers & a big welcome :D

I think a standalone port of Bruce Lee would be most welcome in the community & could give people the ability to make new levels etc. for it too maybe?

Just downloading your Lottys_Lines release & I'll let you know how I get on.

Happy new year to you too :)

EDIT: After a quick test I'm pleased to say that the game works great so far.
I like the way that it can advance in levels instead of just doing the same thing again & again.

If your looking for idea's.. how about a boost button that you can only use now & again (builds up over a certain amount of time). This seems to have worked well in some of the other Tron type games & will make it a little easier when facing multiple opponents.

You forgot to mention that pressing select within the menu changes difficulty from hard to easy btw :)

Thanks for the big welcome B)
As for Bruce Lee, yeah, I'll do that then, PS, don't suppose your any good at art? I'm c**p :D

Yeah, Select changes difficulty :) well spotted lol

Yeah, a boost button, will be on the cards, yeah it was on the arcade original too.

Cheers,
Baggers

Baggers posted on Dec 31 2006 at 03:43 PM said:
As for Bruce Lee, yeah, I'll do that then, PS, don't suppose your any good at art? I'm c**p :D

Yeah, a boost button, will be on the cards, yeah it was on the arcade original too.

Cheers,
Baggers
I'm crap at art, but have just got a new Wacom tablet for my laptop,
If you need something pretty basic then feel free to give me a shout & I'll see what I can do :)

EDIT: How about adding the option to use the 2x's buttons for controlling the bike instead of the joystick? These seem more responsive than the joystick sometimes & some people prefer to use them. You can use the shoulder buttons for the boost, that way it won't matter which control method the users prefer :)

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Dec 31 2006 at 04:00 PM said:
Baggers posted on Dec 31 2006 at 03:43 PM said:

Cheers,
Baggers
I'm crap at art, but have just got a new Wacom tablet for my laptop,
If you need something pretty basic then feel free to give me a shout & I'll see what I can do :)

EDIT: How about adding the option to use the 2x's buttons for controlling the bike instead of the joystick? These seem more responsive than the joystick sometimes & some people prefer to use them. You can use the shoulder buttons for the boost, that way it won't matter which control method the users prefer :)

Sounds like a plan for the control :) and would be a lot more precise than the D-pad.
Was thinking artwise if you wanted to redo bruce lee? redesign levels etc. from scratch? since gp2x has just a few more colours than speccy etc. :D

Oh And WarmFluffyUK Thanks for the welcome, and I'm glad it works a treat on yours too.
thank Rlyeh's minimal sdk for that :)

I grew up with the C64 version, is that much different from the speccy version?

I might be sh*t at graphics but I'm pretty sure that even I can improve on this:

bruce_lee.gif

Never mind I found the speccy version:

brucelee.gif

:D

EDIT: This guy should have all the C64 graphics files here if you were wanting to use them? Send him a quick email & be nice ;)

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Dec 31 2006 at 05:04 PM said:
I grew up with the C64 version, is that much different from the speccy version?

I might be sh*t at graphics but I'm pretty sure that even I can improve on this:

bruce_lee.gif

Never mind I found the speccy version:

brucelee.gif

:D

EDIT: This guy should have all the C64 graphics files here if you were wanting to use them? Send him a quick email & be nice ;)

I already have all the spectrum style graphics, from the GBA and PSP remake I did. :)

Oh, I was also going to do a 3D Monster Maze remake, still with ZX81 graphics, as I did it for a PIC microchip to TV project I did earlier this year (2006:)) I'd do a ZX81 emu, but I don't know enough about the ZX81 insides, not that there's much to know, but rather than just port someone else's emu, i'd remake the game, that way, I can update it also, one day :)

Lotty's lines is great! one question: How do you quit?

Needs some sounds, but still enjoyable without.

Hi All, just to let you know, if you grab it again, it's a newer version

now with ABXY for button directions too.

and L or R shoulder buttons for boost, ( see red boost bar below score :D )

yes, VOL_DN + START = QUIT

SELECT = change DIFFICULTY on menu screen.

Enjoy.

and Happy New Year.

Penguin Geek posted on Dec 31 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
Lotty's lines is great! one question: How do you quit?

Needs some sounds, but still enjoyable without.

Hi Penguin Geek,

I was gonna add sounds, but what kinda sounds?

I could put a hum in, and a faster hum sound when you boost now that boost is in :)
and an explosion sound + pixels blowing up, when bikes die :)

but I'll save all that til next year :) not long now lol

Just tried the new version & it works great.
The buttons seem a lot more responsive & even allow me to do those cool small gap close shaves :D

Maybe for the music you could do what a lot of people seem to want these days & give the program the ability to play an MP3 file(s)?

What language you programming in?

As for the Bruce Lee graphics, I probably won't be able to create all new stuff (I could but it will take me way too long to do), but the C64 ones are very easy to modify.

bruce_lee.png

I just updated this image by filling the blocks in with some standard patterns from the Gimp :)

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Dec 31 2006 at 11:17 PM said:
Just tried the new version & it works great.
The buttons seem a lot more responsive & even allow me to do those cool small gap close shaves :D

Maybe for the music you could do what a lot of people seem to want these days & give the program the ability to play an MP3 file(s)?

What language you programming in?

As for the Bruce Lee graphics, I probably won't be able to create all new stuff (I could but it will take me way too long to do), but the C64 ones are very easy to modify.

bruce_lee.png

I just updated this image by filling the blocks in with some standard patterns from the Gimp :)

Yeah, was gonna put some music in.

I'm programming in C but will be asm for later programs, once I've got used to the hardware.

Baggers posted on Dec 31 2006 at 03:14 PM said:
sehs33 posted on Dec 31 2006 at 03:10 PM said:
Happy new year to you and to your family.

Unfortunately I can't test this on my GP2X right now, but it would be great if you were able to get us few screenshots of how is the game like? and maybe you can also ask EvilDragon to submit it in the archive, I hear many people are facing trouble with that lately, page asking for a field that doesnt exist or 'something similar.

Thanks, :)

Yeah, I've just added a photo hope that helps.

Note to Evil Dragon, any chance you can submit it to the archive?

Also, I was going to port my port of Bruce Lee to GP2X, but since it's GP2X already has speccy emu, is it worth me doing that, or do something more interesting?

Baggers.

port bruce lee ,i have the orginal and played it to death and played it on the spectrum emu as well, but a good clean standalone version would be great, also have you thought about porting any other spectrum games , like the fruit machine and video poker games, which or great..... :)

i would think a proper japanese \ chinese picture would look good as a background for the first level, i would post some but i cant work out how to post pictures lol :(

http://www.jref.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/503

some pictures here...

Hi fatdad,
Nice pics :) and nice idea, I could super impose the game over the backdrops, that'd be a cool idea :) cheers.

As for fruit machine, is anyone familiar with the swinging bells? a fruit machine game I saw while I was in Newfoundland, I did a (rubbish art tm) version of that, I could quite easily and quickly port to GP2X.

Baggers

Yeh it's a good idea fatdad.

The update that I did to the graphics was just to show how easily the C64 one's would be to update & only took me about 4 minutes using the fill tool within the gimp.

I'm pretty sure that a lot better could be done.. it depends on if Baggers is looking to just do a small graphical update of the game whilst keeping it a faithfull version, or if he wants to bring it a little more upto date than that?.

I'd be up for either as I just luv the game anyway :D

QUESTION: Do all the versions of this game, from all the different computer systems play exactly the same or are there gameplay differences?

EDIT: There were some people screaming out for a fruit machine game about 2 weeks ago Baggers. If you port it, they will play ;)

Back