Transfer files between GP32 and Amiga?

CU_AMiGA

Website
Visit site
Hello,

As you can probably tell from my title, i am an Amiga owner. And have quite a hefty Amiga, which can do quite a lot. I prefer Amiga's to PC! Anyway i would like to know if any software exosts for the Amiga to allow tranfer of GP32 files, just like you would on a PC or MAC. If, not would it be possible for someone to make it?

Cheers,

I used to work on CU Amiga magazine.

You're probably best using a card reader.

There are PCI-based USB cards such as the Spider II and Amiga-compatible card readers.

Thanks for the replys,

I have a friend who has a card reader at the moment can also buy stuff for it that would normally require software when used on PC and MAC, but automounts on Amiga. I have no USB card reader as yet.

Cheers,

I'm a heavy amiga user A1200T 040/PPC mediator ,voodoo3000,fast ethernet etc etc and i have a GP32 :) i seen the odd mac software for the GP32 it maybe possible to use this software with a mac emulator PPC or 68K (i used to play Duke Nukem on Shapeshifter) hell why not if i get time i,ll give it a try .

OH yeh! Amigas <_< There are even a couple of decent Z2/Z3 USB1.1 cards for Amiga. I never took too close look at Chris Hodges' Poseidon USB stack but according to him Bulk Devices like GP32 can be accessed via standard Exec Device stuff. So that should be an easy task. Too bad Amiga stuff is even more expensive than Mac stuff these days, which made me reconsider twice purchasing a Z2 USB card for my A3000. Would be cool to code a PCLink for Amiga though :blink:

Another ex-amiga guy here too..

Still got my a1200/030/fpu..

Was gonna get the tower case/zorro expansion/ppc etc etc, but I 'needed' a pc for my final year project.

OK, offtopic but...
What are your reactions to OS4?
http://os.amiga.com/os4/OS4Features.php
I think it looks really good...
Great that it has a JIT for 68k code and so on... old programs work...
An Amiga with a G5 would be a pretty powerful Amiga...
Almost all "old" Amiga stuff would work and maybe just maybe Mac OSX emu...
Ahh... maybe I'm dreaming again...

Nice to see that the Amiga is still supported and loved. :D Personally i don't really believe in using PCs. That may seem mad, but when i am doing work at college, on the PCs, they would sometimes crash, for reasons unknown to man. When i get home and bootup my Amiga, it really is a relief to "get out of there". The thing is though, what makes the Amiga great is the OS, and used to be the technology of it. But what lets down the Amiga is the lack of support, hardware, software and games wise, however, the Amiga community is as strong as ever.

Anyway, back on the subject. I was also thinking about trying this on an old Macintosh emulator, via Shapeshifter, but don't know any software that can do this or work on 68k Macs. Anyone? I think that doing it on the Amiga side would be better, more stable, etc. Is there GP32 software for Linux? (or Unix, not sure), as i think the Amiga is pretty similar to that, maybe that would work.

Having said that though, i do have access to a PC to transfer files back and forth, just that i prefer to handle that stuff on Amiga! :p

Also about graphic games, i own Quake , Wipeout 2097 and Payback (GTA clone). All are great, if a little old. Other top games are Heretic 2, Quake 2, etc.

Thanks for the replies,

Here is the GP32 software for Linux, inlcuding source code. I don't actually know how this works but i put a similar discussing to this up on Amiga.org (Amiga GP32 software) and someone found this. So i may as well post it up on here as well. :) Anyway, could someone possibly compile this for Amiga. PLEASE! :D

http://c128.org/gp32/gplink/

Regards,

Anyway, back on the subject. I was also thinking about trying this on an old Macintosh emulator, via Shapeshifter, but don't know any software that can do this or work on 68k Macs. Anyone? I think that doing it on the Amiga side would be better, more stable, etc. Is there GP32 software for Linux? (or Unix, not sure), as i think the Amiga is pretty similar to that, maybe that would work.
As the author of 99.99% of GP32 related Mac software & support I can say that installing a m68k based Mac emulator is just waste of time. The existing GP32 Mac stuff is OSX & PowerPC only and will continue on that track.

What comes to Linux PC-Link, that's libusb based and what I know of Amiga has no libusb port.

I could probably port my Mac based tools easily to Amiga if
1) I had USB Zorro card
2) Some real demand..
3) Some more spare time..

The case 1) is of course the real show stopper.. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to see that the amiga is still going strong I had no idea.I always prefered the amiga to pc but like so many others I moved reluctantly to pc after it all went pear shaped.(Business wise)

I cant believe that quake, wipeout 2097 etc exist on an amiga based system. Good luck to those who persevere with a system that was better but fell foul of price/compatabillity issues.

For those younger than me (I'm 32) I can remember when the Amiga was compared (often favourably) with the pc much like macs are.

However to my way of thinking the amiga was ahead in terms of pure usabillity.Also the amiga outsold both the megadrive(genesis) and snes(superfamicom) in Europe in it's heyday.

Although this may have had something to do with the ease of pirateing games compared to it's cartridge based peers. Since it sold lots of units but not many copys of any games.

Unfortunately the owners of amiga (commodore) had little share in the software sold compared to sega/nintendo/sony/xbox who charge a hefty licensing fee.This in conjunction with comparitivly long loading times on base a500/a500+/a600 units compared to cartridge based snes/megadrive units cost the company dearly.

Shame really since the star of the next generation was sonys playstation which also suffered load times from it's 2xcdrom which commodore had tried already on it's Amiga cd32 console.(the first 32 bit cd based games console)

Commodore was one of those companys that once you had owned one of their machines you would always buy the next generation machine.But somehow they always managed to be too far ahead in ideas and woefully behind in marketing to make a real success of any of their machines.

Talk remains to this day of various commodore chipsets resurected for various purposes including handhelds. But the amigas future died in reality with escom the last computer manufacturer to risk it's already fading reputation on the amiga name.Which by then had already started to fade.Sad but true.

I'm an ex-miggy guy too.

Had quite a good one:-

A1200T 060/PPC, 66mb ram, blah blah. - until I sold it for £600 and bought a PC (should have done it years ago... sigh)

Blew £550 on an 060/PPC accelerator to help my 3d gfx habit (my 030 was sloooooooooow) then I found out I could have bought a complete pc for that £550 that could render lightwave/c4d/imagine images 30-40x faster. From that day I hated my mig with a passion and sold it asap. bought a pc and never looked back :D

Back