Total Noob Took The Plunge And Needs Some Advice

davewhite

Still Fresh
Hi all,
1st post here, my GPX2 arrived and I have been tinkering with it for a day now. I am wanting to use it for emulation. mostly capcom and neo geo fighters of which I own. However I have hit a wall and need some help please.

Although I have been using MAME and that seems to work it's the cps2 and neo games I just cant get to run. I keep getting this message when I try to use CAPEX

upper memory full use only cache data
error unsupported cachefile
please rebuild cache file

Any help would be really appreciated as I am very green to this

Mame is great for many games, but not for neogeo nor cps2. There are dedicated emulators for these games that work great (gngeo and cps2emu) and fba2x is an emulator like mame but specialized exactly on that games.

- mame4all: runs neogeo and cps2 too slow. You NEED neogeo.zip in the roms directory to run neogeo games.
- gngeo+ragex: only Neogeo. Fastest, savegames but no raster effects nor several external joysticks. You NEED neogeo.zip AND unibios.zip UNZIPPED in the roms directory. Ragex is the graphical menu of gngeo.
- cps2emu+capex: only CPS2. Fastest, savegames, external joysticks. You may need to create cache files in your computer (this is the error that you're reporting). See the README, it is really easy. Keep in mind that cps2emu is the actual emulator and capex is only the graphical menu of cps2emu.
- fba2x+fbacapex: cps1, cps2 and neogeo. Much faster than Mame and nearly as fast as gngeo and cps2emu. You NEED neogeo.zip in the roms directory, but fba2x doesn't need cache files as cps2emu does. No savestates, but supports raster effects in neogeo and up to four external joysticks. I really advise checking fba2x for neogeo and cps2 games. Fbacapex is the graphical menu of fba2x.

juanvvc said:
Mame is great for many games, but not for neogeo nor cps2. There are dedicated emulators for these games that work great (gngeo and cps2emu) and fba2x is an emulator like mame but specialized exactly on that games.

- mame4all: runs neogeo and cps2 too slow. You NEED neogeo.zip in the roms directory to run neogeo games.
- gngeo+ragex: only Neogeo. Fastest, savegames but no raster effects nor several external joysticks. You NEED neogeo.zip AND unibios.zip UNZIPPED in the roms directory. Ragex is the graphical menu of gngeo.
- cps2emu+capex: only CPS2. Fastest, savegames, external joysticks. You may need to create cache files in your computer (this is the error that you're reporting). See the README, it is really easy. Keep in mind that cps2emu is the actual emulator and capex is only the graphical menu of cps2emu.
- fba2x+fbacapex: cps1, cps2 and neogeo. Much faster than Mame and nearly as fast as gngeo and cps2emu. You NEED neogeo.zip in the roms directory, but fba2x doesn't need cache files as cps2emu does. No savestates, but supports raster effects in neogeo and up to four external joysticks. I really advise checking fba2x for neogeo and cps2 games. Fbacapex is the graphical menu of fba2x.

Hi thanks for this, still a bit baffled but I will get there so thanks for your patience. When u say I need to place neogeo.zip and unibios.zip in the rom directory are they programs I need to find?

Last edited by a moderator:
PlopperZ said:
Yes, those are BIOS files.
Don't ask where to find them.

no problem, do I copy the whole thing zipped into roms or just the specific file after unzipping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave them zipped (I think; it's been a while since I did this)

EDIT: Just read the post below me :)

Neogeo.zip: unzipped in gngeo, zipped in mame2x, mame4all or fba2x. cps2emu is not a Neogeo emulator and does not use this file. Keep in mind that the last version of gngeo uses universal bios (unibios) as the default bios, and then you'll need to unzip unibios.zip in the roms directory (only gngeo)

ok things are clicking a bit finally I am getting somewhere.

I am still having no joy running neogeo games in fba2x do I make a seperate directory in the rom files for them?

Back