Too Much Vertical Space

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
With this 2nd redesign, many things take up two to three times as much vertical space as they did before. Example:

Is there any way to squish things back down a little?

At a resolution of 800x600 I agree, however that resolution counts for about 3% of users now, so is it worthy of spending time on?

Speaking of things being big: naw, I saw your post at the discussion cube and it had a resizable image on it. Did you use any image hosting service or the board dit it automatically?

Because my blog looks awful with images going out of the screen... :( And I tried editing the entry and it got screwed up.

gp2.eXe said:
Speaking of things being big: naw, I saw your post at the discussion cube and it had a resizable image on it. Did you use any image hosting service or the board dit it automatically?
This board resized images automatically. I'm not sure about now, after the latest update.

P.S. Within the actual threads, it's fine - not too much wasted vertical space there. It's just on the pages where it lists the topics. Also, in other respects, I like a lot of things about the redesign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
gp2.eXe said:
This board resized images automatically. I'm not sure about now, after the latest update.

P.S. Within the actual threads, it's fine - not too much wasted vertical space there. It's just on the pages where it lists the topics. Also, in other respects, I like a lot of things about the redesign.

Uhuh, I know it does resize them, but it dit it with the blog images too and now it's not doing it anymore. I guess it's not such a big deal since most people doesn't visit the forums blogs...

And there is some extra space being used because member's interests are also show.

Edit: Why did I say people doesn't visit the forums?

(naw)mcx said:
The pandora will come out one day. Also, many people use netbooks.
I have two netbooks myself, one of which was £99 from Tesco. They both support 1024x600 which is really the minimum standard for web pages these days. Devices on which the resolution is lower typically allow you to set a higher screen resolution than possible and then scroll around it, or alternativelly compress the page by using smaller fonts, etc. No doubt the Pandora will allow this too (and even then, will probably be about 1% of this sites traffic, if that).

Pandora browsing of this forum will be 1% BECAUSE of this theme. I read many boards, and they're all different and I'm fairly uncritical about them, but this theme is annoying me right from the start. On my screen the fonts are either massive or indecipherably small; the topic links in the new content page don't seem to list the pages in the threads anymore, and the scrolling is getting ridiculous.

Although, if all updated IPB boards end up looking like this, I expect a GreaseMonkey script will be out soon enough to fix the rotten thing.

pelrun said:
Pandora browsing of this forum will be 1% BECAUSE of this theme.
I really doubt that. If every one of the 4,000 pre-orders visited gp32x on there Pandora every day, thats still only 23% of the boards users, but most will simply use there PC to view the forums instead so it's more like to be < 1% as it'll be a "I've posted this message with my Pandora!" and then the interest will fade away.

pelrun said:
On my screen the fonts are either massive or indecipherably small; the topic links in the new content page don't seem to list the pages in the threads anymore, and the scrolling is getting ridiculous.
What browser are you using? It may be broken. I also don't see why you need the pages in the new content page, your only interested in new content, so it just shows those topics. It's incredibly rare that you'll want to read from page 1 again when someone adds a new post, hence the change. I'm not sure what you mean by the scrolling.

Squidge said:
What browser are you using? It may be broken. I also don't see why you need the pages in the new content page, your only interested in new content, so it just shows those topics. It's incredibly rare that you'll want to read from page 1 again when someone adds a new post, hence the change.

I often grab the new posts, and ignore some topics (either due to lack of interest or time constraints). Later, I may decide to read the topic - in which case, it would be nice to be able to jump to the start and catch up. The old forum let you do that by clicking the heading, or get to the new content using the orange block. None of that functionality has been retained.

And there's still too much wasted screen space. Just look at the "options" below when replying to a post - does it have to use that much space? I'm having to scroll down to find the "add reply" button!

D.

Your problem can be solved by clicking the message to jump to the last unread, and then pressing the home key. That'll then give you the option to choose your page number. Yes, it's slightly more work, but you are hardly going to use it on a daily basis.

Back