Too Many Firmwares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam, did you become an anti-GP2X zealot over night? The little bugger has A LOT of power under the hood, and has a lot of software to prove it. For all you know GPH won't ever produce anything at all. It's good to do with what you have, and that's not to say don't plan ahead, but don't be so ready to dismiss the present in favour of a future that may never be.

- Alex
Well I don't want to buy a PSP. And the GP2x will never be capable of PSX, even at half speed. It can't handle Native 3D well. Egoboo using GPU940, was far too choppy and slow and I have now given up entirely on the GP2x. Maybe my eyes process images at 90FPS for all I know, but Egoboo was obviously not managed even 10. It was terrible, Payback, that I like, but to put it in "English" "It ain't gonna get no better than that mate".

And so, GPH are obviously stupid fools, and thus without massive outside influence, As they don't even listen to their f'ing distributers, then they are not going to create a good next console. I'm not dismissing the GP2x, but it takes time to design a handheld, and GPH should really be starting R&D right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
All your complaints have something to do with 3D. The GP2X is 2D-oriented, and everyone knows that. It was never designed for 3D.

The fact that they don't seem to listen to distributors and the community anymore does anger me though.

- Alex

Im on about for the GP3x, what I mean is I wont to stop them making a big mistake with the next ones, most of the non 3d systems are emulatable on gp2x, the next incarnation HAS to be able to handle 3d, the the "PSP2" will be cracked adn the next GP will be dead compared to it.

You seem to dismiss the GP2X though. understand that the GP2X was never designed for PSX emulation or any kind of 3D software for that matter. It's a 2D handheld, and by the looks of it the last one of its kind :(

- Alex

I know its not for 3D, but it's terrible underpowered and has glaring flaws, that could of increased its potential so much. I am determined not to let GPH make the same mistake.

You seem to dismiss the GP2X though. understand that the GP2X was never designed for PSX emulation or any kind of 3D software for that matter. It's a 2D handheld, and by the looks of it the last one of its kind :(

- Alex
Actually it wasn't designed for games at all. :lol: It was designed as a portable media player-- and holy shit, what an awful media player. Honestly I don't blame it for 'not being powerful enough', I just have issue with the design flaws. A less powerful but more solid overall system, e.g. using a less flaky chipset, a decent method of directional control and a slightly more high quality overall fabrication would make a "superior" system even if the CPU was half the speed..

I know its not for 3D, but it's terrible underpowered and has glaring flaws, that could of increased its potential so much. I am determined not to let GPH make the same mistake.

UNDERPOWERED? Except for the lacking 3D features - it's as powerful as a PSP... :eek:

Maybe he was talking about GPH' mistakes, like the broken DMA, the lack of MMU, the ugly firmware...

By the way, what can still be repaired by firmware updates? What about the DMA? Boot time can (and has been) improved, MMU hack is a standart in many softwares, but what about the rest?

UNDERPOWERED? Except for the lacking 3D features - it's as powerful as a PSP... :eek:
I know that a 200-266mhz ARM9 may be roughly equivelent to a 8 bit mips at 333mhz in raw processing power, but the GP2x's blitter wasn't designed for games, this SoC from Magiceyes is a budget media player design, and the GP2x was engineered poorly as a budget media player.

ED, if you do manage to talk to them could you suggest they look at something such as the i.MX31 SoC for a successor? As its designed to be used for a media player and games, they can satisfy their media playing GPH needs, but also allow up to get PSX+ quality games on there even. Maybe more. Especially if it was only rendered at 320*240...

By the way, what can still be repaired by firmware updates? What about the DMA? Boot time can (and has been) improved, MMU hack is a standart in many softwares, but what about the rest?
I think the DMA is a hardware fault - it works for some things, but not SD access (or something like that) and mysteriously disappeared in a later datasheet apparently. Like you said, the boot time still isn't as low as it can be, but there comes a point where to get it any faster, you'd need a different approach entirely (maybe some kind of XIP setup would be feasible? I don't know exactly how this works but I assume it works on NAND, though not many filesystem support it).

The boot time on 2.0-2.1 is fantastic. As long as they don't increase it, I'm fine with the way it is right now.

- Alex

To be honest, I'm not interested in PSX emulation either - I bought the GP2X because my GBA SP died and I wanted my fix of handheld emulation. I happened to have the cash handy, so I bought one.

This thing is way more powerful that that old GBA, has a 4gb SD and a better screen. I /am/ interested in emulating the GBA so I can play my old games again, but it's not a priority.

What is the main priority for me is to learn C++ (I come from MASM/Delphi) and start porting games over from the Amiga. When I've done a few of those, I'll start to write my own original content.

What we have here is a machine that's capable of really doing some amazing things if people would just stop trying to run other systems' software and concentrate on creating some of its own. I went from wanting to emulate, to seeing that emulation is pretty easy on it, to wanting more original content.

If I don't find much (although there is a lot of it out there) then I'll make my own. Who needs PSX/CPS2 emulation?

Just my 2p.

i hate the bootscreen , i wish someone would find away to change it....its a pity someone could'nt find a way to chip/add a mod chip to the gp2x to make it better, like they mod the ps1\ps2\xbox to play import games ....some thing like a piggy back 3d proseeor ontop of the second processor ...if you can see what im trying to say....

edit to add fantasies

i hate the bootscreen , i wish someone would find away to change it....its a pity someone could'nt find a way to chip/add a mod chip to the gp2x to make it better, like they mod the ps1\ps2\xbox to play import games ....some thing like a piggy back 3d proseeor ontop of the second processor ...if you can see what im trying to say....

edit to add fantasies
Jesus christ, the mean value for the total worlds intelligence just halved when you made such a ridiculous post. You could of at least used the correct punctuation, or structured your post, even, slightly.

Jesus christ, the mean value of the world's total intelligence just halved when you made such a ridiculous post. You at least could have used the correct punctuation, or even structured your post slightly.

Couldn't resist. People who live in glass houses... etc.

You could at least have used decent grammar and correct punctuation (your comma usage is shocking).

:p

D.

My comma usage, around the even was gramatically correct.

I was referring to the mean value calculated based upon, not belonging to, the worlds total population. Hence "for" is correct, not "of".

My following statement was correct also.

Plus, I have been up many hous straight, it nearly 1AM, i'm doing exam shit.

Oh, And I know the difference between reality and imagination, unlike "fatdad".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back