Beta Tinyfugue - A Mud Client

streak

Website
www.openpandora.pl
whats this:

TinyFugue, aka "tf", is a flexible, screen-oriented MUD client, for use with any type of text MUD

WWW: http://tinyfugue.sourceforge.net/

Download: 4th Floor Development [in PND format]

how to start:

in tf type:
/telnet avalon-rpg.com
or
/telnet ishar.com

or other MUD link.. [your choice..]

to connect and play with thousands people online.

tinyfugueThunderdome.jpg

BTW. MUD games are the reason to have Pandora.. REALLY :)

Lol :)

I played MUME for awhile from Pandora ;) Long live muds/mushes/moo's/mucks/LPs/diku's/etc.

(I'm a diku-style fan myself)

jeff

Hi,

Thanks StreaK for your continuous porting effort, it's really appreciated :)

I never played a MUD game before so I want to give this one a go !

Unfortunately it crashes and returns to desktop if I enter something like "/telnet aardmud.org 23" :(

Output file reads as follows:
(terminal:3429): Terminal-DEBUG: D-Bus reply error: Name "org.xfce.Terminal4" does not exist (terminal-error-quark: 4)
Bye and thanks, Magic Sam

I had problems with xfce's terminal, too, when using it for the installation-routine of another pnd. While xterm ran fine, /usr/bin/terminal bitched around.

I solved it by using the "--disable-server"-parameter, which in some way disables the use of dbus. To be honest, I must say that I have no idea if there are some disadvantages in using this option. I just noticed that it runs that way and left it this way.

I've made a little test: adding a line to run.sh script -> export XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$pwd" -> creates: (terminal:3429): Terminal-DEBUG: D-Bus reply error: Name "org.xfce.Terminal4"

but when removing the line , everything works as expected [1st PND with TF uses this script and it works for me..]

I really think anybody who releases a PND that writes to NAND should put a warning in their announcing post. There isn't a lot of room in Pandora's NAND.

StreaK, do all of your programs write to NAND or only some? It's just that in the Pandorawiki software lists, I try to add a warning next to any program that writes to NAND. I'd really appreciate it if you could help.

Hi,
The new PND still crashes :(
[ START ]--- Starting the application (run.sh ) ----------
Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Bye, Magic Sam

Damn.. im stoned. I have no freakin idea why it just dont work on other OP's. I double checked and both works good.
Only once TF didnt work for me, when i was forced to format my sd card. After that TF works again. Maybe any of You could test it on freshly formatted SD card [if it's not the problem 4U to format SD]

StreaK said:
only last few progs/apps [2 or 3 (including this one)] uses nand [copies something on it].

I tried your Re-Doom, does that write to NAND? If so, it's getting deleted.

BTW. it copies only few kb's and after closing the app, it wipes the nand, so no worries.

Even that's totally inexcusable. NAND memory has a limit on writes the same way an SD Card does - the difference being that we can't replace the NAND when it's buggered. I know you've ported an awful lot of apps to the Pandora without really making any changes to suit the device, but surely this is one thing that shouldn't be skimped on?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
Even that's totally inexcusable. NAND memory has a limit on writes the same way an SD Card does - the difference being that we can't replace the NAND when it's buggered. I know you've ported an awful lot of apps to the Pandora without really making any changes to suit the device, but surely this is one thing that shouldn't be skimped on?

D.

You know Dunny, you dont need to play/use any of my compilations. Im doing stuff to fit my needs firstly, and if any of You think i "should" do it, better, hmm i can pass the code to You, to modify it by yourself. Its easy.

StreaK said:
Dunny said:

I'm not really into arguing, but let's get this out and see if I can't word it as (mostly) constructive criticism. Not intending to flame, but I do understand that some of this may sound peeved.

You know Dunny, you dont need to play/use any of my compilations. Im doing stuff to fit my needs firstly, and if any of You think i "should" do it, better, hmm i can pass the code to You, to modify it by yourself. Its easy.

Absolutely, you could yes. What I fail to understand is why you'd even bother to port something (and I suppose "port" is the incorrect word here, what you do is "compile and pack into a PND") if you're not going to take into account the fact that we're not running these things on a PC? It's happening so often - games that require the use of the ENTER key to start rather than the START button, games that don't use the face buttons for actions and leave it up to the user to remap them, games that require you press FN+Q to quit... And then things that require the use of NAND because the guy who's "ported" it can't be bothered to look through the code to find the offending parts and change them? You're not alone - Pickle built the Quake games without even trying to get the controls to work properly and there's a lot of others who have even taken their own games and made ARM builds which don't run on the Pandora correctly!

I recall seeing a quote from you a while ago - a goal stated as something like "got to fill up the repo's front page with my ports" as if the point was to be the guy who has ported the most apps and games... And then falling back to the old OSS nugget of "well, you could just do that yourself you know, it's open source" when questioned as to why they just build an ARM binary rather than actually put any effort in.

It's a shame - ReDoom is excellent (the best doom build so far) and shows enormous promise but it unfortunately suffers from the control issues above, and also might be one of the games which you allow to write to NAND, which is a finite non-replaceable resource.

I just don't understand why you'd do this - I myself spent a good week getting PandaBAS to use the Pandora's controls properly, and I'm still working on nub support. I'll not be porting anything else until this is done, and done well. If a job's worth doing...

Don't get me wrong, you're a talented guy and some of your ports are very, very good - but you just seem to be going for quantity over quality and that hurts the Pandora more than not having the apps in the first place. Maybe if you slowed down a bit and took more time you might be more of a "porter" rather than just a guy who chucks out ARM builds and moves onto the next project. DaveC (who I love to disagree with) coined the term "drive-by porting" and this is exactly what is happening.

D.

StreaK said:
You know Dunny, you dont need to play/use any of my compilations. Im doing stuff to fit my needs firstly,
And thank you very much for doing that. A lot of Pandora's software is quick ports, and a lot of it is still very useful and much better than nothing at all. I don't see anything wrong with so-called "drive-by porting"... so long as there is a clear warning to the user about potentially dangerous behaviour such as writing to the NAND.

Could you be so kind as to name which specific programs write to the NAND? I imagine this might be a potential problem for you as well; your NAND is wearing out just like ours.

games that require the use of the ENTER key to start rather than the START button
personally, I find Pandora's Enter key to be in a more comfortable spot to reach than its Start key, so I'll have to disagree about that one.

Thanks, Dunny. Looks like there's some work for me to do now, replacing the dead links on the wiki.

Okay, StreaK, hope you finish making your site soon. That Facebook wall is not the most user-friendly place; all organized in chronological order, not by app.

Maybe sebt3 would be willing to give some tips, if you need help? His site has a very user-friendly layout for his apps.

Ok, so I've spent a while updating the wiki lists, painstakingly going through the list of Streak's ported apps and cross-referencing them with any links posted on his Facebook page.

All in all, 29 apps and 4 games have been rendered inaccessible (as in, the only place where they were uploaded was the Repo).

The following apps have been removed: BabyPanda, BeeDiff, BFRunner, Chiffer, ClipGrab, Cobras IDE, CScreenie, DJView4, EasyPaint, Extreme Image Converter, ImageViewer, JED Editor, Joe Editor, LXTask, LXTerminal, MikMod Player, MooEdit, muCommander, Nagaina, NetFleet, qPSP Manager, QtCumber, qtFM, QtMindMap, Quicky, Repository News, XHTML WYSIWYG Editor, WeeChat, zNotes.

The following games have been removed: FairSeaBattle, HexGlass, Pairs, QCheckers

Let that be a lesson to everyone. Never, ever, ever, ever criticize a dev for whatever reason.

By the way, if anyone still has any of those apps on their computer, I'd appreciate it if you could upload them somewhere (for example, MediaFire.com) and post a link.

Esn said:
Let that be a lesson to everyone. Never, ever, ever, ever criticize a dev for whatever reason.
I disagree. Devs are no gods (well maybe notaz, ari and exo, but I digress)

Devs like any other person need to be told if he is wrong. If he cant handle critics, then just too bad.

Back