Release TinyFugue - for MUD lovers :) *BETA*

S

StreaK

whats this:

TinyFugue, aka "tf", is a flexible, screen-oriented MUD client, for use with any type of text MUD

WWW: http://tinyfugue.sourceforge.net/

Download: 4th Floor Development [in PND format]

how to start:

in tf type:

/telnet avalon-rpg.com

or

/telnet ishar.com

or other MUD link.. [your choice..]

to connect and play with thousands people online.

tinyfugueThunderdome.jpg

BTW. MUD games are the reason to have Pandora.. REALLY :)

Last edited:
When I typed /telnet redwall.realm.limitless.org 4203

and pressed 'enter' TF crashed.

Now when I try to run it I get this:

'Mounting the PND failed. The application wont start. Please have a look at /tmp/pndrun_tinyfugue-app.out'

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/32GB/pandora/menu/tinyfugue.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/32GB/pandora/appdata/tinyfugue-app

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : run.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/pnd/tinyfugue-app': File exists

Found a loop (/dev/loop3), using it

WARNING /dev/loop3 already mounted on /mnt/utmp/znotes-app /mnt/utmp/znotes-app /mnt/utmp/gpspwiz /mnt/utmp/gpspwiz /mnt/utmp/chromium /mnt/utmp/chromium skipping losetup - putting link to old mount

ln: target `/mnt/utmp/tinyfugue-app' is not a directory

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/32GB/pandora/appdata/tinyfugue-app=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/tinyfugue-app=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/tinyfugue-app"

/sbin/mount.aufs:mount.aufs.c:194: /mnt/utmp/tinyfugue-app: No such file or directory

WARNING : mount faild, re-tring

/sbin/mount.aufs:mount.aufs.c:194: /mnt/utmp/tinyfugue-app: No such file or directory

ERROR: The Union File-system is not mounted !

+++++++

Loopback devices :

/dev/loop0: [b301]:347 (/media/32GB_PRIME/pandora/menu/znotes.pnd)

/dev/loop1: [b311]:2588 (/media/32GB/pandora/menu/gpSP.pnd)

/dev/loop2: [b311]:2540 (/media/32GB/pandora/menu/Chromium.pnd)

/dev/loop3: [b311]:23876 (/media/32GB/pandora/menu/tinyfugue.pnd)

Are mounted on :

/dev/loop0 on /mnt/utmp/znotes-app type iso9660 (ro)

/dev/loop1 on /mnt/utmp/gpspwiz type squashfs (ro)

/dev/loop2 on /mnt/utmp/chromium type squashfs (ro)

For these Union :

none on /mnt/utmp/znotes-app type aufs (rw,si=61770977,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/gpspwiz type aufs (rw,si=616cb177,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/chromium type aufs (rw,si=66c51637,noplink)

ERROR: The Union File-system is not mounted !

+++++++

Loopback devices :

/dev/loop0: [b301]:347 (/media/32GB_PRIME/pandora/menu/znotes.pnd)

/dev/loop1: [b311]:2588 (/media/32GB/pandora/menu/gpSP.pnd)

/dev/loop2: [b311]:2540 (/media/32GB/pandora/menu/Chromium.pnd)

/dev/loop3: [b311]:23876 (/media/32GB/pandora/menu/tinyfugue.pnd)

Are mounted on :

/dev/loop0 on /mnt/utmp/znotes-app type iso9660 (ro)

/dev/loop1 on /mnt/utmp/gpspwiz type squashfs (ro)

/dev/loop2 on /mnt/utmp/chromium type squashfs (ro)

For these Union :

none on /mnt/utmp/znotes-app type aufs (rw,si=61770977,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/gpspwiz type aufs (rw,si=616cb177,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/chromium type aufs (rw,si=66c51637,noplink)

[ FAILED]--- Mount the PND ----------

Return code is : 8

EDIT: I restarted my Pandora and tried again. This time typing '/telnet ishar.com' and pressing enter. Crashed. This is what I got:

PND : /media/32GB/pandora/menu/tinyfugue.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/32GB/pandora/appdata/tinyfugue-app

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : run.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/pnd/tinyfugue-app': File exists

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/tinyfugue-app"

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/pnd/tinyfugue-app': Not a directory

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/32GB/pandora/appdata/tinyfugue-app=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/tinyfugue-app=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/tinyfugue-app"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (run.sh ) ----------

(terminal:1875): Terminal-DEBUG: D-Bus reply error: Name "org.xfce.Terminal4" does not exist (terminal-error-quark: 4)

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application (run.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/tinyfugue-app': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 3

Last edited by a moderator:
remove whole tinyfouge-app folder. Restart Pandora. start XFCE. Start WIFI [connect to internet] and try starting tinyfouge again.

remove whole tinyfouge-app folder. Restart Pandora. start XFCE. Start WIFI [connect to internet] and try starting tinyfouge again.

I've looked in:

/media/32GB/pandora/appdata/

/mnt/pnd/

/mnt/utmp/

And I can't find the tinyfugue-app folder anywhere!!? :( ... or any folder that looks like it relates to TinyFugue.

*sigh*

Running the PND... it crashes as soon as I hit 'Enter' no matter what I type, but trying to find the app folder immediately afterwards... It's like it doesn't exist! Or got created as i ran the PND then deleted itself as it crashed??? :unsure:

Please tell me how much free space is on Your NAND ?

86.4mb ... Should be plenty? :unsure:

EDIT: Has anyone else got TinyFugue to run? Am I the only one with problems? ... I'm really excited about this... Portable Mucking, anytime, anywhere... That has to be some kind of Divine gift. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes. You cant fool this app by adding export HOME='pwd', sorry. So it copies some stuff to nand before run, and after close TF, removes it.

BTW. What kind of HF are You using? [i tested TF on HF6 + LXDE].

I've just posted an alternative version of TinyFugue [that uses xterm] on my www page. Please check this one..

I've just posted an alternative version of TinyFugue [that uses xterm] on my www page. Please check this one..

Still writing to NAND? There's no way I'll be testing anything that touches NAND memory, sorry. That said, would love to get into the Discworld MUD again!

D.

Still writing to NAND? There's no way I'll be testing anything that touches NAND memory, sorry. That said, would love to get into the Discworld MUD again!

D.

What about running your OS from SD? Unless I'm mistaken (tell me if I am) then only the SD card would take the hit, and a 2-pack of 2Gb cards can be had for peanuts.

D.

Sorry to hear that, but there's no other way at the moment. You can still use simple telnet app to play MUD..

Is writing this little data to the NAND really that much of an issue?

It wouldn't be an issue if there was no way around it, but that's not the case - there's never a need to write to the NAND in this fashion. If it needed to modify an OS file then maybe, but again in a linux environment there's no excuse for messing with the OS. This apparently writes its own data to NAND and then deletes it later. So no. What's needed is to find the code that writes to NAND and redirect it at the source level - problem solved.

On a PC this wouldn't be an issue at all, but the problem here is this:

1. NAND has a finite number of write cycles available before it fails.

2. NAND on the Pandora cannot be replaced when it dies.

3. NAND should be for the OS files only - the OS likely writes to NAND when it boots (and certainly when you install a hotfix), and you don't really want to decrease the lifespan of the NAND every time you log into a MUD, so you?

Even if the lifespan could be measured in years, it's still not worth the risk when the power to fix the issue is available to the guy who compiled it.

D.

*bump*

Just got my Pandora back from St.Francis yesterday!

So after flashing to HF7 Alpha3, I thought I'd give TinyFugue another try.

And yep, crashes... So I imagine I somehow need to give it permission to write to NAND? (Of course I'd be thrilled if the writing to NAND issue had been solved by now, but it doesn't seem to have been AFAIK).

So how do I give it permission to create a folder?

*bump*

Just got my Pandora back from St.Francis yesterday!

So after flashing to HF7 Alpha3, I thought I'd give TinyFugue another try.

And yep, crashes... So I imagine I somehow need to give it permission to write to NAND? (Of course I'd be thrilled if the writing to NAND issue had been solved by now, but it doesn't seem to have been AFAIK).

So how do I give it permission to create a folder?

I have re-compiled TinyFugue for CLI Love. It works as charm in CLI Love. Check that out..

BTW. There we have a TinTin++ as well in CLI Love :)

Last edited:
^ Will do StreaK.

Thanks again... you are a living legend!

This is the first post I've made *from* my Pandora... USB Tethering is working a charm with HF7, going to attempt to download the whole file here... but should take a while as there is no 3G coverage in this area. Will report back tomorrow!

Back