timidity help

milkshake

Advanced Member
hi, i used sebt3's timidity midi installer with freepat install, and I also installed grusos timidity++ daemon but the system still doesnt seem to recognise that timidity is installed.

i tried

Code:
timidity --version
in the terminal but the terminal just spat out:

Code:
bash: command timidity not found

is there something im missing to get this working with games that use midi music?

why doesnt the temrinal suggest that timidity midi driver is not installed?

maybe it just doesnt work with hf7b1?

Hmm, sebt3's should be all you need to get MIDI music happening in supported games. What games are you trying it with? Have you had it working on a previous hotfix?

its for a game im porting, dont really wanna say which game cos its for the rebirth thing.

however I asked in the forums of the people that made the game and they said all that is needed is a mini driver like timidity and the music should work. (sound fx already work just not the midi music).

are there any other games that doo work with sebt3's installer and your daemon?

and do you know why the terminal doesnt respond to the temidity command?

midi driver*

Ok, short answer is that all you should need here is sebt3's installer. It contains no binary (hence no command line action); just sounds and the scripts to install them. After installing the sounds, you will have music in Doom, ROTT, the Zelda remakes, and probably a heap of others I can't remember. If it works for those games but not yours, the issue is somewhere in your code. I have just tested ROTT on HF7b1 with sebt3's sounds, and it sang sweetly.

Longer answer, which will be of no further help to your project but might provide some context. My release is a full Timidity binary, but not an installer, so it won't give you access to anything on the command line either. The daemon installer component should not be needed for a game; the purpose of that is just for MIDI software (including the MIDI file player also included in my PND) to (in effect) play the installed MIDI sounds as an instrument via ALSA. Why don't games handle MIDI this way? I dunno. :p [edit] Ninja-answered by the man himself.

Interestingly there do seem to be some issues at the moment. My Timidity PND does not appear to be working on this hotfix, and Seq24 (my MIDI sequencer port) crashes on trying to load a MIDI file. So some investigation needs to be done there, and I pray for a knight in quantised armour to swoop in and look at these issues because they're beyond me.

Don't let these issues cloud yours though; all you need to know for your game is in the first paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks sebt3 and gruso.

@sebt3 I don't suppose you could assist me by testing my port? Since U have a good grasp on timidity etc. If you can spare any tme that is, if so let me know I'll pm U the link to my port.

@sebt3 I don't suppose you could assist me by testing my port? Since U have a good grasp on timidity etc. If you can spare any tme that is, if so let me know I'll pm U the link to my port.
I havent had time to work on my own project since ... well too long. Sorry but I'll pass :(

Back