Ti Calc

just curious to see if anyone would like to take on the task of emulating a TI Calculators such as the 83/84 series and the 89/Voyager. Also, how difficult would this be, i read somewhere about the TI 84 using the same processor as the gameboy, i dont know is this is true

Depends if there's an existing linux emulator, but it should definitely be feasible computationally wise - there's no exotic or tricky to emulate hardware in them at all.

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 27 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
the games are fun =]
Yes, my mom still wants the game "bagels" that she used to play on my dad's TI calc. That stupid thing must have cost $1000, and it had 4 expansion slots in the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
TI-85, 86 would be relatively simple to emulate. They use a z80 CPU and something like 12 IO ports for memory banking, keypad input, etc. You'd need to get a ROM from a working calc, and the input would suck (although many games only used a handful of buttons anyway). Might be tricky to get grayscale to work.

TI-82, 83, iirc had a more complicated display controller, but nothing crazy like SNES, PSX.

I don't really know about the 68k-based ones or the ones with flash.

I wouldn't mind seeing one either. The DS has a TI emu out.. If we truly want the 2x to be an all in one it needs a calculator damnit.

rabidcow posted on Jul 29 2006 at 04:17 AM said:
TI-85, 86 would be relatively simple to emulate. They use a z80 CPU and something like 12 IO ports for memory banking, keypad input, etc. You'd need to get a ROM from a working calc, and the input would suck (although many games only used a handful of buttons anyway). Might be tricky to get grayscale to work.

TI-82, 83, iirc had a more complicated display controller, but nothing crazy like SNES, PSX.

I don't really know about the 68k-based ones or the ones with flash.
you're missing out the TI-84... to which category belongs that?

The 84 was nothing more than a bloated and improved (at points) as well as a redesigned 83plus.

I don't know about a quick port, but I'm game for making my own Ti emu - it'll make a refreshing change :)

Now, which Z80 emu source should I steal :D (I plan on doing the Ti-86)

Oh yes, and a nice rom...

Squidge posted on Jul 29 2006 at 10:21 AM said:
I don't know about a quick port, but I'm game for making my own Ti emu - it'll make a refreshing change :)

Alright! We got Squidge on the project!

Squidge posted on Jul 29 2006 at 05:21 PM said:

"Virtual TI" has sourcecode out there. It emulates most (all?) TI calculators. I've only used it for the TI83, but that worked great. Not sure how portable the code is. (The Z80 emulation code looks pretty clean)

(If you cannot find the source, PM me and I'll send it over)

Loubear posted on Jul 27 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
Why would you want to emulate a calculator? Would be a pain in the ass to input anything too...
Are you an idiot, do you not see how useful a calculator emulator would be? Instead of having to buy the GP2X and a $100 calculator, you just have to get the GP2X. If a calculator was ported/made on the GP2X, I, JaqMs, will get a GP2X.

JaqMs posted on Jul 29 2006 at 12:06 PM said:
Loubear posted on Jul 27 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
Why would you want to emulate a calculator? Would be a pain in the ass to input anything too...
Are you an idiot, do you not see how useful a calculator emulator would be? Instead of having to buy the GP2X and a $100 calculator, you just have to get the GP2X. If a calculator was ported/made on the GP2X, I, JaqMs, will get a GP2X.

And that just convinced me to un-ignore you. Congratulations!

Exactly, I need a good extensive calculator for my classes but I'd rather have it on a multimedia handheld then spending big bucks on a real one. :)

Well.. You'll need a USB keyboard thing though, since operating a calculator on the GP2x is likely going to be pretty damn slow... :p

I'm more interested in the games, though.. TI-84 and TI-83 should at least be supported, as they seem most common (at least around here) with most of us...

JaqMs posted on Jul 29 2006 at 06:06 PM said:
But you need to own the $100 calculator in order to legally use the BIOS, required by the emulator....

;)

Back