Thr GP32 Screen

OldSchoolGamer

Still Fresh
;) I get the impression the GP32 Gamescreen is like the GBA screen (IE:not backlit) which I assume means it cannot be played in the dark. In comparison to the GBA original model how dark is the screen? Is it most useable in an average lit room? How does it appear in direct sunlight? What is anyones experience with viewing the GP32 screen?
Thanks!

The brightness of the screen itself is about the same as the GBA... however, the plastic in front of the screen is a LOT less reflective (bright lights reflect only red instead of the whole white light) and most emulators have gamma correction to help brightness aswell.

ARGH!!!!
Actually this is my biggest problem with the GP32!!!
I can NEVER manage to see anything on it... well, actually, I CAN, but only if the screen is directly facing a light.
I gotta say though, that actually is my biggest problem with it...

Really? I'm surprised. Personally, I found that I can play quite few emus in near-total darkness if I've got the gamma turned up (near total darkness being a dim street-lamp). I play with a light most of the time, but it IS doable, especially on SMS32 and gpSCUMMVM.

I agree. I got a white neon tube light above me here, and when I look at it in the GP32, it's a dark purple. Playing in absolute darkness is a problem, but with any light at all, it's fairly good. Most emulators have gamma settings, so if it's too dark or too bright, change it! It actually helps I find if you're playing in a low light place to turn the gamma up a bit...I've tried it in my local arcade and an underground carpark (no, I wasn't doing anything illegal, unless if GP32 is illegal!). Excellent results in both.

Yes, I was also suprised to hear someone complain about the screen.

Maybe new GP32's have a different display to the older ones? Companies do change components sometimes.

I get different results with different lights, but 90% of the time it's easy to see whats on the screen. It's definatly a lot better than the GBA screen, that's for sure. I played on my friends GBA not too long ago and even when I had the main light on in the room I found it very difficult to see the screen properly.

I tried playing it on the train yesterday, still perfectly visible (whereas a GBA isn't). Only thing is, at my friend's house, it was pretty hard to see if I didn't sit upright (cos' I was bored I didn't want to!). It's better than the GBA screen, but it's still not backlit...so if someone REALLY wants a backlit screen, then they aren't going to be satisfied anyway...

Back