Thinking Of Selling Up - Talk Me Out Of It?

If you're thinking of selling, wait for the two competitions to end. Granted, it'll be a little while, but I think that at that point, you'll be seeing some awfully good stuff on the GP2X.

There's a lot of stuff that's very promising coming out, you just have to be patient. It takes time to build up a good base of games for a system like the GP2X.

Just sell it. Whats the point in asking other people to make your mind up. Modern society is so lazy these days. Get yourself booked on a crappy daytime show like jerry springer or Trisha!

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but fuck me!

semyaza posted on Jul 27 2006 at 12:33 AM said:
Just sell it. Whats the point in asking other people to make your mind up. Modern society is so lazy these days. Get yourself booked on a crappy daytime show like jerry springer or Trisha!

Could you summarise your post for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well (new GP32X user here) I think the GP32X shouldnt be compared to a PSP/DS/etc, other then there all handhelds. I think alot of people see all the GP32X can do and "assume" there are also Store bought games (and, yes there are, but in very small numbers).

The GP32X is more of handheld "do-all" then a handheld game system. I cant see calling it a Game system, its seems so limiting with all its abilities and with what could possible be in its future. I would guess (myslef included) use it primarily as a game system, but thats not what i would call it. I can understand some people buying it and seeing nintendogs or some of those other gee-whiz games and then not seeing anything like them on the GP possibly lossing interest. The consoles and handhelds are game of the moment type machines. The Gameboy was a big hit, but you have to remeber alot of the sales where for Pokeman blue, red,gold etc.. the Handheld game system market is very different then the one that the GP is creating. Its almost hard to believe 99% of the stuff for this system is free.

I guess what Im trying to say is the person who buys a PSP or DS just really isnt the same person who buys a GP. I also own a PSP and about 8 games for it, but have played all 8 less then I have played BLACK TIGER in mame on teh GP. I'm also the guy who has a 360, PS2, Xbox, DC, with at least 20-30 games for each but play the EMU discs (on the X-Box) more then any of the other games. I love games, but its been a long time since slick graphics impressed me. I grew up with the blocks of Space Invaders, the almost onrecognizable Atari 2600 graphics, the funny stick men of Mattle Intelivison sports games. I grew up when the FUN factor far outwieghed the "look" of the game. Now dont get me wrong, a great looking game can be (and often is) fun. But nowdays it seems the physics engine, the way a window breaks, how the blood spurts, how many "adult" words you can say all comes before the actual gameplay (of the the next 50 games comming out for the 360 40 are FPS, how stagnent is that?). I think a simple and easy example of this is Vektar, the graphics are slick the gameplay is fast, and it all "works" to creat a FUN game to play. But I doubt you would have ever seen this on a PSP or DS, its just not there type of game.

I dont think someobdy selling it becuase he doesnt play it is a bad thing, he just likes a differnt type of game. the DS is a pretty cool machine to and of all the game console makers Nintendo is about the only one who understands FUN still (That game where you play pinball with armies is pretty original thinking).

sorry for my long, rambling, where is the point post. I jus think the GP user and the other handheld users are a different.

Clok

semyaza posted on Jul 26 2006 at 04:33 PM said:
*fucks Semyaza* Take it, bitch! Take it!

And to clok: I mostly agree with your post. It's called a GP2X, though. GP32X is just the name of this site.

AcidiC posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:58 AM said:

I think I can, look!
On a serious note though, even if you don't use it much I don't think you should sell it unless you really need the money. With the competitions coming closer, and the possibility of a playable PSX emulator, I'm sure there's a lot more the GP2X can offer that we haven't seen yet.

clok posted on Jul 26 2006 at 09:34 AM said:
Well (new GP32X user here) I think the GP32X shouldnt be compared to a PSP/DS/etc, other then there all handhelds. I think alot of people see all the GP32X can do and "assume" there are also Store bought games (and, yes there are, but in very small numbers).

The GP32X is more of handheld "do-all" then a handheld game system. I cant see calling it a Game system, its seems so limiting with all its abilities and with what could possible be in its future. I would guess (myslef included) use it primarily as a game system, but thats not what i would call it. I can understand some people buying it and seeing nintendogs or some of those other gee-whiz games and then not seeing anything like them on the GP possibly lossing interest. The consoles and handhelds are game of the moment type machines. The Gameboy was a big hit, but you have to remeber alot of the sales where for Pokeman blue, red,gold etc.. the Handheld game system market is very different then the one that the GP is creating. Its almost hard to believe 99% of the stuff for this system is free.

I guess what Im trying to say is the person who buys a PSP or DS just really isnt the same person who buys a GP. I also own a PSP and about 8 games for it, but have played all 8 less then I have played BLACK TIGER in mame on teh GP. I'm also the guy who has a 360, PS2, Xbox, DC, with at least 20-30 games for each but play the EMU discs (on the X-Box) more then any of the other games. I love games, but its been a long time since slick graphics impressed me. I grew up with the blocks of Space Invaders, the almost onrecognizable Atari 2600 graphics, the funny stick men of Mattle Intelivison sports games. I grew up when the FUN factor far outwieghed the "look" of the game. Now dont get me wrong, a great looking game can be (and often is) fun. But nowdays it seems the physics engine, the way a window breaks, how the blood spurts, how many "adult" words you can say all comes before the actual gameplay (of the the next 50 games comming out for the 360 40 are FPS, how stagnent is that?). I think a simple and easy example of this is Vektar, the graphics are slick the gameplay is fast, and it all "works" to creat a FUN game to play. But I doubt you would have ever seen this on a PSP or DS, its just not there type of game.

I dont think someobdy selling it becuase he doesnt play it is a bad thing, he just likes a differnt type of game. the DS is a pretty cool machine to and of all the game console makers Nintendo is about the only one who understands FUN still (That game where you play pinball with armies is pretty original thinking).

sorry for my long, rambling, where is the point post. I jus think the GP user and the other handheld users are a different.

Clok
no offence, but it isn't called a gp32x... :) there is the GP32 and the GP2x.. ;)

cwncool posted on Jul 26 2006 at 12:26 PM said:
clok posted on Jul 26 2006 at 09:34 AM said:

Clok
no offence, but it isn't called a gp32x... :) there is the GP32 and the GP2x.. ;)

Heheh I did mention im a new GP2X user/owner :) I havent got the name set in stone yet in my brain... (ask me some totally useless trivia and i can remeber that). GP2X! At least you gave me some slack on my terrible grammer and spelling abilities.

:)

Clok

We all were new users at one time (remembers his first post asking if wonderswan emulation was possible back in November). Strangely though, the place seems alot worse then when I joined. I think all the advertising is bringing in the idiots that were previously kept blissfully unaware.

Anyway, unless you absolutely need the money, you shouldn't sell it. Simple laws of console ownership.

clok posted on Jul 26 2006 at 04:34 PM said:
. I grew up when the FUN factor far outwieghed the "look" of the game. Now dont get me wrong, a great looking game can be (and often is) fun. But nowdays it seems the physics engine, the way a window breaks, how the blood spurts, how many "adult" words you can say all comes before the actual gameplay (of the the next 50 games comming out for the 360 40 are FPS, how stagnent is that?).
Clok

Well when you are making 3D games the first person view is very popular because it immerses you in the game like "you are there" Saying that they are "stagnant" isn't really accurate. Just because they are played from the same viewpoint doesn't make them all the same game wise. Halo, Oblivion, and Condemned are all very different even though they are first person. Saying that "FPS" are all stagnant is like saying Megadrive, SNES, PC-Engine games are stagnant because they are mostly all 2D side scrollers.

FFNoir posted on Jul 26 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
We all were new users at one time (remembers his first post asking if wonderswan emulation was possible back in November). Strangely though, the place seems alot worse then when I joined. I think all the advertising is bringing in the idiots that were previously kept blissfully unaware.

Anyway, unless you absolutely need the money, you shouldn't sell it. Simple laws of console ownership.
I agree, until recently I never felt the need to use the "ignore" feature, and now I have used it on a few users. On topic, owen-b, I don't really care if you sell it or not as you don't contribute anything to the community, no offense. :)

hmm.

I recall helping this person through PMs, answering all retarded questions that could have been answered from simply searching. We exchanged a bunch of PMs, and I was very patient, never got angry or sarcastic.

When all of his questions had been answered, I kindly asked him to use my affiliate link to order his 2x.

I got no response back.

I wouldnt have minded if the asshole bothered to PM me back, providing a reason why he didnt use my link after all my help, but the fact is, he didnt even have the decency to respond.

Sell it for all I give a shit :angry:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:10 PM said:
hmm.

I recall helping this person through PMs, answering all retarded questions that could have been answered from simply searching. We exchanged a bunch of PMs, and I was very patient, never got angry or sarcastic.

When all of his questions had been answered, I kindly asked him to use my affiliate link to order his 2x.

I got no response back.

I wouldnt have minded if the asshole bothered to PM me back, providing a reason why he didnt use my link after all my help, but the fact is, he didnt even have the decency to respond.

Sell it for all I give a shit :angry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're well on your way to becoming a Cranky Old Man Gamer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like the person bought their GP2X for the wrong reasons.

For me, and possibly most other people, GP2X is all about emulators, homebrew and personal media player (in that order).

If you don't play it, then it might be sensible to get rid of it.

That said, I don't play mine a great deal at the moment, but I'm still keeping hold - for two reasons. Firstly, because sometimes something amazingly cool *is* relreased, and if I gave it up, then I wouldn't get to see it running in my hands.

And secondly, holidays and long journeys. Where I definitely do play it. Extensively.

If you need to ask a question like that in the first place owen-b you definitely have the wrong machine, so, sell it, and be like all the other normal people out there, having a GP2X and knowing how to use it and code for it is for a very select group of people B) .

Having said this, I'll get back to my coding, I enjoy it :lol:

Paulo Becker posted on Jul 26 2006 at 06:07 PM said:
AcidiC posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:58 AM said:

I think I can, look!
On a serious note though, even if you don't use it much I don't think you should sell it unless you really need the money. With the competitions coming closer, and the possibility of a playable PSX emulator, I'm sure there's a lot more the GP2X can offer that we haven't seen yet.

OK. Fuck me and sell it then you get two for one.

If you need to discuss if you should sell a console in a forum then why not take it further and discuss it on a tv show. You might even get sponsored by sony.

I can't believe this thread is still going and has so many replies. Why is it this community's job to stop someone selling his own property? You should make a decision and face the consequences. Any response will be purely subjective, not everyone likes the same things.

But if you sell ...
... you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

or maybe not :)

Anyway, can the community tell me if I should put on blue or green socks today?

Back