Thinking of buying, would like your advice

/>
Hello i am also new here, and i want to buy a Pandora but i read and saw on youtube that some left triggers not work probably.

gr
That's an old problem, now solved.

If you did encounter that, or a similar problem then it would be fixed free of charge under warranty if you bought a new Pandora from an official supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like everything it depends on the game being played.. Some games requiring mid to high level Pentium systems will be sluggish.. But hell I've had some games run sluggish on my 8 core I7 desktop with dosbox....   The 1Ghz does make some games that was unplayable on an older model playable.

There is no clear and visible line, it depends on what performance the games themselves require.. 

Some DOS games that came out in the Windows 95/ Pentium era work fine.. Some don't..

Qemu with a windows 95 install on it can get things like Diablo II semi-playable since it's a 2D game.. but things like Blood which had lower system requirements than D2 is only barely playable in qemu or DOSBOX.. Best thing to do is play and see what works.. It's 3/4 of the fun IMO.

Hi there,

Just bringing my 2 cents.

I had a classic Pandora until a few months ago. I used it mostly for playing since it was IMO not really good at email/web browsing (not enough memory). I have been digging Android chinese consoles for 1 year and a half, to the point where I found that Android apps for email, web browsing an video were better than classic Linux softs available on the Pandora. Also the quality of emulators on Android has increased to the point of being as good (and in some cases better, like N64) as on the Pandora. There are even cross-ports (Robert Broglias's emu, the .emu series, and also RetroArch that ships PCSX Rearmed). Since the hardware was getting pretty slow, I ended up selling this unit. It was a tough choice, though.

So far I am pretty happy with my Android devices, but to be honest I had to tweak them software wise to get what I wanted from them, and I mean a LOT more tweaks than I ever had to do on the Pandora. And since the chinese brands are always releasing some new model it's sometimes disappointing that you buy a unit and one week later something better is released. While some native Android games are really cool, I don't play them so much. Also a couple of emulators are not as good: Sega CD is not well supported for instance. Also all these devices always have some flaw, the biggest one being generally bad battery life (3h average). Generally they are good for the price, but the Pandora feels more mature and stable, by far. Though all that tweaking was sort of fun, and I did learn a lot about the OS, I'm also a family guy and I probably shouldn't waste much more time on tweaking stuff, but rather play and relax.

Now I can honestly tell that I regret having sold my Pandora. I'm a professional developer, and though I like Android a lot, I miss the linux-desktop-in-my-pocket that the Pandora is. Also Android apps are uptaded very often, and though it might seem a good thing, I end up spending way too much time upgrading the 4 Android devices I own (phone, tablet, and 2 consoles 5 and 7 inchers). I also miss a lot the keyboard, the great battery and most of all, the storage. I can't have my full rom/games collection on any Android console, while I can on the Pandora. And the ton of free software on it, and the Linux-purist feeling of the repo.

Now I see that Android runs on the Pandora and that some great ports like the Jedi Knight games have landed. Also I see that a bunch of apps (and especially music apps like Audacity or SunVox) are either unavailable of not free on Android.

Yep I kind of miss my Pandora. And I am very very veeeery tempted to get a 1Ghz unit... especially since they are back on stock on DragonBox.

Oh, and just checked out the current state of Android on the Pandora, and told myself another "Wow".

I'd be able to get back some great Android games (the Hyperdevbox titles ported from PSP, the Chaos Rings series and a couple of others) along with the usual SuperZaxxon goodness. All that with a big battery life an huge local storage. No more 2-3 devices to tweak/upgrade, everything on the Pandy... the best of both worlds.

And remembered and double-checked that I had carefully backed up all my Pandy SD data and PNDs.

Time to find some spare money I guess.

so how awesome is the pandora then?

the other day i was at my brother's place. hes not exactly the most tech-proof person i know and he surprised me: hes been "getting into" linux lately and he bought himself a rasp-pi (the sucker!!). as i walked in he was just about to copy the os on a sd-card to boot and configure. all of a sudden his pc went fubar.

with a smile on my face i got my pandora out of my pocket and was like: "dude, chill... ive got it covered."

downloaded the disk image (ive got great onboard wifi with my pandora), dd'ed it on the sd in notime AND played tekken 3 in between. also did some ssh administration afterwards.

thats how awesome the pandora is!

everybody will have to decide for themselves if the device can be of any use for them (or if its worth the money). but restricting the pandora to do emulation/arcade stuff only just doesnt seem right. it does so much more and it does it so well.

I have owned 5 Pandoras... 3 1st batch models and 2 1gig models.

Currently I own one bought from Link.

All the others I owned I sold. They all developed cracks and chipping and were treated with kids gloves as they say.

Fortunately and knock on wood the one I own now is in impeccable condition.

I hope you get lucky the first go round but thought you should be forewarned.  ;)

Last edited:
I own only one 1GHz pandora, some paint have been chipped away from transport and use, the battery door has developed a crack around one tab.

But the whole thing is working perfectly, is keeping its "structural integrity" even if I'm not treating it nicely and carefully :D

It is about as stable as on the classic and rebirth editions: some people have consistently great wifi and some have poor. No one knows why.

Back