Think I My Gp2x Is Bricked

Animotion

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Ok here the details

Had arts uboot with open2x filesystem.

Downloaded new firmware 2.0 to try put files on a kingston elite pro 512MB formatted for fat32. Wouldn't update pressed start and select and picked update firmware on art uboot menu.

Greenbar it did some loading and i think it updated something :blink: comes up with green screen firmware 2.0
stays on that screen for ages. I wait and then wait some ages more, still green screen. I turn off Back on start+select choose update again.

Screen now says updating firmware again stays on that screen for like 5 mins. I turn it off.

Only now when i turn it on again the screens white and many muilticoloured vertical bars show. No black screen no nothing, start and select nothing. I notice that there is a new boot.img on there with rest of 2.0 files. is is possible art uboot was overwritten or something?

I've searched forums and read about this jtag stuff umm really out of my league with this stuff what are my options? Can I buy the cable from someone from this board, is it easy to use? or send it back to http://www.gbax.com/

Further more what caused this? bad sd card? I have done updates with my integral 1gig in past i'm thinking this might be the cause?

Has my gp2x gone to silicon heaven? :huh:

There's no such place as silicon heaven. (But where do all the calculators go?)

It does indeed sound like you have bricked you GP2X... You should have left it longer after you got the green FW 2 screen... it takes quite a while (I just left it to it and got on with some work...)

I suggest you do a search for the Debricking guide...

I hope I'm not in the same boat here... as of now I was attempting a 2.0 firmware upgrade and right now it's on the Green screen and has been for almost 5 minutes. I don't want to turn it off and brick the system. Is it normal to be waiting this long at this point?

The vertical lines probably mean your batteries died during upgrade. This could cause bricking (you should have used a fresh set of batteries).

Upgrading from 1.4 to 2.0 gives a green screen which just stays there. Reboot holding Select+Start together to activate the upgrade sequence again. (as stated in the GP2x guide for 2.0 by GuyFawkes).

Try this with a fully recharged set of batteries, if it fails, you probably have bricked the GP2x; or you might be lucky and it revives.

I really hope that niether of you have bricked your Gp2X's. Over at GP32Spain, they told me that unless your batteries died during the flash that you can't brick it (which doesn't seem to be the case for either of you) it just won't upgrade, so it looks like there is hope. If they aren't doing anything anyways, I'd just erase all the upgrade files (I hope that you have card readers) and try it again. Good luck to both of you, H.G.

The batteries were freshly charged, are uniross 2300mah rechargeables, i used these for open2x flash and worked fine. Again it seemed like an awful long time that i was waiting maybe i turned off 2 soon. (there really should be a process indicator or something to let you know of the progress.)

I've checked the unbrick guide. And i'm not getting the black gp2x screen i guess uboot is funked? ;( I've tried puttin the files on my itegral 1 gig on usb stick and it's not detecting or anything just the lovely muilti coloured wallpaper :(

thanks for ur replys.

WHEW, it's all ok, I deleted all the files from the SD card and retried and it worked and was successful. Thank god. Thanks for the help too guys.

I have a question, can I delete the files on the SD card for 2.0 firmware? I'm assuming the sound file is needed for the opening sound, but other then that, do I need to keep them?

Sonistar posted on May 1 2006 at 08:19 PM said:
i think hes away to cry, sounds pretty much like its buggered.

I shure hope not, I hate to see someone loose something that cost so much. Dude if you are still out there give us a HA-LA, H.G.

Last edited by a moderator:
hired gun posted on May 1 2006 at 10:59 PM said:
Sonistar posted on May 1 2006 at 08:19 PM said:
i think hes away to cry, sounds pretty much like its buggered.

I shure hope not, I hate to see someone loose something that cost so much. Dude if you are still out there give us a HA-LA, H.G.

unfortunatly it looks like it's bricked :( umm help :blink: hehe :) would it be easy to use one 0f them jtag cables? personally now that its bricked i'd like to try and unbrick it i don't really know about making the cables i need a wiggler capitable jtag????

^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Back