Bricked my gp2x (f100)

david_etherton

Still Fresh
Okay, yes, I'm a moron. I was on the fence about ordering a Pandora, since I bought a GP2X several years ago when it first came out and never really did much with it. Much of that is because I really hated the joystick and found it difficult to use.

So I decided I should get it running again with the latest firmware before making my final decision.

After making sure its 2.0.0 firmware was running fine, I put the 4.0.1 patch onto a 16M SD card, booted it up, and watched it immediately start applying a patch and get stuck in a weird loop where it claimed to be trying a USB connection and some other status screen.

After a few minutes of this, I cycled power. I got the black screen (UBoot) then the green 2.0.0 kernel loading screen, and it stays stuck on that forever.

I quickly figured out what I did wrong -- I'd installed the 4.0.1 patch WITHOUT properly upgrading to the full 4.0.0 first. Dumbass.

Any idea how I can recover from this? I googled and found some old threads and websites on the topic, but they all seemed from the pre-2.0 days, and nothing I tried would work.

I've tried flashing to 4.0 and 2.0 again, but it seems like it won't read the flash card or something. I don't have any magic TTY cables so it's hard to tell what's going on here (I really hope Pandora lets you see what's going on under the hood without special cables).

[And yes, I did pre-order a Pandora after all]

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

Duh. After poking around some more (reading the docs to a nand reset utility in particular) I realized you have to hold down Start+Select while it's booting before it will recognize the new kernel on the flash card. I'd been confused because the 4.1 patch I'd accidentally applied had a gpx2update.gpu file that did autorun on its own.

-Dave

etherton said:
Duh. After poking around some more (reading the docs to a nand reset utility in particular) I realized you have to hold down Start+Select while it's booting before it will recognize the new kernel on the flash card. I'd been confused because the 4.1 patch I'd accidentally applied had a gpx2update.gpu file that did autorun on its own.

-Dave

So were you able to recover your machine?

Chris

Back