Theres A Present For Whoever Ports This 1st

kaygroth

Still Fresh
OK what I would like if one of you dudes can make is possable is to convert this rather funky currently DOS MP3 player to run on the GP2X, DOSBOX on the PC runs it no problem but of course wont on the GP2X and it doesnt have the grunt. However im guessing a native ver might, the source it at http://mpxplay.cjb.net/

I am will to donate a prize to whoever does it. But im just seeing if its possable at teh mo

What does this do that the music players we already have don't? If the answer is 'nothing really' then you're unlikely to find someone willing to port something that won't be used. Maybe you should explain why this particular app is so good to encourage people to port it.

woogal said:
What does this do that the music players we already have don't? If the answer is 'nothing really' then you're unlikely to find someone willing to port something that won't be used. Maybe you should explain why this particular app is so good to encourage people to port it.

fair do's.

My plan is to use my gp2x and the cradle as a in-car mp3 rig. i have tried every media player for the GP2X and there nothing that is sutable to be displayed on a 7" LCD screen (the input is video input is RCA so lacks sharpness) GMU is the closest i have come to finding somthing (and its is very good), but the tv out for this dont work to well. Plus it takes about 3 sec to add 1 folder with 57 files in it to the playlist, as this is going to be effectiivaly my in-car jukebox i would need to add all my music to a playlist, thats 3378 tracks, to save you that math thats approx 3 mins to add the tracks to the playlist (which u have to do everytime, yes i knwo there a setting remember playlist, it never worked for me)

However not only is MPXPLAY very clean looking, the amount of options it give you is cracking. So i could (once converted) make shell scripts to load from playlist. Ill grant you that features wise it dont offer much, but in terms of useablity and expandablity it offers so much more. Download it and have a scan at teh README, look at teh amount of useful switches :eek: :D :eek:

Also it doesnt have any fancy GUI-ish effects of anything so speed shouldnt be a issue

Personnely i wont be doing this next bit but there are tons of people who have (example). Using this player (with options) to displays names and song info to grey-LCD panels, a task which the GP2X with its small size is perfect to do.

So as far as i can see it this will serve very good in my chosen purpose, unless you can get MythTV to work with GP2X :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I made Craigamp to be an in car mp3 player. Why does it not meet your needs?

its nice and a good job, i do use it when on train etc. however when on tv cant read anything much bar the song title. Ill take a pic today and show you what i mean

ok, as promised here is the pics of various music apps on my 7" car display. as you can see reading things is a bit of a task. I have had laptops running media center and MythTV on it fine. Scaling is part of the issue yes, but font size is prob a bigger problem.

Warning, pictures are huge, 56kers stay away

CraigAMP 1
CraigAMP 2
CraigAMP 3

GMU 1
GMU 2

Oldplay

craigix said:
What would be your perfect in car layout for the screen?

Just a giant song name and the artwork?
yeah more or less, k heres a scetch of what i think would work best.
carplan.jpg

oh yeah, can you tell me if CraigAMP would work with a USB keyboard and trackpad?

Thanks for you help with all this btw, mucho appreciated

quartercast said:
Eeek! A naked GP2X, a naked GP2X! :eek:
Yeah a stick without a cap is way too rude.
Remember children visit these boards!

Miika said:
quartercast said:

oh i know where the cap is.......somewhere in Ethiopia...i just dont know which bit.

P.S...if anybody ask me to dress up my GP2X in a nurses uniform.....NO! B)

kaygroth said:
Miika said:
quartercast said:

oh i know where the cap is.......somewhere in Ethiopia...i just dont know which bit.

Pretty please? Pretty pleas with whipped cream on top?

xnopasaranx said:
kaygroth said:
Miika said:
quartercast said:

Pretty please? Pretty pleas with whipped cream on top?

ok, but you get 20 mins with it and no hitting ;)

Wow this is a really good idea!
How is it wired up? Where does the power supply come from? 12v battery? I may consider doing this myself.

I would need (obviously :rolleyes: ) a dvd tft monitor, a tv-out cable and some way to power the 2x. is that all?

ok this get complicated to keep with me...

2 in car adaptors connect to a dual lighter socket adaptor, cables hidden under dashboard

my headunit as aux in so phonos go to cradle phonos, cables hidden under dashboard

s-video output into RCA adaptor into dvdunit, cables hidden under dashboard

very small backlit keyboard its on my cup holders, kept in plcae with velcro strips, cables hidden under ashtray

GP2X power switch kept to on so when i start my car my headunit starts, my LCD screen starts, and my GP2X starts.

cant get shell script working even for 1 app tho. it SHOULD work but it wont. Also cant get GP2X to read my USB HDD, sees and talks to the drive but shows nothing when i try and access it (yes its FAT32)

you could take it stright from the batter if you with, but the good thing about doing it this way is a have about 3 fues per power input so no chagne of blowing anything up. Any you could prop skip the keyboard, im just fussy.

On the subject of shell scripts, are they formatted using Unix line endings? The GP2X will not recognise them otherwise.

Back